Home Technical Talk

maya 2015 (..or prior) hotkeys to maya 2016! help please

hi there!

I recently switched to maya 2016... and surprise surprise... I cant seem to use my "user_hotkeys.mel" from maya 2015... in this new version, as they ve changed the interface and it asks for a .mkh file... 

any ideas, solutions  will be appreciated... merci

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I believe once you run 2016 for the first time it should generate a .mel file for hotkeys under \\Documents\maya\2016\prefs\hotkeys.  From there you can just overwrite your old hotkey .mel file with the one from 2015 (as well as your userRuntimeCommands.mel and userNamedCommands.mel from the prefs directory).  Make sure Maya is closed before overwriting anything, and of course, back up your files before you overwrite anything :)

Additionally, the .mkh file seems to just be a combined file containing those same three files userRunTimeCommands.mel, userNamedCommands.mel, and userHotkeys.mel so you could try to hack your own mkh file together to import...
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for answering, yeah I will try to hack away a mkh with my own hotkeys. I saw that I can duplicate the maya setup, Ill use that as a base, should be that long... !
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    I also tried to "hack" .mkh file and didn`t suceed. Had to remake hotkeys from scratch. "Great" experience from AD as always :(
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you also select the .mhk set from the hotkey dropdown? I'm still confused as to how to actually merge keys using that, and also ended up redoing everything manually anyway.