Home General Discussion

Landed first job... but a little freaked out.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
So the good news is that I just landed my first job at a studio up in Seattle. Obviously I'm extremely excited and i'll be taking it but it's just that it came way sooner than I expected, and I'm kind of freaking out a little considering i'm only 19 and just in my first year of community college, living in a small town with my girlfriend and working at a movie theater. Basically I just can't help but have the thought that there's not a whole lot of job security in the industry and that me and my girlfriend are going to be stuck up there locked in a lease, without even my AA (She is going to be continuing school while working part time up there, while I will probably take like one online class a quarter to chip away at it.) If it were to happen we are so young that we wouldn't be able to last long with the cost of living. But also just a little worried about how the work culture could play out with me being 19 and some of the older veterans there in their late 40's that could be my dang dad. Any thoughts? Any tips?

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You've got this my main man! 
    Just go in their confident and ready to learn. Nobody's expecting you to have ALL the answers, but you gotta be serious. I've got faith in you amigo.

Great job :D
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Wear Pants and Shower 
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    In all seriousness , just be yourself stay calm and collected. They picked you for a reason roll with it. Look to your peers and superiors for knowledge and do not take anything as an insult. Want to learn 
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    At Hi-Rez, we hired a associate weapons artist who started at 19. I have since moved on to another studio but during his time there I didn't observe his age being an issue (although at 23 I felt pretty young myself). Just be professional and mature and age will not be an issue. 

The advice I would give to you is to always be super open to critique and always write it down when they give you critiques. In your next model, try to incorporate those critiques before you get the same ones if that makes sense. Show that you're listening and wanting to grow at every chance you get.

If given the chance to work with other departments, really try to work well with them and have a lot of communication back and forth. Getting noticed for collaborating well with not only your team, but other teams will go a long way when it comes time for evaluations. 

Since you're a bit younger, I would just observe the studio culture for the first week or two and do solid work. I worked on two teams at Hi-Rez and found that some people really love learning new techniques/willing to discuss workflow and others just want to do the same thing they've been doing and don't want to be bothered. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I got my first job at the age of 20 at a small studio in vancouver. I had similar fears of having a high ass rent locked in for a year. I was also working with people in their 30s-40s which I thought would be intimidating. I never even went to college, just high school so If the industry didnt work out, I was thinking I would be fucked. 

Then I found out, as long as you do a good job and don't act too immature, people don't care how old you are in the industry. This sounds like an awesome opportunity for you so just rock with it. Also, at the age of 19, you can fuck up so completley badly and still recover your life within a couple years. I am talking like going bankrupt and all that. Imagine the absolute worst scenario and then think about the actual likeleyhood of that happening. its probably about a 5% or less chance. even in that situation you could probably just move back home or find a local job to tide you over.

What you are experiencing is completely normal, its actually fear trying to keep you comfortable. Right now you probably have a routine and set lifestyle, so your brain is automatically going to try to use fear of change to keep you in the safety of comfort. Growth rarely, if ever, happens when someone is languishing in comfort. You just have to say fuck it and pull the trigger even if it seems risky (to be honest your situation sounds like it's really not and has a 95% upside possibility) 

I was in a similar situation when I started in the industry, paying $1k in rent a month to live in vancovuer on a juinor salary etc. long story short, things worked out and that was over 8 years ago now. Roll with the punches, get out of your comfort zone and have fun! 
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Got my first job when I just turned 21, Was on the ''baby'' at the company.
    Don't you let that bother you at all. It's a young industry and people are always glad to see talented young folks.
    Act as a professional and people will respect you and treat you as one.
    Cost of living in a bigger city is scary but nothing that cannot be done with a bit of budgeting and planning.
    Also a lot of people living in big city have no choice but to find a place to share with some roomies, it might not be the best but it's
    something you should consider!
    Plus it's a great way to possibly get to meet local people and get to know the city faster!

Good luck and congrats on the first job!!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I was in a similar situation when I was 20-21. Most of the people around me were 40 or older for a while. For the most part it wasn't an issue but I do feel like I was taken less seriously by the older senior staff because of my age. And I think I was also passed over for a promotion because of it (though maybe that's just what I tell myself to feel better about that.)

Depending on the studio culture I'd advise you to be very tactful about suggesting new techniques. In some cases not everyone will appreciate your knowledge of PBR and normal map baking.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Started in the industry at 17 in a smaller mobile games studio then off to a AAA job right after turning 19. I have no degree (dropped out of school to pursue full time portfolio building to then land my first AAA gig) and wasn't even old enough to drink at the team gatherings, but wasn't treated any differently than any other developer on the team.  The games industry is a very forgiving industry when it comes to age, as we are all just big kids at heart anyway, following our dreams :)  Not once was I asked my age in an interview thus far in my career, nor if I had a degree or not.  It was all about if I could do the job, and what I could bring to the company.

Just always continue pushing yourself, even now that you have landed your first games job.  Never stop building your portfolio, learning new tools, pushing your skills, etc.  
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all so much for the replys! You guys really eased up my nerves and The reply about getting out of my comfort zone was really motivating! thank you all so much!
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Like others said, they wouldn't have hired you if they didn't think you could do the job dude, you got this! Congrats, have fun and learn a lot :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Started my first job at Bungie when I was 21 and I interned at SOE during school where my Art Director mentioned how I was the same age as his son haha. I was however never asked in any interview ever if I had a degree or what my age was (however Bungie at the time new I had my degree and on my exit interview said it was a big factor in why they hired me when I had no other professional experience)

I got occasionally teased in a friendly way about my age and how I was a baby but no one ever really treated me any less. Especially after working with them for a bit, showing them that I was passionate about what I do, worked hard and was always trying to improve.

Just be yourself, work hard, ask questions and learn what you can. Make sure to learn when to ask for help and for people to show you things. If you are constantly bugging someone who has a deadline they are not going to want to help you as much and might dismiss you a lot.

Also dont fall into the pitfall lots of new people do and feel like they know more than the vets at a studio do if you know something they dont. Like if you know substance and someone at the studio you are going to work for doesn't, dont be a dick and be like "OMG YOU DONT KNOW SUBSTANCE!? I DO AM I'M JUST 19!". Its great when you can learn new things about it from people who are younger than you but if you are a dick about it or talk about how its so much better than the way someone else dose something they are going to write you off pretty quickly.

Congratz on the job :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Fake it till you make it :) Afraid of failing? Good, let that drive you. Work your butt off. Listen. Ask questions. Show you want to learn, that you`re willing to learn. Do that and you won't fail. You`ll only ever fail if you stop trying.

And ya.... shower...
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Joost said:
    I was in a similar situation when I was 20-21. Most of the people around me were 40 or older for a while. For the most part it wasn't an issue but I do feel like I was taken less seriously by the older senior staff because of my age. And I think I was also passed over for a promotion because of it (though maybe that's just what I tell myself to feel better about that.)

Depending on the studio culture I'd advise you to be very tactful about suggesting new techniques. In some cases not everyone will appreciate your knowledge of PBR and normal map baking.
    Seems really foolish look down on someone's work just because they're a lot younger than you. I started making game art when I was 14 using GMax, but there are industry professionals who started in their late twenties.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Grimwolf said:
    Joost said:
    Seems really foolish look down on someone's work just because they're a lot younger than you.
    People's egos get tied up in having X years of experience as they get older, sometimes unreasonably. It can make them uncomfortable when a younger person acts more authoritative about some technical thing, even if the kid is right. You need to be careful how you present new ideas upwards.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats on the job! I was pretty nervous going into my first studio job as well, but work hard, ask questions,  but first try to do a little googling yourself, if not don't be afraid to go to a peer for help, and be open to learning! There will be people of all ages as well, so just be mindful, professional, and friendly. You're going to learn a lot in the first few months! I was afraid I'd screw up, but that's going to drive you to be an even better artist! Also, you're going to be exhausted after work, but always try to have a side project outside of work related to the work your doing, always be striving to grow! 
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    Congrats for the job! I landed my first video game job this year,age 22,in a AAA game so I was really stressed I could not be good enough because I'm the youngest but after 4 months here,I can tell you I feel like I'm not 22 and that everyone is the same age,if that makes any sense. I even know a lot stuff that most people here don't know a lot (PBR,Substance etc..) so being young can be an advantage too! Don't be afraid,you'll do good!Be open-minded,don't forget that working in a company is really different from working alone at home,but it's really fun :)
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Hope everything turns out well for you son. Work hard and make the rest history
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Hey congrats! What studio you going to? I'm in Seattle at King/Z2 we should have lunch sometime. Just PM me and we can meet up somewhere. Been in the industry in just the Seattle area for over 17 years if that gives you any comfort. I've gone though 6 studios at that time, been through multiple layoffs, studio closures, and acquisitions, but have always been able to find work...it's a roller coaster ride for sure, but keep cranking out quality art and you'll be fine. It's worked for me. A lot of really great advice in this thread, take it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I am in my late 40's and hopefully I am not your dad, but anyway well done and try not to worry:)
    you might make mistakes and stuff, but try not to sweat it too much
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Don't worry ! Just be yourself and willing to learn.

Age isn't a problem, some of my best friend are way much older than me, they could be my mom ( they would have need to be teenmom but still) and  I get along with them really well, we have dinner together and do activity.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    Go for it, don't worry! I got my first job whilst I was still in Uni, so I had to do the job and complete the course at the same time. You'll be fine! And congrats :) 
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Congrats man! Change is good. If you are having doubts and fears then you are making the right decision. It's healthy. Be confident, but not cocky, take feedback positively and learn from your peers. You got this!!