Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Struggling Student looking for some direction.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Toafaloaf polycounter lvl 6
I am a college student and am kind of missing some information. I am currently using ZBrush to make my models and just got 3dsMax. I am trying to make high poly models look good low. I have watched many tutorials and have been studying 3d modeling for  a year. I managed to get my model looking kind of alright but the model in ZBrush is better. This is the model I am trying to learn the process with. I make it in ZBrush using dynamesh and decimation master. I append a zshpere and rig the models. Take out my high and low obj. and import them to xnormals. I take my normal map and ambient occlusion map and generate them. Then import them to 3d max and apply them to my model. I am just not sure how to make a really high poly mesh low poly. I am currently using a Cintiq companion 2. Once I got it out of 3dmax I tried importing it into unreal engine to see how it would look as shown in the pictures below. I had to switch the eyes and could not figure out how to bring the ZBrush material through the process. I am studying to become a 3d game artist  and I just cant seem to get through the whole process and a teacher suggested posting here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Vincent3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    You need to start learning the basic,don't go too fast,learn 3ds max first,then a texturing program(substance painter,photoshop,quixel,3d coat etc) and THEN after really knowing how it works,maybe start importing your model in Zbrush and sculpt. This website isn't expensive and got really good and basic tutorial for EVERY software.I suggest you start there.

Also,you need to know which path you want to follow(3d artist,props artist,environment artist,character artist,level artist etc.) this will help you in your choice of tutorial!

https://www.digitaltutors.com/11/register.php