Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ UE4 ] - Crystal Flame Valley

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone,

Thanks for clicking here

I am working on a medium - sized, stylized environment and thought I`d share some early stage screenshots. The idea is to create a very atmospheric forest scene where colors, lighting and silhouette dominate instead of low - frequency details. I will be using normal maps and the PBR workflow, aiming to create something a bit more realistic compared to Heroes of the Storm's visuals. Pretty much all the models are placeholders (stuff I just had lying around).
I will share a bit more info about my references and exact plans with this work, although at the moment I am having a bit of technical issue and thought I`d ask for a bit of help:

I`m having a small issue when adding grass onto my land mesh. The plan is to have full control over my landscape, hence I've created a polygonal mesh in Maya and am using that in Unreal. It's quite easy to tweak some verts here and there and then send it back over to Unreal. I've found that even though Landscape is great, it's not the most ideal of tools when you want to create something very specific. Having a polygonal mesh and moving verts around seemed like a better idea, but I`m open to suggestions.

I am also using the Foliage Mode to place grass planes on my land. The problem occurs when I update my land mesh. Obviously the grass does not adhere to the changes in the model, so wherever I moved some verts down lets say, my grass planes end up hanging in the air.

I was wondering whether anyone could suggest me a way to have my land as a polygonal model which I can update in Maya easily, but have grass on it that follows any changes.

Quick screenshots of the scene: