Home Unreal Engine

[UE4] What am i supposed to do with specular input? :)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Lether polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

I know there are plenty of thread on this subject but i don't find (understand?) what to do with specular input in ue4.
If I use it (specular input) to tweak my matérial, is it bad? Does it "destroy" all the PBR data on my matérial if I use it?
If you know a thread who discuss about my question I'd be happy to take a look on it. I searched after one, but didn't find... So much thread over here :smile:

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    In most cases, you just leave it alone. Only in very rare cases would you ever need to modify it in anyway.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    You don't have to use it. By default the engine has it internally set to 0.5 and it applies to all non-metals. The entire shading model of standard materials is based on the assumption that the materials have a 0.5 specular intensity. The simple use of it is to just use a constant and a value of 0 to 1 to adjust the strength to increase/decrease specularity, which in most cases has a stronger impact on Fresnel and the falloff. But some people use something like a cavity map as a form of micro-occlusion to reduce the strength of reflections in areas of the normal map that might feel too reflective. 
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you guys. Exactly the answer i wanted to read :) Simple and clear ! Now i understand perfectly. Have a good night ;)