Home Technical Talk

3DS Max clunky, slow and laggy?

I've got to the point where I can't find any more useful information from google. A few weeks ago I upgraded my system to an i7 6700K with 32GB of RAM with an Asus Sabertooth Mark 1 - and while doing so reinstalled Windows 10. Before this I was on Windows 10 on an i7 920 with 12GB of RAM.

Since this upgrade my 3DS Max 2014 (and I've tried 2015, same issue) is extremely clunky and slow. Every action takes a second or two to happen, where before it was near instant. While it's taking it's time, the UI looks like it's refreshing/blinking. As you can imagine this is extremely frustrating to work with, especially after spending a decent chunk on the upgrade.

I've tried reinstalling max. When I did this I went through and deleted anything remaining in %appdata% etc. Same issue afterwards though. Does anyone have any ideas of the cause, or any fix? I am not using any different plugins or anything than before, and the same setup works smoothly on my surface book.

Thanks.

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    Shinigami said:
    tick off / on improve performance progressivly. Try that.
    Nope, doesn't change anything I'm afraid. I found that some of my OS files are corrupted so I'm working on seeing if fixing that makes any difference in the mean time...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the Asus have an onboard gpu? Could be it's trying to use that instead of your card.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    It does indeed, I'm not sure how to manually set which it uses, but my nvidia gpu activity says my 960 is being used:

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    It does indeed, I'm not sure how to manually set which it uses, but my nvidia gpu activity says my 960 is being used:

Nearly every current intel processor has a gpu included. You can set it off in the bios but usally you don´t need to do this. Because it only gets activated when there is a monitor connected to the mainboard and not to the dedicated graphics card.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Yeah, I thought as much. I fixed my corrupted files and it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue :(
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Hey!

I suggest you take a look at my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra87-pNrVgA
    This video is made to fix keyboard shortcuts in 3Ds Max, but I think you can benefit from it also. Try the second method where you remove saved settings. This will on the other hand remove all custom keybindings and settings that you may have had before. This is not even a guaranteed fix.

The second thing that I would try would be to change the graphical setting. I am currently at work and I can't guide you properly.
    If I remember correctly: Under the tab Customize> there should be a tab where you can change the graphical display drivers. Either way, you should probably have the Nitrous driver DirectX 11 driver there. Change it to the legacy driver and see if that changes anything. If it doesn't lag anymore change it back to the Nitrous DirectX 11 driver and see if it works.

Please report back to me if it worked!
    Have a nice day. ^^
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Sorry for the late reply. I already tried those methods for the hotkeys. And reverting the driver did not work either. Thanks for taking the time though.