Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brutally Judge My Anatomy Sculpt! - Feedback mega welcome!

melli06
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
melli06 polycounter lvl 2
Hey all! I just did this anatomy sculpt as a sort of assessment of my understanding of anatomy. I would really appreciate some feedback. Feel free to be brutal I just want to improve my skills so any brutally honest comments are super duper welcome. I know it is kinda rough and simple, but I wanted to have a sculpt that was a little more clean with less random lines and anatomical mistakes that might mask a lot of the underlying mistakes I probably would make. I didn't spend much time on the head as I am more focused on learning the body right now. I would really appreciate any feedback! :)

Am I even close to solid anatomy?!?!?!  :s 
Thanks!

Replies

• Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    How much time did you spend on it?
  • melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He is the product of about 10 hours (way too long for what it is :( ) mostly me adjusting proportions and redoing stuff a lot. He is kinda unfinished and that clearly shows, but I felt like I was totally messing him up. In hindsight I realize he looks super lazy and messy, I didn't even make proper hands lol. I was pretty frustrated with him at the time so I just posted him. I'm gonna try and make a new guy and post him under here with a little more detail and care.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    melli06 said:
    He is the product of about 10 hours (way too long for what it is :( ) mostly me adjusting proportions and redoing stuff a lot. He is kinda unfinished and that clearly shows, but I felt like I was totally messing him up. In hindsight I realize he looks super lazy and messy, I didn't even make proper hands lol. I was pretty frustrated with him at the time so I just posted him. I'm gonna try and make a new guy and post him under here with a little more detail and care.
    I'll not comment on the anatomy, because I don't do that many characters, and there are people here that knows it waaaay better than me. But don't feel like you have to do your models faster, speed comes with time, and you should never sacrifice quality for speed, especially when you are learning. Keep it up! 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Clavicula is too Short. Measuring it out, one head would be 3,85, while achromium process to achromium process are just 6,21 not 7,7 as should be.
    Deltoid and Biceps are quite off. The Deltoid insertion on the humerus is ok, but it's origin on clavicula should be wider so the Deltoid is covering up the armpit (which here is just some undefined space between Biceps, Deltoid and Pecs.
    The Belly button and the huge lower Abs mass need to go higher. The end of the third head is slightly above the bellybutton and cuts through the lower double of the 4 abs, no the higher. Also your abs are way too wide leaving barely any space for the external oblique. The thoracic Arch goes from the end of the sternum down, the sternum end where the pecs end. The top 2 abs muscles are partly covering the arch but not to a degree as yours do. The pectoralis is not as huge and overlapping. Behind it, under the arm, should still be an area covered by the external oblique and the Serratus anterior (the 4-5 little fingers come from under the lats and interconnect with the external oblique).
    The iliac crest and the superior anterior iliac spine are higher up. 
    The legs...is it still WIP? becuse the satorius is not to be seen as is the tensor fasciae latae or the quads.
    The back is basically missing everything important. No Spine of the scapula, no medial border, no visible 7th cervic vertabrae, no spinus erectus, the trapezeus is missing any kind of indication where it's connecting to the head or where is even located (also this arrow tip shape that goes up the spine really shouldn't be there.
    The tricpes is missing its diamond shaped flat area to which the three heads grap onto.
    Again for the legs: You have to see how the "ass" is shaped by the Glutisimus maximus and midius around the greater Trochanter (which is hole on the butt cheek). They sag down forming the lowe part of the butt with fat (that most have).

Done 2 paintovers... really quick and dirty and probably didn't catch all issues.

• melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Anchang-Style Thank you for taking the time! I am gonna try and make another sculpt with the feedback you gave! Seriously I appreciate this so much!
    @Maxilator Thanks for the words of wisdom! I guess I get a little tunnel vision when working :)

Hopefully I will have a new sculpt by the end of the weekend, Cheers! 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know whats supposed to be at the front of a torso...but not really exactly where it is and how big it is.
    Since a lot of the issues have to do with size, maybe it makes sense to kind of measure out the body a bit. Take ZBrush, a model with decent anatomy (Zbrush ships with some of those), set your Transpose tool to 1 head (measure the head top to bottom and change transpose units under preferences to 1) and measure whats on the head positions front and back (yes front is 1. head, 2. down to the nipple line, 3. above the belly bottom, 5. the "junk", but back?).
    Here is another fantastic paintover for the back:

Color Coding:
    Dark Blue: Achromium process, spine of the scapula and medial border
    Orange: Trapezeus (The dot is the 7th vertabrae)
    Grey: Infraspinatus and Teres Minor (both have no real surface and just stay flat between the spine / Trapezeus and the sometimes gigantic Teres Major
    Green: Teres Major
    Violet: Deltoid
    Light Blue: Latissimus Dorsi
    Red: Spinal Erector muscle 
    Yellow: Tendon Sheet that covers the back
    Pink: External Oblique
    Black: The Posterior Anterior iliac Spine and the resulting Sacrum triangle, Iliac Crest, 

That's all the terms you need for the back. You should maybe look at the single muscles and their Origin and where they grab onto, because that can change their features (often the shape of the fibers). But for example the pectoralis has 3 heads that grab onto the humerus and run under the Deltoid. This has to be conveyed in 3D somehow.

Please let us know if there are other regions you have problems with.

• melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ANCHANG-STYLE Thank you so much! I did the head measurement and have been re tracing some of my busts with your advice. Your feedback is so helpful! 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you know this, but: use the raster for keeping your proportions in check. Evelate it to 0, setup your transpose units to 1 Square = 1 Head. Now you should have the Z Axis slicing your model in left right and X/Y meeting at the feet. Now you can use an array of 2 wide and 8 high squares to frame your figure.
    Also go onto google, look for pictures of models, bodybuilders, sportsman and such and throw them into Photoshop. Try to paint over the muscles, the more you do that the more you can see relations between muscles and important points (Front would be Scapula, Achromium process, Anterior superior iliac spine, iliac crest, thoracic arch, Manubrium, Sternum, and back: spine of the scapula, 7th vertabrae, spine, iliac crest, sacrum triangle, Greater Trochanter) and it will be easier to find a system of putting muscles in.
  • melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there guys n' gals! back with another sculpt, I have been kinda pressed for time so I haven't been able to spend as much time as I would like on anatomy sculpts  :(  I think he looks better than my last guy (not saying much lol), but I hope he shows at least a little improvement. I have not spent as much time digging into the legs so they are a bit half arsed, but I have been trying to nail down the torso and delts to the best of my ability. Arms are still super challenging to me, particularly the forearms. Fortunately I should have way more time this summer! I am thinking of starting a summer improvement thread or something along those lines. 

Any feedback is super appreciated! Also if anyone has any anatomy book suggestions I am all ears! Something that is pretty in depth would probably help.
    Thanks for taking the time! :) 

Quick edit: Forgot the nipples, cost of late night sculpting I suppose...
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    I'm no anatomy pro, but the latest one is looking waaaaay better. Chest and upper arms are probably the strongest parts, but there are a few parts where it almost looks like exoskeleton? Mainly on the lower back.

Good work!