Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Slum - Artstation Challenge

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Luxap polycounter lvl 6
Hiya guys, been working on the Artstation challenge (3D environment in case you did not notice haha) on my spare time, after work and in the weekends.

I'm looking for feedback and suggestions on this scene that can help me push this one.

Things I have in mind at the moment

-Adding more variation to the mid ground building to make them feel less cop/pasted
-Adding a unique mesh at the back of the scene to draw the viewers attention without loosing the depth I have going now with the fog (hardest part I think)
-Playing around with the neon colors/intensity and placement to make them a bit less distracting but still in some way try to keep the nice light they bring to the environment itself

The screenshot below is where I am at the moment, and if you scroll down a bit you can see the progress that I have made in the last weeks.

Current state

Made a lot of progress so far so here is where I started out.

The base blockout

Then I went through a couple of iterations to get the scene more to a complete form and getting a better composition.

Iterations

If you want more progress on this you can head over to Artstation and look at my submission there:
https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-journey/challenges/3/submissions/799

Looking forward to some feedback/suggestions
Thanks!

Replies

• Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Small update on this scene, it has been a while since I posted something up here.

Had a super couple of last weeks so did not really find any time to work on this as of now, but I'm still going to do my very best to make the deadline work.

The colors are still mostly placeholder at the moment, going to have another detailing pas and going to make sure that I add some darker areas back into this first.

Any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated!
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    More recent update, only got a little less then a week left ahead of me, so gonna wrap this up soon and move onto the next piece!

Still a bit more left to do on the background and such.
    Let me know what you think! 
  • kohg
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    kohg said:
    Hiya @kohg good question, the story was about people trying to leave the slum and get to the high-tech area in the back. So everyone's journey to move ahead in life.

But the reason why my environment doesn't transfer this over is probably due to my lack of not adding people in this environment (I suck making peeps haha) and also I think the environment is missing story elements. I see that now but it is to late to add all of those things.

I have been thinking about this a lot on this and I feel that my environment misses details, small things like garbage,etc... and that was just because I wanted results to fast on this one. I did not realize that at the time but I do now.

Sorry for the rant haha :smiley: and thanks for the awesome link! 
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    Luxap said:
    kohg said:
    Hiya @kohg good question, the story was about people trying to leave the slum and get to the high-tech area in the back. So everyone's journey to move ahead in life.

But the reason why my environment doesn't transfer this over is probably due to my lack of not adding people in this environment (I suck making peeps haha) and also I think the environment is missing story elements. I see that now but it is to late to add all of those things.

I have been thinking about this a lot on this and I feel that my environment misses details, small things like garbage,etc... and that was just because I wanted results to fast on this one. I did not realize that at the time but I do now.

Thats actually a good idea, but with the current composition and set you have will be very hard to transmit it. You really don't need people at all to be honest. The journey in this case being a climb through the social ladder should reflect that in the image, have the slums be lower and at the bottom, and the background (high skyscrapers and pristine buildings) a little higher, or something of that sorts. What's the deadline again?
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    kohg said:
    Luxap said:
    kohg said:

Thats actually a good idea, but with the current composition and set you have will be very hard to transmit it. You really don't need people at all to be honest. The journey in this case being a climb through the social ladder should reflect that in the image, have the slums be lower and at the bottom, and the background (high skyscrapers and pristine buildings) a little higher, or something of that sorts. What's the deadline again?
    Hahaa yeah I though about that, but the deadline is next week, so it is do-able but it going to be a stressy week.
    But you could be right, I have asked other people about this, and even asked myself this that the current composition is fighting the story a bit... I might give it a try in a new scene.

Thanks!