Home Technical Talk

Putting Complex Shape Inside A Larger Rectangular Shape -- Is This Right?

allengingrich
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
I'm sure you can do it many ways, but is the following screenshot how I should be adding details to a plane? Do I put it in, then try hook it up to the larger shape? I want to add a little slot for the control pad of a Gameboy in this case. Thanks!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, that's a good way to start. Make a duplicate of your inset piece first in case you don't like the direction you're going.

I'd select that piece and extrude the edges out, and 'squarify' those results out to meet the new border. It's a lot of new geo to add to the main model, you can get away with not actually merging anything so long as it looks flush and the two surfaces are planar so there's no shading seam.
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    Yep, that's a good way to start. Make a duplicate of your inset piece first in case you don't like the direction you're going.

I'd select that piece and extrude the edges out, and 'squarify' those results out to meet the new border. It's a lot of new geo to add to the main model, you can get away with not actually merging anything so long as it looks flush and the two surfaces are planar so there's no shading seam.
    Thanks, Throttle. Is this right?

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Will you be making a hipoly? If so you might need to readjust some of the edges and add in some supporting edges. If you wont be smoothing the model than it will be fine.