Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Black Blade - portfolio piece to learn PBR workflows

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
Haven't posted here in forever, so here goes:

I usually hang out in the Dota 2 section and my portfolio shows it. I'd like to expand on my skills and practice PBR workflows a bit and to learn Substance along the way. Which is why I chose this concept by Bjorn Hurri to tackle:

Cons:
- has a lot of different materials to tackle (leather, skin, hair, cloth, metal)
- major parts of the design are obscured

Pros:
- has a lot of different materials to tackle
- hits a nice middle ground between scifi and fantasy so that it works for both in terms of showcasing ability
- obscured parts leave room to incorporate a bit of design of my own
- pretty badass :)

So I did an initial breakdown/ref/concept sheet to figure out how I want to split the concept up into modules and how the obscured mechanical parts could work.

At the same time, I was going back and forth to Maya and zBrush and blocking in the basic shapes, making sure I was matching the proportions and volumes. I went ahead and spent some time posing the character because it allowed me to zero in on the correct proportions much quicker.

Once I had the proportions down, I started the detailing in zBrush which is where I am now. I want to go a bit more stylized in terms of the sculpt than the concept lets on, a few more and harsher corners, especially in the anatomy/face.

I'd love to get some critique on anything and everything. I'm having a hard time with the material definition and figuring out how much of it I should be doing in zBrush versus in Substance.

Replies

• Lucospade
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    Looks sweet man. Think about pushing the stylised thing a little more maybe? He has this monster machine on his back so maybe you could make his musculature a little more top heavy or even push the asymmetry on to the side with the cannon arm. Great job on the facial hair.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I worked on mostly the anatomy today, and ended up spending quite a bit of time on it since I have done it in a while., especially not to this level. Hands are still missing detail.

I also reworked the face seeing how the old one was barely more than a blockout.

Tomorrow:
    Finish the skirt, the upper body belts and the hands if I have time.

Thanks for dropping by, please leave C&C if you can, I'm doing this primarily to learn so any advice helps tremendously.

• purplekami
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    Loving this so far, super cool concept and it looks like you've got a good idea of where to go with this. The facial anatomy look pretty good to me, the ears could use a little more love I think and temples pushed in a touch. The eyes are also pretty high up, lowering them a touch might have a pretty big impact.
    I'm super excited to see how the arm turns out!
  • Blade113
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8