Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WW2 shelter medical bay

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
I am working on a new environment based on this piece of concept art:

Here is my current blockout:

I think my blockout appears too long, I think I need to make the crates on the right shorter and move the bookshelf closer to the bucket so that I can move the camera forward slightly. Any crits?

I still need to work on 

- Getting the wooden supports right, I just threw a couple in atm without any care for spacing
- Make roof less cylindrical, make it a slightly more flat curve
- Add in drip and wheelchair in corner
- Add canvas on walls

I managed to find the two posters used in the concept art, they are both british pieces:

Replies

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    I think the dome roof part needs to be a bit thinner just bring it down a touch and should look good :) 
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    In the concept the walls are made up of 7 divided sections, you have 4 large sections.

The wall in the back is wider, the ceiling needs to be pulled down, the beds need to be a bit larger.

Look at the cot, that is most likely 6 feet long in real life. The cot takes up the length of three slabs of tile. Three slabs of tile is about 6 feet. Use measurements in this fashion to pull the proportions closer to the concept.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper said:
    In the concept the walls are made up of 7 divided sections, you have 4 large sections.

The wall in the back is wider, the ceiling needs to be pulled down, the beds need to be a bit larger.

Look at the cot, that is most likely 6 feet long in real life. The cot takes up the length of three slabs of tile. Three slabs of tile is about 6 feet. Use measurements in this fashion to pull the proportions closer to the concept.
    Thanks for the crit :)

I initially had the bed smaller but I made it bigger. I was using a human base mesh for measurements (along with measurements found online). I agree looking at it now it does seem as if the beds are too short, I need to make them a bit longer. The space is too narrow due to the proportions of the bed being off, once I make the beds longer and correct the walls to get the same spacing it should sort that out. 

In the screenshots I posted I hadn't worked on the wooden supports yet, which I noted as something I needed to fix, I have already fixed this but I need to post some new screenshots, its pretty late here in England (like 2am) so I will post them tommorow. I have already fixed the slope of the roof as well. 
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is getting closer, just need to fix up the scale of the pillars, at the moment there are 8 instead of 7.

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I am happy with the blockout, any crits before I move forward with this?

I am thinking of adding the other end of the room as as well so that its a full room
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't forgotten this :)

Been learning a bit of UE4 recently trying to get to grips with more of the interface and processes, this is my first proper attempt with most this stuff so I am learning as I go.

I learn't how to use multi sub object materials in max and got them working in unreal. They are pretty WIP but I think they are looking fairly similar to the concept art. The lighting is all temporary, I don't really have much idea what I am doing with it atm but I needed some light so it wasn't pitch black :D

With some basic wood materials and unbuilt lightin:dizzy:

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added the walls, still a WIP, still need to fix the lighting

High and low poly:

normal map:

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Looking solid so far.

Keep at it
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did a bit of research on lightmapping (WarrenM made a perfectly timed video :D) and managed to fix the lighting errors on the props.

Still not gotten very far with lighting yet, I need to do some playing around with settings to get down what everything does. 

Started working on the crate prop:

I found a prop on artstation which had bent nails, as I want to add as much detail as I can to these props I am thinking of using something like this. As the top will be removable (one crate has its inside visible) you will be able to see the ends of the nail on the inside of the box and on the base of the lid.

reference:

I need to buy more ram, but once I do I will begin sculpting.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Its been ages since I posted anything :o

Modeled this syringe tonight:

DymsqAOpng

reference:

yZ0rF8Pjpg

made a bench the other day as well:

GotIZzgpng

Doesn't look exactly like the concept, but its based on references I found

Buying my PC parts this week so I can start doing some Zbrush work, gonna try and get most of the small highpoly pre-sculpt meshes done this week, the wheelchair is probably going to take a bit longer

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Didn't get as much as I wanted done this week, got a bit lazy. Anyways, heres some high polys I have done recently.

9nYcluVpng

gfesWaZpng

NXyNecLpng

K2pP6Xjpng

dyActe7png

TcRCb14png

I started working on the oil lamp, still got to add the beams on the sides and the wires on the glass, but its pretty close to done. 

I decided to change the look of the shelves a bit, kind of improvised it. The original shelves in the concept art are really basic blockouts and as they are pretty close to the camera I wanted to make them look a bit more interesting and detailed. What do you think? 

still got a few props like the beds, sacks, bottles and gas canister. Then I have to work on the larger props like the wheelchair. I have the posters and decals done, still have to put them in unreal. 

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    It's coming along quite nicely, one thing I'm noticing throughout all your highpoly models is you are modelling in these micro bevels which gives a nice highlight within max. But, will barely show at all in your normal maps if you use average texture sizes and look at the objects from a normal distance.
    Remember to beef up those edges, I know it goes against modelling for realism, but when you are making assets that have a usual observable distance (props usually, and the distance being medium to far)  your edges won't even be seen unless you make sure you model them 'fatter'.

One way of making sure you do this, is to insert the edgeloops from while looking at the object from the distance you will see it in game, if the edges don't look clear with a highlight, it will be even less visible in engine. 
    Everyone always posts this to help explain this issue, but really it explains it well.

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress on the lamp, just got to add handles and it will be done.

I got a bunch of new pc parts the other day, just waiting on my ssd now. Once all my parts are fitted I can start practicing with Zbrush and maybe try out some substance or quixel suite. 
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Modeled a light based on a design I found online. I liked the kind of military look to it, thought it would fit well with the idea of a war bunker. 

oDzK49kpng

Heres a bunch of reference images if you want to see how it looks irl

http://www.lux-est.c...tml?language=en

some parts aren't a perfect match but they are close enough to be believable

• amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looking forward to this
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    textured some scissors today

Lowpoly normals:

Sketchfab