Home Unreal Engine

Distance Field Global Illumination breaks with terrain - also..

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

Question 1.
When I have SM as floor, the DFGI behaves differently than when I have terrain. I kinda like the illumination from the terrain, but why do I get so brutal artifacts?

Question 2.

Can I combine DFGI and baked lighting?
Ideally, having DFGI on all assets which arent baked, but baking lights overwriting DFGI?
I find the before/after of baking lights too different for me to have fun working with it, which is why I started working with dynamic lights, but it would be nice to bake it down in the end, for production quality.

Any hints?

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The last time I checked out DFGI, it was limited to GI based on the heightfield of the terrain itself, which is why you're not seeing any GI when the floor is a mesh. The only other real-time GI solution in the editor right now is LPVs, which might be good enough for your scene since it's an exterior. You can also try faking GI with cubemaps or with an HDRI of a similar scene. If you want to do it manually, you can also place your own bounce lights to fake light bouncing off of the meshes where the sun hits. 
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Isnt that a different thing? As far as I could see, it was Distance field global illumination, AND height field GI from terrain, being 2 different things.
    Anyway, I went back to baked lights :D
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    It might be separated now, but I think when it was first implemented, shortly after DFAO, it was GI only from the heightfield. I've given up on all of them except DFAO, it works fairly well in most of the things I've tried it on. But DFGI(both types) have been nothing but trouble.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    You're probably right.
    Thanks for the info, I will stick to bakes, for a little longer, then :)