Home Technical Talk

Autodesk buys SolidAngle (Arnold renderer)

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
https://www.solidangle.com/news/solid-angle-joins-autodesk/

I've always heard good things about the Arnold renderer, but these acquisitions by AD normally don't mean good things long term. :T

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm curious how many companies Autodesk has bought at this point. Just search for "Autodesk buys" and you'll get a massive list. I just wish they'd make something big and new instead of killing things off with their acquisitions. 
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    oh my. and it's not even april 1st. say hello to stagnation then.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    with their shit development it is more just copyright trolling at this point
  • Pizdos
    Offline / Send Message
    Pizdos triangle
    ZacD said:
    I'm curious how many companies Autodesk has bought at this point. Just search for "Autodesk buys" and you'll get a massive list. I just wish they'd make something big and new instead of killing things off with their acquisitions. 

Your right, Autodeks business is more like buying others than innovating anything. And they wonder why peoples do not like them.
  • ZacD
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    with their shit development it is more just copyright trolling at this point

i wont say that... its still Solidangle... 
    its the same deal like with the shotgun developers... and they are doing very well...

also Bifrost in maya is doing well... it will take one or two years more to cook but there is a lot in the pipe...
    also MASH has changed a lot since the bought it... also for xgen are some cool thing coming...
    and the latest integration of the CamD PSD deformer is great... 
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm still convinced their plan was to kill Softimage from the start. Bought it 2008, announced dead in 2014
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I'm still convinced their plan was to kill Softimage from the start. Bought it 2008, announced dead in 2014
    Or maybe they just started to change their strategy ? I mean,lots of things can happen in six years,especially in the CG industry.

I never though i would say this but for the first time in my life i think Autodesk is starting to change a lot of stuff in a positivie way.Did you see that Extension 2 of Maya ?! It's like the 2012 and 2013 releases combined tbh.
  • swann
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    I still see only changed icons and bundling already made by someone else plugins. Old strategy applied in full scale. They just bought more plugins this time.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    nodeway said:
    I still see only changed icons and bundling already made by someone else plugins. Old strategy applied in full scale. They just bought more plugins this time.
    haha yes this is true, but I have to admit that the latest maya is loads better then before. The hotkey editor alone (ripped directly from XSI) is worth the update.