Home Unreal Engine

VR recommended font size?

Splidsecond
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Splidsecond polycounter lvl 3
Hey Everyone! 

I'm working on a VR game and I need to display text on the screen. However I can't simply test it as I don't have access to a VR device at the moment. 
I've done some research but there don't seem to guidelines or something like that. 
Can anyone recommend a minimum font size? What are your experiences with text in VR? 

Replies

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    There is nothing like "font size" in VR except something you would compare to real printed text. You have to think in a way like holding a page of  a newspaper in front of you. Can you read the text on it? No? Then you need to scale up the font.

It's font height in relation to distance to the viewer.

One thing you have to keep in mind is the resolution of the VR display. In a perfect world you wouldn't notice any pixels but the current hardware has still a somewhat noticeable fly screen effect. 
    But without testing this yourself you have to calculate the amount of pixels you have to display your text to be still readable.

In my experience atm the font should be as big as big newspaper headlines when viewed from a similar distance as a newspaper.
    Smaller text tends to flicker when you move your head or is simply unreadable.