Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hand Painted Creature

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
Hey polycount community, 

I've been a bit timid to post my work on the forums because there are so many outstanding artists on here, but I figured I would share what I have been working on for a independent project of mine.

I draw my inspiration from years of painting Warhammer miniatures and having endless fun amassing a collection.

Here is my first real 3D model I have created for a monster I'm putting in game, the cool thing is that using poly paint feels just like painting those little miniatures so I've really been enjoying it. I figured I would post my WIP with it here for feed back and C&C from other artists.

So far it's been just putting the color in for the skin I think I like the tones as it reads well from far away, I have yet to get to the nails, mouth, scales, and shell.

Thanks much in advance :)

~Apoc

Replies

• Apocrs1980
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another update to the color progression.
    If anyone has any feed back for color choices it would be appreciated, I thought about adding in tones of purple for the beak, scales, and shell with the bluish hue I have going on or making the shell on the back more rock like. Haven't been able to decide.

thanks all for any C&C you may have :smiley:
  • Apocrs1980
    Offline / Send Message
    little bit further on the colors. Trying to maintain that Hand painted look mimicking a dry brush. so far so good :expressionless:

Now just to push the top shell pieces a bit further then on to the scales... it's going to be tedious ha.

• heyguy
    Offline / Send Message
    heyguy polycounter lvl 5
    Good update. As I was looking at your early images, I thought to suggest adding sharpness, curves and wear on the shell. Glad you did that. Just my two cents but I think maybe you should add stronger greens into your skins. Just my suggestion! Keep it up!
  • Apocrs1980
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Heyguy,

thank you very much for the feedback very much appreciated and I agree, defiantly needs some more contrast to try and make things pop. I guess I just need to not be afraid to go bold. I played around a bit putting some details in such as mottling in the areas with the most green however my main issue is it starts to get muddy when viewed from afar.
    It's been a challenge trying to strike that balance between readability and detail.
    I've read a lot of critiques on the forums and taking all the advice given into account and a lot of reference searching online to get this far. Ultimately I want him to have that feel of you looking at it and saying "damn that would be a nice collectable to go on my shelf." :)

~Apoc
  • Apocrs1980
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update, I think I have pushed it as far as I can with Poly paint. Time to jump into PS for some more detailing. Thanks again Heyguy, I think darkening the green really helped with the contrast.