Home General Discussion

DOOM

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
oglu polycount lvl 666
this new gameplay trailer looks really good...
i like the old mood...

https://youtu.be/txmv2qFRuxI?t=3358

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this gameplay actually looks better than I expected, so quick and fun, like theres loads of player decisions every few seconds about how to kill each enemy haha.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Wasn't the biggest fan of the multiplayer.  It was fun, felt like doom, but overall got pretty bored after a handful of matches.  I am hoping this was just due to the content quantity being limited because of it being open beta.  This SP preview on the other hand though, I might buy it just for SP and see the MP as a bonus lol.  Gameplay looks awesome.  
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I don't give a rats ass about multiplayer, so I'm here solely for the campaign, and it looks amazing. 
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I'm actually genuinely excited for this to come out
  • Principe Daemoniorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Principe Daemoniorum polycounter lvl 2
    The multiplayer alphas and betas I played were really bland and safe, but the singleplayer looks so much better. Pretty damn fast and action packed.
    The art is great too, I can clearly see they let the artists do what they do best.

I'm not exactly in love with it.
    It still has character and weapon upgrades and other pseudo RPG mechanics like everything else. You could always just no use them I suppose.
    Also the cutscene insta-kill chainsaw is a bit cheap.

Also wtf is with monsters dropping health and ammo? That's such a dumb idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92rgRDT0lI
    This kind of explains why it happens in the story, but really it just makes the game look so damn easy.

I hope the level design is good at least, it certainly doesn't look entirely linear from what I can tell.
    I just hope it doesn't do the Serious Sam thing of locking you in a room, like every other 'old school' shooter does these days.

Has there been any confirmation about real modding yet? Modding would completely quell all of my fears about this game.
    Snapmap looks like a great tool for in game content creation but I can't imagine it can fix any problems with the base game.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I liked the multi, save for the weird balance (plasma damage < machinegun damage wtf) and the sound channel issues, and the aimbotters cropping up later into the beta which is inevitable anyway.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good, too many projects / personal projects to finish.  Only time I can game is if I'm not literally at home.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Gives some good impression after the multiplayer beta letdown...
    This reminds me that i'm currently stuck in the Doom 3 endboss battle in my latest playthrough ...
    Have to give it another try ...
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    looks like this game wants to be played with mouse and keyboard...
    https://youtu.be/anrvBD4aTGY?t=241
  • oglu
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    oglu said:
    looks like this game wants to be played with mouse and keyboard...
    https://youtu.be/anrvBD4aTGY?t=241
    That's just freaking mental, can't wait to get stuck in. SP campaign all the way for me :wink:
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    i was on the fence, but i pre-ordered and am looking forward to playing.  the art looks great and gameplay looks fun
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Stayed up for the unlock and played for the last 2 hours. Pretty awesome actually! Better than I'd feared. Looks great, runs surprisingly well on my older 670. 
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap this game is fun as hell. A couple of hours in so far but it is exactly what I wanted. 
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    love the campaign, but it's very short!

I didn't expect to see an art style very similar to darksiders, it feels very cartonish imho, and more looking at the monsters and skulls.

The guns are awesome, the best of the best of the game for me.

What i didn't like is the bad perfomance on a GTX 680 SOC. In games with better graphics and texture resolution i get more than 60fps+ min such as Rise of the tomb raider.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    The game is amazing, people wanted it to be fast and yeah, it's fast. Not running into your own rockets Quake-style fast, but fast enough
    Love how quickly the game puts a gun in your hand (i.e. the first 5 seconds) and how little character development there is. I had my doubts about the glory kill system but the animations/sound design make them really addictive to execute. I also have the runes which speed them up and give you armour when you do them, so I'm ripping and tearing every 2 seconds. Brilliant
    If you're a bad enough dude I'd recommend Ultra Violence difficulty as it seems to be balanced pretty well.

Apparently the pistol has 'LFG' on the side, as in 'little effing gun', and the Chinese characters mean something along the lines of 'not a knife'. Pretty hilarious 

• lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I was skeptical about the game, but this Doom is surprisingly good. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun in a shooter. Loving the gameplay and level design.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The last time I had this much fun playing Doom was playing Doom. Actually it was while playing Brutal Doom. I was hoping this release would be good and it hasn't disappointed.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Was not a fan of the MP beta, and I was hesitant, but damn.... Did they kick that back down my throat and then chop me up with the chainsaw... the SP has been phenomenal.  That opening elevator ride was probably the most excited I have ever been about a game.  The Riff + Shotgun shell eject + DOOM logo.  *Mind Blowing*  
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r said:
    Was not a fan of the MP beta, and I was hesitant, but damn.... Did they kick that back down my throat and then chop me up with the chainsaw... the SP has been phenomenal.  That opening elevator ride was probably the most excited I have ever been about a game.  The Riff + Shotgun shell eject + DOOM logo.  *Mind Blowing*  
    I had a friend over last night and played the beginning again, and yeah, it's pretty perfect. I love how when Hayden mentions in the elevator ride about doing what they did for the good of humanity, Doomguy looks down right at that second at a corpse at his feet. 

• TheMadArtist
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    UGH, another First Person Shooter?  Just what the world needs!

Just kidding, it looks pretty cool, I just think it's funny that people will complain about another MOBA or survival game when the game industry has been dominated by shooters for 20+ years.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Finished the campaing, it was amazing, I disliked that it was too short, I remember playing Doom 2 for ages, being stuck on levels and feeling so good when progressing to the next areas; it took me 8 hours, completing about 50% of secret areas and power ups. I also think that the Imp and Pinky models could have been done differently, closer to the original, especially the Pinky demon. But everything else was great, monster and weapon design, and the sprawling levels!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Publishers really need to find a viable way to distribute hard copies of these big games. I'm into my second day of downloading with approximately 53 hours remaining.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Justin Meisse said:
    UGH, another First Person Shooter?  Just what the world needs!

Just kidding, it looks pretty cool, I just think it's funny that people will complain about another MOBA or survival game when the game industry has been dominated by shooters for 20+ years.
    Well, do understand, there are very different types of shooters. I personally don't care at all for COD or such games.....but there really aren't many oldschool shooters with frantic action. And even then, you had shadow warrior and serious sam games mostly, or similar....which were awesome games, but i'm not sure if you'd really call them AAA(A) games like CoD, they are still mostly done by smaller studios.

I know some people may think CoD, Doom and other FPS Games are similar, but to me, they are night and day. And there just aren't top quality oldschool FPS games like doom nowdays on PC at least....
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    What's the verdict on multi-player?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    just found out there is going to be a Doom Art Book :) sweeeeet!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Publishers really need to find a viable way to distribute hard copies of these big games. I'm into my second day of downloading with approximately 53 hours remaining.
    Holy shit dude... that's horrible.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's a rubbish connection, even by Australia's extraordinarily low standards. Just about to pass the half way point with approximately 40 hours left.

This game better be awesome.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I know what you mean we do have tons of shooters,  at least a lot of shooters have a single player campaign with a story these days, name one moba with a good single player campaign? Mobas seem more like a sports game, like fifa or pro evo or madden, I think thats why people get frustrated saying " do we need another football game? ".

Im hoping this doom game is less occult horror and more fun times? I wasnt so keen on the horror vibes in doom3 anyway.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Played it a bit over the weekend, and it's a lot of fun.
    A bit bummed they moved away from the horror aspects of Doom 3, but I see why they did. (Most people weren't fans of that change of direction)

Level design in the first couple of hours felt a little stale after a bit, to me. Lots of yellow and black grating and railings and stuff. The few pieces of Mars I saw were beautiful though. Seems like it gets pretty otherworldly later on in the game; hoping sooner than later.

Gameplay is great, and the kill animations are very satisfying. And the weapons handle well. Has the same great shooting feel as RAGE did (which is the only shooter I've loved, ever.)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the verdict on multi-player?
    Honestly I think it's fun. It's an arena shooter, feels a lot like Quake actually. It's not reinventing the wheel, but I still enjoyed it, from what I've played of it. 

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Anyone tried to collect and complete all objectives? Damn some of them are tricky, where you go "NOOOO, why did you die, I needed to shoot you with this gun!". Love the game, been a long time since I had this kind of good old jump around shooting fun. And the flashback feels every time you open one of the doors in the legacy secret level areas...darn.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I am enjoying the game so far, I have found a few bugs here and there, but overall just a fun game.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it took somewhere in the range of 80 hours to download, but I've got it now and it's as good everyone suggested. More than anything it reminds me of the Flying Wild Hog remake of Shadow Warrior in structure and play style and I loved that game too.

My only complaint at this stage is that there could be a few more checkpoints so I do less wandering across an empty level, getting insta-gibbed by a shield guy and having to trek across it again. The fact that upgrades are checkpointed separately does help alleviate this a little, but it does get a bit annoying when trying to get through a particularly tough section.
  • Principe Daemoniorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Principe Daemoniorum polycounter lvl 2
    Man some of the speedruns of this game are already pretty good.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    getting insta-gibbed by a shield guy and having to trek across it again. T
    HA so true.

I'm really loving this game though. Originally I played it on PS4 at work and was kind of meh about it but holy shit on PC is it a completely different game. I absolutely love how much the game encourages constant movement on higher difficulties. The weapons feel great as well and every one of them seems to have a unique purpose for each encounter.

Finally, the one thing that I was not expecting is a pretty awesome upgrade system. Having two upgrade paths for each weapon + character upgrades + rune challenge upgrades really helps the game feel fresh after hours of gameplay.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    This game is so awesome. I love the exploration aspect. It reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime.
  • Warhawk,
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk, polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I was completely blown away with the single player campaign, the multiplayer left me almost not to buy the game.

I have been playing it every day for a few hours on Ultra violent and I am loving it so far. The early stages are a little harder because the lack of ammo and health, but once I upgraded my suit and weapons, it was a blast ripping all the demons to shreds. And I really love the gory kills, so awesome and fun to do. What also surprised me was the exploration parts it is fun and challenging at the same time and well worth the time to do so. Lots of stuff to find and pickup and how can you not love the little Doom guy action figure.

Towards the end game gets a bit repetitive and it serves demons like there is no tomorrow. But it also makes you feel such a bad ass when you final beat that part. Also the game looks gorgeous, kudos to all the artists. I probably made hundreds of screenshots. The hell levels look awesome. I highly recommend it to every FPS player.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think I've played a FPS this fun since Half-life 2 Episode 2.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Let's see if they also release the ost, cuz i like the music of Doom!

Did you hear that Bethesda?
  • Mstankow
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • oglu
    Options