Home Adobe Substance

Substance 2 Vs Quixel

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I already own the Quixel suite but am getting frustrated with bugs and other issues and was considering purchasing Sub2 when it goes on sale. Does anyone know the primary advantage or difference on sub 2 vs quixel? Kinda looking for someone to sell me

Replies

• Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    My personal answer, based on my experience with Quixel Suite and Substance Painter, is speed. I found it tremendously slow in Suite to even add a new layer, and when I'm in a production environment I need as much speed as I can get.

Also, I love that I can make my own substances in Designer and bring those into Painter to use, as I don't like making art with other people's materials. That's just me.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea personal experience like this is what im looking for
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Nick,

this thread on the Allegorithmic Forums may help you, too: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=7858.msg38184#msg38184
    For me Quixel was only interesting to create fast Material previews, because it ships with a quite usable Material library, but this is the case with Substance Painter, too, nowadays.
    To create nice looking materials I just use Substance Designer, because it offers a lot more freedom and performance. I don't like using Photoshop anymore and Quixel does not have any standalone-software.

Best Regards
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is substance painter useless without designer
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say it's limited because you have to rely on user content from Substance Share.  Seems to me that Quixel's team is adding content to their libraries themselves on each new update, which is very cool.

You can still do tons though with only the shipped content + Substance Share content with SP alone.  Just like Quixel though, you have to mix and match aspects of materials to get to the result you're after.
    For example, you might have base material of tree bark, then break the normal and roughness with asphalt material and a bit of procedural + hand painted details and so on.. If you work like that, the possibilities are pretty much endless.
    Just give the trial a go.. it's free! :D
  • Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    I wouldn't say it's useless, but I think it's beneficial to use them in tandem. But again, this is just my opinion because I like making it all from scratch. Painter does have more materials now but it still feels like Quixel has more variety. Though the argument can be made that with Substance Share there's a lot there for Painter too.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    A lot of our native smart materials are made from scratch is Substance Painter. It's totally possible to do a lot of materials without having to rely on external ressources of Substance Designer.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    You can also use/tweak/save/reshare some smart materials from Substance Share (it's free and it's cool :-))
    https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_category_type_id=7
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great info guys, ill probably give it a go during summer sale. The share really sold it for me