Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Turtle Merchant

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jarran polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, I've recently finished my final university project. Eventually I'd like to go back to this and rework some parts I feel are lacking so any crit is very welcome.

With this project I aimed for current gen tech limits and aimed to learn as many softwares and workflows as possible. I have used 3ds Max, Marvelous and zBrush for the assets. I manually textured some parts and used Substance Painter/Designer for others. I would have preferred to make my own Substances but ended up using Substance Share to save time. The project is presented in UE4 - here's the video flythrough and a bunch of pictures.

Loads more pictures located either at www.jarran.co.uk or https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qZKrz (so this post isn't a mile long)

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• KrisLW
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    Very cool concept, and very well executed! That turtle looks ferociously prehistoric :smiley:

If/when you come back to this in the future, my main critique would be the lack of a color palette. The roof, walls, props, turtle, the merchant's skin and clothing, etc... everything is basically all the same color. The physical appearance of the materials are all very nice, but it's one giant lump of tan. Even the background is a similar color.

You've got a nice warm/cool lighting scheme going on, but I feel like the blue on the side is a bit too strong. It comes off as artificial, like there should be a blue light over there rather than just ambient tones. (Although it is nice to see something that isn't tan)

Lastly, if I had a wish, I'd love to see this thing in action! I dunno if you have this rigged (or have intentions of doing so at this point) but even some ambient movement would be nice - the lift swaying back and forth, the blanket billowing in the breeze, maybe some smoke coming from the chimney, that sort of thing. :)
  • Jarran
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    Wow thanks a lot, I'm glad that you think so!

Yep totally agreed with all of your points. The oversaturated blue is literally there just to break up the lump of tan. Unfortunately I kinda got to the end of this and then realised that it was all one colour so its definitely something I'd revisit, possibly just with a new lighting setup or some other bits to break it up.

The turtle and merchant are rigged - originally the plan was to add motion capture to the Merchant and I almost had that working along with cloth physics but had a major problem at the last hurdle :( It is a really nice idea though and something definitely worth adding, thanks!