Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Office Space - Lighting Critique

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
neverwander polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycounters! 

I'm looking for some lighting critiques on a scene I'm working on for an arch viz project. I've hit a bit of a wall, lighting-wise. Any suggestions are welcome. (FYI, we are using a custom PBR engine)

Replies

• ParksMarks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParksMarks polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, Neverwander
    I think your lighting is nearly there! If you wanted to make it look more presentation-worthy, consider introducing more coloured lights. Looking at office photography on google, alot of it features a cool outdoor light flooding into the space. Retail photography is often done at twilight in order to push the contrast between the cool outdoor light and the warm indoor light, making things more visually interesting.
    Something else you could look into are reflections on all your glass surfaces. Those would be especially useful since it would help sell ' modern chic office' Generally, your surfaces look very diffuse. Are you able to make use of local reflection volumes?
    Finally, if its within your control ( and if things still aren't working out) you could try colouring one wall a saturated colour. Disneyland designed its scenery to look good even in flat overcast lighting by designing in large patches of local colour. You could try using the blue or lime green already in your scene.
    If all else fails, you can use some beautiful photography as reference and just balance the lighting in your scene out to match. Best of luck!
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the input Parksmarks! I'll try to work everything into the scene and post back here once the changes have been made.