Home Adobe Substance

Consequences for using exploded model for world space normal and position maps?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thane- polycounter lvl 3
I am wanting to use my exploded model for the world space normal and position, for which all repeating geometry has mirrored UVs. Is there any problem with this if i just want to apply wear effects? I want to maybe apply a light layer of dust, where surface orientation would be, i'm assuming, be the only important value, can you see any issues there?

What is the world space normal used for, versus the position map?

For learning purposes, what would i be missing out on by not using the full model or not mirroring the geometry uvs? Can someone give a few brief examples? I can only think of a gradient effect like dirt coming from the ground.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    As long as nothing is randomly rotated you won't have any issues using your exploded model for baking a world space map (as far as I know; perhaps world space is different from object space, I haven't really tried it yet). World/Object space maps are used to mask a particular direction, so you could use it to have dust gather only on the up facing parts of your model.

Position is a gradient based on the geo's position, so your exploded model will have a big difference here. Just bake it and see what it's like. What I'd do is bake everything you need from the exploded model, then import the non-exploded mesh in and bake just the position map. Or do the reverse order if you want to paint on your exploded model. Experiment and see what works for you.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the input, that makes me feel better.