Home Dota 2

Undying Armor Set WIP

DJShenanigans
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DJShenanigans polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone! This is my first time making content for Dota 2, and I'd like some suggestions and advice. This is my WIP of the armor set I have right now and the concept work that went with it. Right now I'm just at the LoD0 stage, but what I'd really like suggestions on is what materials and what colors I should use when texturing this later. I have some ideas but I want more input before I go through with anything. Also, I'm planning on applying an alpha to the skirt-like piece (I don't know what else to call it haha) So that will be more defined like it is in the concept.

P.S. If anyone has any particularly great ideas for the belt design let me know!

Thanks!

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Undying's "pants" are not part of the armor, so unless you either need to scrap that part of the mesh or overlay on top of the "pants" mesh.  As for the pauldron, it looks really unbalanced, play with the shape more because it just looks like undying would just fall over.
  • aaronhiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronhiggins polycounter lvl 3
    ^^ Maybe keep the asymmetry but scale down the spines a little and add smaller ones on the opposite shoulder. 
  • DJShenanigans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GhostDetector The only two slots available on the Undying armor set are "helmet" and "armor." So I'm unsure where the "pants" would fit otherwise. The belt I know is actually part of the base mesh though, so I know I can't mess with that (unless I use the technique you stated, just creating something on top of it). 

As far as the pauldron I agree. I think I'll shrink the spines a bit and perhaps try and make something small on the opposite shoulder. I'll see what I can do with what polys I have available. 

Thank you both very much for your feed back!! :)
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly the idea of the extruding branches and the assymetry is beatiful for that shoulder. but yeah, it doesn't make sense, too imbalanced, what you could do to make it work is to make it extend from the back instead. Like it's penetrating the armor or something. Love the  helmet without anything on it, the plain shape and the lack of eyes adds a lot. That combined with the branches gives me almost a Guillermo Del Toro feel to the whole set.
  • Blade113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8
    that's a nice idea, i wish you luck here
  • DJShenanigans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys! :) There has been some rebalancing done to the set which I'm glad I did for sure. At the moment I'm texturing and doing maps. Right now I have a time constraint on this project (it's for a final for a class of mine), which is really forcing me to cut corners. But I will most likely be redoing this set during the summer months, so any ideas for revamping and improving it are appreciated!