Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk cat hand painted

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Freemouse polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys !

Here's a little cat i made to practice sculpt and hand painting in blender, it was fun to do  (except maybe the fur xD ) and a great training !
I found the concept art on internet, unfortunately i don't know the name of the person who did it so if anyone knows please let me know ! ( wew that's a lot of "know") 

sketchfab link

Cheers !

concept from ????

Replies

• artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    I think having the more muted colors of the original colors would definitely help this guy. The bright orange hood distracts from the face. 
    Besides that looks great though :]
  • billakosama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cute cat wearing a cute hat god damn this cuteness I cant stand it; good job :)
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I agree with @artofmars  - I think more muted colors would push it to the next level! Another thing I think would help would be having the ribbed texture in the hood. That would help sell it as fabric even more!
  • Freemouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @artofmars Thanks for the advice ! I'll definitely try it (when i'm done with my other project though, or i will never finish it haha)
    @Carabiner Oh i tried... This was a nightmare to do :(  that's why i ended with a plan B and made seams with stitches.  Maybe i'll try it again when i apply the muted colors

Thanks for your tips, it's always nice and helpful to have a fresh eye !
  • Cordero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    nice work! 
    I would try and paint in the ao/shadow on the face casted on by the hoodie, kinda like on the concept! that would create some nice contrast on the face aswell, and it would attract more attention to it! I would also maybe bring the values on the different materials a bit more together, and make them less contrasty. it's really relaxing to look at the concept, the values are close together, and they are separated just enough so you can tell that one is made out of metal and the other is leather. but if you look at it overall, nothing stands out too much, and I believe this is the reason it's and easy to digest picture! the texture you made is much more intense, and from far away there are many little places with contrast all over the model. so overall try and mute the value changes, and color shifts a bit, and I think it will greatly benefit your final texture!
  • Freemouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i tried to mute the colors, maybe still too bright ?

• purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    I think the colors are in a good spot! Definitely like the personality of the hand-painted saturated colors are giving the character right now. My only advice was that now you've got the colors in a good spot, really push the contrast between the dark and bright, like in the folds of the pants namely, as that will help give a lot of depth and that extra push for quality.
    Love your work!
  • Yoji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Wow Freemouse, I love this, I agree with Purplekami that it's spot on!
    As I remember the character concepts for Final Fantasy IX were drawn the same way but the colors in game are saturated and pleasing to the eye, just like your piece.
    I'm still trying to find your concept image's source, do you remember where you found it?
  • Freemouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @purplekami Thanks a lot I'll try that ! :)
    @Yoji thanks to you too, I found it on pinterest here
  • Karellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karellen polycounter lvl 2
    amazing work! this style reminds me of the 3d models from GUST games like the atelier and ar nosurge series, the concept looks very similar to the work of Akihiko Yoshida, maybe its by him. 

• Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    ..i want my palico to look like this. :3 Digging the muted colors for sure.