Home General Discussion

Zbrush Summit 2016

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
I was just curious if any of you guys are going to be attending the Zbrush Summit this year or if you have attended previous years.

I really just want to know if you guys think its an event worth attending as I am thinking about doing a trip this year?

link to event info:
http://summit.pixologic.com/

Replies

• Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    Two previous Summits vere awesome, I wish I had attented them in person instead of watching stream/recorded (I`m living just too far away from the US)
    2016 should be at least on the same level.

For me watching how the best industry professionals work not only teaches me tips`n`tricks, but helps to boost confidence. That way I know when my work sucks it`s not that I`m doing something completely wrong.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I am travelling all the way out of Australia to see it, but judging from last year I think it will be pretty awesome. I always love watching the pros do what they do best and its always entertaining watching the presentations. 
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Going to tune in online.  Wanted to bump this thread up in case people may not be aware that the summit is this weekend.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Is streaming it still free?  I checked out their site and wasn't sure.

Stupid question, the answer is yes.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the Peter Konig free one looks ace
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Huge applause for a normal 3d transform gizmo.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    m4dcow said:
    Huge applause for a normal 3d transform gizmo.
    fancy
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Anything cool announced yet?

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Transform Gizmo and 3D brushes were my main takeaways, there was also some boolean stuff but I wasn't paying attention so I'm not sure what was noteworthy about it.

They're releasing stuff as a ZBrush 4R8 update and they formally announced ZBrushCore which looks pretty nice for anyone who can't afford the full verison.

Feature comparison between ZBrush and ZBrushCore
    http://zbrushcore.com/features
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I'm here, come say hi at the Bethesda session on Sunday.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm curious how the new transform gizmo will work. The existing one isn't exactly intuitive, but it actually turned out to be pretty awesome once I figured it out. I haven't found it to be lacking in any big way. The new one does sound like it combines translate/rotate/scale, which could be nice?
    I love how easily the existing one allows you to transform something either along the normal of your selection or in a base axis or even any arbitrary axis, and easily move the location of the pivot.
    There are definitely ways it could be improved, but based on what I saw I'm concerned about a loss of functionality.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    The normal transpose tool is still there.  I prefer that one too.  I think from a user's perspective, it helps to know that the developer designed the software to be used with a tablet.  Most of the tools are really comfortable with a pen, but not a mouse.

I think their goal with Core was to make it more accessible to people who are just starting out.  The standard transform gizmo, stock projects and feature set are all aimed in that direction.  Overall it seems like a good move.  I have no regrets whatsoever about owning the full version though.

Pragmatically, I think they got booleans working they wanted and then realized they could make seven or eight more enhancement JUST by building on that system.  The new alpha functionality, the ability to continue subsequent strokes around a mesh (woot!), etc. are all built on that one enhancement.

My takeaway is that every year, there's someone who says "Yeah, well they should focus on improving what's already there.  Not adding new stuff." and it looks like that's exactly what they did this year.  Good stuff.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I was wondering about that 30 zbrush limit in Core edition. Does it include Customer brushes, mesh brushes? Or is it some hard-coded limit in the app so it can't store more than 30 brushes? Also does Core support plugins like FBX import/export and decimate master?
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Core seems like a let down, they're really going after the 3d printer hobbyists, not so much game artists.

Granted I read in the thread, zbcore people will get some kind of discount if they want to upgrade to full. But when they do things like have 20% off during the summit, it's not like it really matters.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg said:
    Core seems like a let down, they're really going after the 3d printer hobbyists, not so much game artists.

Granted I read in the thread, zbcore people will get some kind of discount if they want to upgrade to full. But when they do things like have 20% off during the summit, it's not like it really matters.
    I'm disappointed that they have Core at all, instead of just Indie licensing. They've said themselves flat-out that maintaining two versions is cutting into development time for the main version. It's stupid.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    For some reason i half-assumed that they would announce that they inserted a full suite of low poly modelling tools enough to rival 3ds max +graphite modelling tools that would eliminate any need to buy maya/max/autodesk ever again.... :'(
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New chisel tools look great, but I can tell right off that I'll have to remake them. For some reason they incorporated the full chisel head all the way to the base, so it has a terrible round shape. You'll need to shave them all in half to get the proper depth/shape and make them usable.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    yes, I've checked ZbrushCore thread and it looks like Modo indie. You're better of with Scultpris if you want to learn some sculpting or 3d Coat.
  • JamesQuall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesQuall polycounter lvl 7
    dzibarik said:
    yes, I've checked ZbrushCore thread and it looks like Modo indie. You're better of with Scultpris if you want to learn some sculpting or 3d Coat.

I love modo indie.  Wish it was a little cheaper but for basic modeling I think it's the best deal available.

Zbrushcore on the other hand looks completely worthless.  No auto retopo, no uvmapping, very limited texturing.  What's the point?  Sculptris is a far better option and it's free.  I've even heard of some preferring sculptris to zbrush for rough layouts of models and then further detailing in zbrush.  
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I love modo indie.  Wish it was a little cheaper but for basic modeling I think it's the best deal available.

Zbrushcore on the other hand looks completely worthless.  No auto retopo, no uvmapping, very limited texturing.  What's the point?  Sculptris is a far better option and it's free.  I've even heard of some preferring sculptris to zbrush for rough layouts of models and then further detailing in zbrush.  
    There are people who actually use ZBrush to unwrap shit? 

I still do most of my retopo in other apps too, I mostly use zremesher to get sculptable topology on dynameshed clothing pieces. My memory is a little fuzzy but this seems like a pretty similar featureset to what ZBrush 4 originally launched with before the plethora of free updates.

As for sculptris being better and free, you could pretty much make the same case about Blender vs. Modo Indie.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Totally missed this summit. Where can I catch up on all the new stuff? They don't have anything on YouTube.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Totally missed this summit. Where can I catch up on all the new stuff? They don't have anything on YouTube.
    you can watch day one here : http://livestream.com/pixologic/2016ZBrushSummit/videos/137430095

PS. New feature announcement starts about at 08:27:44

Enjoy =)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
  • JamesQuall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesQuall polycounter lvl 7

There are people who actually use ZBrush to unwrap shit? 

I still do most of my retopo in other apps too, I mostly use zremesher to get sculptable topology on dynameshed clothing pieces. My memory is a little fuzzy but this seems like a pretty similar featureset to what ZBrush 4 originally launched with before the plethora of free updates.

As for sculptris being better and free, you could pretty much make the same case about Blender vs. Modo Indie.
    Zbrush's auto retopo is pretty legit now, and why not use it to uv map?  Sculptris goes about sculpting using dynamic surface subdivision.  Dynamesh sort of does this but still to this day isn't as good.

Also I know Blender and I know Modo.  I could make an entire living room set in Modo, in the time it would take me to build a couch in Blender.