Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop] Extension-> Lazy Save

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
EDITED:
I'm going to take this extension in a slightly different direction to just fill a part of my own workflow at least.

Going to make a little extension that allows users to click a button and have the Save As dialog pop up with the desired File Type already selected.
It's a simple extension idea and just meant to take out some of the really annoying things when you're working in a PSD and want to save out something. 

I know for me it drives me nuts when I want to save out a few images and have to go and select the type every time.
And not every time I'm working in PS is for textures so it might just be something to help with other art.

Replies

• Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Well i for one would be interested :)

• EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EJtheArtist polycounter lvl 8
    I'm interested in the feature you're talking about. Though, I might urge you to consider looking into substance and quixels, they seem to be good replacements for using Photoshop for texturing. But I still use Photoshop for my simpler texturing work and can't seem to get away from it alltogether. I'd love to have an easy way to save everything and preview it in engine quickly.

Photoshop now has like an 'export as' feature. Its nice but the problem is that I still have to go back into the settings when I want to save a transparency, and I still have to tell it where to save it. I would save so much time if I could just hit one button every time I want to view a saved change.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm interested in the feature you're talking about. Though, I might urge you to consider looking into substance and quixels, they seem to be good replacements for using Photoshop for texturing. But I still use Photoshop for my simpler texturing work and can't seem to get away from it alltogether. I'd love to have an easy way to save everything and preview it in engine quickly.

Photoshop now has like an 'export as' feature. Its nice but the problem is that I still have to go back into the settings when I want to save a transparency, and I still have to tell it where to save it. I would save so much time if I could just hit one button every time I want to view a saved change.
    I'm well aware of Quixel and Substance :) Haven't tried QSuite yet myself but I do enjoy Painter and Designer I just know there's still people using PS for texturing. And I need to sit down and get used to Painter more cause I find that I go to PS to do writing and decals but I bet there is a way that I just don't know about (haven't done tons in it)
    I wish that Adobe made the extension builder programs below CC a bit better cause then I could just slap the textbox for where to save your files in the panel and it'd be even more accessible but doesn't seem to be able to do that :(

I guess I'll start on this plugin then and see where it goes :)

• c.buliarca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c.buliarca polycounter lvl 9
    can you take a look on this tool:
    http://buliarcatools.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html

the video is old, the tool is updated but you can see the video tutorial just for info on how to use it

also there is this wiki with a lot of exporting tools to chose from:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/PhotoshopTools

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you take a look on this tool:
    http://buliarcatools.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html

the video is old, the tool is updated but you can see the video tutorial just for info on how to use it

also there is this wiki with a lot of exporting tools to chose from:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/PhotoshopTools

Wow, looks rad man. I know there's a bunch of exporters and such out there. This is not only for others, but also for portfolio stuff.
    (also as an Aside, I love the maya edge to PSD tool you made. Still blows my  mind)

I guess since there is already others out there that fill a pretty large and impressive gap, I could always try to find something else to create though. 
  • c.buliarca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c.buliarca polycounter lvl 9
    I see, yes for potfolio and lerning stuff this kind of tool is a great way to start. Thank you for the apreacitiation of edge to Psd script.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the original post with what I'm going to do with this extension.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, off the bat I was going to do PNG, JPEG (quality 12, progressive 3 scan)
    TGA (detect if it has 3 channels or 4 channels + to decide if it should be saved as 24/32bit) (also could put in a 24 and a 32 button if people want more control)

What other ones would people find possibly useful?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Tiff is always a popular choice..
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:
    Tiff is always a popular choice..
    What kind of settings are used usually for Tiff? I've never used it before
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do people usually resave their documents back to PSD after saving out a tif? Not sure if I should auto do that or not after saving a tif .
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
This discussion has been closed.