Home Unity

Animating a cloud mask for an emissive shader

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
I am looking to create a laser grid with an animating cloud mask that will show off the light and dissipate.  I'm new to Unity and it's shader system.  Below is a render through Substance Designer of what I'm working on. 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You probably need to write your own shader for this. If you're comfortable writing code, there are plenty of resources about the Unity shader syntax.

However if you're like me and you prefer node-based visual editors, then take a look at Shader Forge. It's not free, but it's well worth the cost. I've been doing a ton of work in it, I put some samples in my Digital Sketchbook thread. http://polycount.com/discussion/160691/sketchbook-eric-chadwick There are also a lot of resources on the Shader Forge site, and on the web.

Do you want the gaps along the triangle edges? If the triangles are always going to be nearly the same size, then you might get away with mapping each face individually with a triangle-shaped mask.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    I had this whole comment ready to go and mentioned Shader Forge and apparently, we have it and I just wasn't told.  Ha ha!  It wasn't installed on my PC, now it is and I look forward to playing with this.