Home Quixel Megascans

Solved: Link to download Quixel 1.8?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thane- polycounter lvl 3
EDIT: I actually found a local copy deep in my file structure. If anyone else would like a copy of 1.8, send me a PM.

Anybody have a download link for Quixel 1.8? I can't seem to find one outside of torrent sites. Or a copy you could send me. I'd really like to do a 1.8 vs 2.0 smart material screenshot comparison.

Also, do saved out the smart materials from 1.8 work and look the same in 2.0? I've been noticing some of the smart materials from 1.8 have changed for the worse, to put it ultra mildly.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Thane,

We don't support SUITE 1.X - all download links have been removed. The old materials from 1.X are not compatible with 2.X. The Legacy materials included with SUITE 2.X have been converted over to the new material code format, but may need additional tweaking to get the results you desire. :smile:
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Synaesthasia, thanks for your reply, you're always very helpful and friendly, even before you became an official rep for Q. 

Could you please however remove the "answered" tag from my thread for now. I was actually not addressing Quixel support. Im sure someone will have a copy somewhere. I hope. Having it that way will not encourage people from looking in to help should they know. 

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Sure, I've removed the tag for you. May I ask what you'd like to do with 1.8 while we're chatting?
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I want to upgrade to 1.8 for a bit to take some screenshots of the beauty that was the default smart materials that were in 1.8 so i can put shame to 2.0's default smart material settings, isn't that great!

In all seriousness, some of the smart materials that made my jaw hit the floor im sheer amazement seem to have been replaced by the textures used in one of the Stalker SOC mods that i passed on because it made my jaw hit the floor, but in a bad way... scientifically speaking(as im a scientist).
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I found a copy in my computer, feel free to add the "Answered" tag if you like.

If anyone needs a copy of 1.8 send me a PM.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    So it appears that the tacky texture (while still in the realm of possible) masking i was seeing in every smart material i tried applying has gone away somehow. It must have been a bug. Weird. I had hoped the bugs had been removed. I've had some other strange 1.8'ish things happening too. Windows not communicating with each other. I assume maybe i need to open as administrator maybe?

I just spent from 10am to 7pm taking screenshots in 1.8 and 2.0 to compare with each other as i thought this was a new direction Quixel was taking. :/
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Could I see some of these images, or perhaps a video? Almost every issue from the 1.X era has been solved, so I'll see what I can do to help you out here.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I've been having loads of little problems just in the short time i've spent familiarizing myself with Quixel2. Like smart materials only loading 2 out of 4 layers, NDO not updating despite clicking the refresh button, Dynamask editor not applying the mask i choose despite processing something in the background, and i once removed all but the paint layers in one smart material yet still had drip effects visible( i checked other maps/materials). I've taken some screenshots of these happening to try and be more helpful, but there are other things i've forgotten but im sure i will encounter again. Statistically speaking, the amount of errors i've had in the little time i've used Q2 leads me to believe Q2 is just as buggy as 1.8, perhaps not in quite as severe a way. I have both of the 3do and ddo executable set to "run as admin" btw.

Its hard to believe the interface was designed this way on purpose. I can't use half the buttons in 3Do should i STRANGELY desire to see my textures and my model at the same time because the button bar doesn't shrink with the window. And please tell me there is an option to retain the window positions, im getting carpel tunnel syndrome just moving the windows around the way i want them each time i open quixel. I have to move then resize dynamask every single time i go into it.

How about a little indicator light at the top of the suite or ddo window that stays lit until things are done processing? The cool sci-fi looking progress bar goes away half the time before things are done so its almost pointless and i worry that my new actions can cut off in-progress actions. btw If "fast process" mode means simply locking you out of your computer so you don't compete for access resources or interrupt Quixel, then i think you are massively underestimating the amount of computer experience your average user has, aka we know this about computers already (but its an option, no big deal). Overall though, i would think that for a program so slow as this i would do everything possible to make the usage experience as slick, fun and clear/logical as possible, because while pro artists/tech artists might jump through Quixel swiftly knowing exactly the result they are looking for, less experienced people who are still learning what (or even super picky people), who there will probably be a steady new supply of over time, will have to test things out, jump around, experiment, go back and forth, to get a handle on what does what.

I kinda don't need this too much at this point, but how about a more extensive tool tips option that you can turn off later when your more familiar with the program. I would highly encourage any software dev to download a video encoding program called Handbrake to see the power of tooltips. I knew nothing of encoding or containers or filter effects before using this software, but hovering over options had a well worded explanation of what it did enabling me to use the program's advanced options the very first time i used it. Another good example is the tooltips from the new graphite modelling tools in 3DS Max. Just something i think more programs should have.