Home General Discussion

(MINDBLOWN) The Scope and scale of ''FInal Fantasy XV Uncovered''

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
I know there's already a thread about it (made by me) but this is another level of revealing Square Enix brought us these last hours! :open_mouth: 

In case you missed, they made a conference with 15 Majors news featurings trailers and details about the game everthing that comes around with it!

One word: Mindblowing.

We might have our next succesor to the Witcher 3 here!

So since there's alot of environment artist here, I'll start by the most interesting trailer, the ENVIRONMENT TRAILER:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZYNC4JZ_2c

What stroke me here is the gorgeous AND constant quality found in a amazingly diverse set of environments.
The scenerey at 1:40 just leaves me speechless.

Here's also another trailer featuring gameplay footage with a new ''Stand by me'' re-interpretation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzKFxzW3pU

Gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSDCy-7_7kI

A free demo will be available on online stores (ps store and xbox marketplace) featuring Noctis when he was young:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HfsU6ZqbH8

Plus a free series of anime episodes available online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytEviyISKO0

AAAAND FINALLY, an epic full feature film from Square Enix CG studio (Visual Works) relating events surrounding the game and universe of FF XV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJ1C5O2gyc

(Kinda reminds me of Advent Children).

All that for a whooping budget of 250 millions of dollar and more (said by Tabata himself)!!

If the title hasnt caught your attention with that, it probably never will. I tihnk they really want this game to have the same impact as FF7 did on it's release (it probably won't but hey, let's hope so).

2016 GOTY? I do think so.:D

My biggest deception: No PC release annoucement.

Also, I do think they revealed a tad bit too much...

Edit:

I forgot this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxKLNz36o-A

AIRSHIP AVAIALBLE EVERYONE !! AIRSHIP AVAILABLE (or aircar?)

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    not really sure about these, environments looks by today's standard ok, maybe a bit poor on content, but wouldn't know about final sizes etc. Movie trailer looks all over the place, and anime looks a bit low budget, nice way to get the story out there but looks like it will make me hate the characters even more then I do now.

Still would be nice with a good finalfantasy.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks cool, won't get hyped until it's released though. It's been a while since there's been a great Final Fantasy. 
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I kinda feel awful for saying that, but despite the impressive visuals and the overall design flair that I do enjoy ... the fact that it is running at 30fps makes it all a bit painful to watch.

That probably doesn't have a huge impact on gameplay, but wouldn't a higher framerate be so much nicer !
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Itd be nicer but it doesnt really feel like its painful to watch IMO. 
    The game does look super pretty and the combat looks fun so this might be the first FF game I actually finish.
    Although I am hoping this will be the last of their development slogfests, I thought 13  had a rough cycle but considering the 10 year cycle for 15, I really feel like they need to find a better way that doesnt involve them throwing out and rebuilding everything constantly.
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    pior said:
    I kinda feel awful for saying that, but despite the impressive visuals and the overall design flair that I do enjoy ... the fact that it is running at 30fps makes it all a bit painful to watch.

That probably doesn't have a huge impact on gameplay, but wouldn't a higher framerate be so much nicer !
    Just wait for the PC version then.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    It seems like the answer to "how many do you need to sell" was "10 Million atleast" by Tabata (according to Kotaku). WOOOW. I don't know if FF is such a strong franchise right now and if the love for 15 is that far reaching? I hope they manage, i hope the weird ad on Gamestop is right and there will be a PC Version. This might turn out to be a tough financial blow or a mind boggeling success story. Really i have no clue whats the world wide perception on this title is. I know a lot of people in asia basically asked their gods to release this game, considering it is the first to be released in Chinese, Korea and Japanese. I hear a lot, that this is going to be the system seller in Japan (well question is what system, considering the rise of PC gaming in japan lately....if the thousands of hardware stores in Osaka and Tokyo are a give away). I know FF has always been strong in europe since the manga boom and in US too. So will this be enough to push 10.000.000 Copies, almost twice of the witcher 3 (which arguebly did not do that well in asia and still doesn't carry a name like FF). On the other hand Fallout 4 sold 12 Million in under a week (i think) and I never considered that Franchise to be that popular but in between F3 and F4 people must have gotten Fallout with the drinking water. At this point i honestly think this is possible...maybe even in record time.
    I mean the Collectors Ultra Super Edition was sold out in Minutes (that's 30.000 sales already for you).
    Give me a physical PC Deluxe Edition and we are game SE.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The art and tech is nice, but it's also struggling on consoles atm (videos show it at sub-1080p, sub-30fps, and with poor foliage draw distance too).

Even if everything was running perfectly, I'm very skeptical about Squares ability to make a compelling experience these days (considering the last Final Fantasy I enjoyed enough to beat was FFX, 15 years ago).
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Dat first image of car transforming into batplane.....instant buy, screw it. :P
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Yeh,  I've just seen the news about them needing 10 milions copies to ship to make the game profitable. This is extremely tight.

This just confirms that they NEED a PC release, no kidding.

Edit: PC release confirmed. 
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    This wasn't really on my radar. Then I saw Ramuh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0OCZC8TVY

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Kinda late to post that since Ramuh was availble on the demo release months ago
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I just want to point out something that I find absolutely nuts.

The Character Artist, also does their own rigging, and they animate their own models.

:/

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9

The Character Artist, also does their own rigging, and they animate their own models.

I'm sceptical here. Where did you hear that? You got some contacts at SE that told you that?

I mean for indie developpers, I might understand but a game of this scale, I have hard time picturing this.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    pior said:

Absolutely agreed. 30fps is a mess, like playing on an overheating GPU
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10

wat
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean wouldn't that be waste of time letting someone do it who is not an expert in that? Not like the modellers at SE are not already masters in what they are supposed to be doing.

It's funny how much of a clue they took from attack on titan...the titan looks pretty similiar. Also it seems like there is some "shadow of the collossus" vertical gameplay to fight the ...let's call em Aeons, i hope the scene with Levithan from the first trailer is still in there. 
    But still i have to say, that i still don't know what the game is about really, outside of a travel...which sounds rather "simple" for a SE game.

Oh yeah ramuh...when i first saw it on a stream i couldn't believe my eyes whats happening right now.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But still i have to say, that i still don't know what the game is about really, outside of a travel...which sounds rather "simple" for a SE game.
    From what I understand, originally the game was about a society that worshiped the 'God of Death' (this can be seen in the early FF VS trailers; wraiths in the clouds, paintings of skulls, etc.), and the powers Noctis had to see the dead, as well as a betrayal by another nation that was orchestrated to steal their kingdoms Crystal, and the resulting conflicts. I think the summons/Aeons were also supposed to be the servants of the God of Death, or the kings of hell, or something like that. But they decided that was too intense for their intended audience.
    So now the story has been dumbed down to be about a prince and his friends taking a road trip (and fighting misc baddies along the way which somehow culminates in them saving their kingdom / world) after their kingdom falls to an invasion.
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Those environments looked pretty ropey to be honest... 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    From what I understand, originally the game was about a society that worshiped the 'God of Death' (this can be seen in the early FF VS trailers; wraiths in the clouds, paintings of skulls, etc.), and the powers Noctis had to see the dead, as well as a betrayal by another nation that was orchestrated to steal their kingdoms Crystal, and the resulting conflicts. I think the summons/Aeons were also supposed to be the servants of the God of Death, or the kings of hell, or something like that. But they decided that was too intense for their intended audience.
    So now the story has been dumbed down to be about a prince and his friends taking a road trip (and fighting misc baddies along the way which somehow culminates in them saving their kingdom / world) after their kingdom falls to an invasion.
    Ok sounds a lot like the way SE treated the original story of FF12, where the lead was in hiding because he was believed to have killed the king or smth. Also rather intense.
    They want to get back to the success of the old days? Don't treat your audience like children. The older FF had some rough stuff in them.

I mean i like the connection that is going on between the 4 guys, i really do...but yeah the story could be slightly more interesting...as of what we know so far. I don't see this getting to the FF usual of fighting a god in the end.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    They want to get back to the success of the old days? Don't treat your audience like children. The older FF had some rough stuff in them.
    Yeah, ff7 had some pretty cohesive environmentalism themes going on, as I recall. Too early to judge this one but the only theme I'm picking up is "bros before hos".
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taba said in an interview right after the conference they consider very hardly as soon as the game is done (or went gold i guess). Biggest clue is the faulty add on Gamestop.

HOWEVER: there was a leak months ago on reddit where a user, claiming he got info from a trustworthy source, talked about the game and that there will be
    - an anime series called brotherhood
    - a movie a caled kingsglaive
    - a platinum demo
    - a mobile game called FFXV lite
    - a pc version

Back then nothing was known about any of this and only 2 of his infos were off slightly, the smartphone game was named differently and there was no PC Version, however i personally believe that they might have staff in a approx. 300 Million dollar game to work on a PC version, that needs different kind of adjustments from the console version. But despite a port being a big undertaking, the game already runs x64 code and already seems to have DX11/12 implementatio (considering it's on XB1 and there was a lumnious DX12 demo months ago). So I think there is a chance it to be announced at a more PC orientated event.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Blond said:

I'm sceptical here. Where did you hear that? You got some contacts at SE that told you that?

I mean for indie developpers, I might understand but a game of this scale, I have hard time picturing this.
    LRoy said:

wat

Well, a while ago we received an internal email about possibly wanting to do like a 1-year  'exchange' with the Japan Studio.
    They required a portfolio/reel, and stated everything from zbrush samples, to rigs, to animations, to bakes, and texturing.

Naturally I thought It was a mistake until I spoke to a few of the people who frequently go between the studios.

Nope, no mistake, the 'Character Animator' position requires that artists to model rig and animate all of their own characters. like Oldschool Blizzard Cinematics style.

Same goes for Visualworks.

We had a Technical Director here in Montreal for a couple of years.
    Tetsuji Iwasaki was tasked to head up an internal Square Enix project (that later became Shinra), whose team needed to hire an Artist.
    He was surprised when nobody that hit his expected modelling standards had any rigging or animations in their portfolios, and had to be explained that the job was split into 2 in North America.

I'm still blown away by this myself, but yes, it's not hearsay or rumour. These guys are that crazy.

• Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow...that's quite something.
    Interesting was the famicom interview with tabata, where he explained that they basically had to kick out the common system in japan of "seniority" (so you get a higher position depending on how long you kept your old seat warm in the company) in favor of a performance and skill driven based positioning. 
    But man didn't expect things in Japan to be THAT different. I mean a modeller for a SE game should be busy enough with his day job, he shouldn't have time to even think of animating.
    But the more you know.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13

... Nope, no mistake, the 'Character Animator' position requires that artists to model rig and animate all of their own characters. like Oldschool Blizzard Cinematics style...

Im wondering if they literally mean, every character artist builds their own rigs from scratch, or if they have a default rig/auto-rigger in the studio and every character artist is responsible for skinning and weighting their own work then animating. I mean that makes more sense and is less likely to screw up the pipeline, right? Otherwise how the hell do they manage all that...
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Damn, I really wish we had more connections with Japanese game developpers or artist.

Here on PC, we got artist from all the corners of the world except Japanese (I think there's a few though).

I'd like to here more insight from their part or just see some art dumps from their part from time to time.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are actually quite many here on polycount that work for Japanese companies in Japan, Although I'm freelancing from Japan at the moment, as it is a great place to live but a terrible place to work hehe, but I have previously worked for 4 companies here.

If it's more about being japanese then working in japan then it's mostly because of the language barrier and also the biggest reason is that most japanese developers don't work with 3D outside of work, of course there are exceptions, but it's quite rare.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are actually quite many here on polycount that work for Japanese companies in Japan, Although I'm freelancing from Japan at the moment, as it is a great place to live but a terrible place to work hehe, but I have previously worked for 4 companies here.

If it's more about being japanese then working in japan then it's mostly because of the language barrier and also the biggest reason is that most japanese developers don't work with 3D outside of work, of course there are exceptions, but it's quite rare.
    You mean they don't participate in Online communities like Polycount, ZBrush Central or CGSociety outside of the job? Because looking at the Japanese part of ZBrush Central, it's really a bit of an empty and awfully designed place compared to the main forum. But yeah would love to see some private art of people from FROM, SE, SEGA and such. It feels like there is this giant pool of talent that kind of is out of one's reach.

By the side: Tabata spoke in recent interviews about the FPS issues, that will be resolved and about a PC version, that they probablly tackle as soon as the game went gold (or released). It supposed to be a heavily pimped up version aimed at high end PC Specs.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You mean they don't participate in Online communities like Polycount, ZBrush Central or CGSociety outside of the job? Because looking at the Japanese part of ZBrush Central, it's really a bit of an empty and awfully designed place compared to the main forum. But yeah would love to see some private art of people from FROM, SE, SEGA and such. It feels like there is this giant pool of talent that kind of is out of one's reach.

By the side: Tabata spoke in recent interviews about the FPS issues, that will be resolved and about a PC version, that they probablly tackle as soon as the game went gold (or released). It supposed to be a heavily pimped up version aimed at high end PC Specs.

That as well, but actually not doing any private art at all is very common, I know a lot of people that have never touched 3d outside of school and work neither do they have a computer that allows it. this is of course a very stereotype point of view, but there isn't really the same kind of pressure on skill to get a job here, and I have seen people with a couple of drawings in their portfolio get jobs in 3D, even in the bigger studios.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    So did anyone play the demo? I just finished it and I'm dumbfounded how it was approved for release to the general public. If this was meant to sell me on the game and give me some context for all those trailers I've been seeing for the past 10 years then it has done a terrible job. The combination of camera and FPS made me physically uncomfortable and I had literally no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I just ran around some linear levels, stepped on some plates, collected some gems, transformed into a truck and fought a boss at the end. 

I have not played Duscae demo, so this was my first introduction to the way this game plays. I loved old Final Fantasy games so I was cautiously curious about this one. Now I feel more confused than ever. Unless the reviews for the final game are really good I don't think this will be the game that gets me back into the series.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Regarding Japanese game art posted online : a few years back there was a rather vibrant community of artists revolving around the use of the Metasequoia 3d viewer to create character turntables in self-illuminated style, as close as possible to a 2d anime look. I'd go as far as saying that this kind of expertise is what allowed a game like GGear Xrd to happen.

These look quite recent judging by the rather high texture resolution, so I suppose that there are still some people out there creating that sort of stuff and posting it online.

There are also a lot of people putting in the effort to extract 3d content from commercial games to study it : 

The way these models are crafted definitely hints at production practices involving a high level of 2d skills first and foremost. From there I could indeed imagine that excellent 2d animators could make the jump from 2d animation, to self-illuminated models ... and then years later transition to more realistically shaded character creation. Who knows !
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In regards to the demo: not played it but seen it and seen a lot people fight the iron giant. But the general attitude seems to be: FPS is horrendous and image quality is really bad at times. Also they seem to have dialed down texture res and mesh quality quite a bit (maybe for download size reasons?). The FPS issue is promised to be resolved. The fighting was named bad and boring by a lot of at first, but there is a shield and shuriken weapon. Using those a lot of people were suddenly loving the fighting... So yeah, seems like they didn't do themself a huge favor with this demo (rather than updating Duscae with the current gameplay and releasing it for the public).

@pior
    those look really cool. Didn't know about that.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    So did anyone play the demo? I just finished it and I'm dumbfounded how it was approved for release to the general public. If this was meant to sell me on the game and give me some context for all those trailers I've been seeing for the past 10 years then it has done a terrible job. The combination of camera and FPS made me physically uncomfortable and I had literally no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I just ran around some linear levels, stepped on some plates, collected some gems, transformed into a truck and fought a boss at the end. 

Yea I really did not enjoy my time with the demo. The FPS drops were pretty bad and I did not feel comfortable at all with the game mechanics going into the final "boss". All of a sudden I have new spells and weapons and a teleport thing that was never introduced before that fight. Previous to that it was just running around hacking away at some little monsters pretty much just holding the O button with a few square dodges here and there. Needles to say I "died" quite a few times before beating it. 

And yea, the trailers have been pretty in-depth with the characters and plot; however, they just went with a dream for this? I watched a co-worker play through the previous demo at my last job and it looked way more exciting than what we were given.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some comparisons between the games cg videos and their realtime counterparts:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200059412&postcount=452
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They did a good job with this water city...just the LOD are very visible even with the buildings on the left, rather close to the camera.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
     Yeah that demo seems more like a test environment you get to play than the "Demo". 

But there is a decent amount there to play around with, i guess they expected you to play around rather than experience the game.

I think the most enjoyable thing for me was fighting that boss at night in the rain. On the ps4 i played the frame rate was stable. But according to an interview they said this demo was not to demonstrate frame rate, so who knows. 

Here's someone expertly battling the boss with some extra weapons you can find in the area. Shows there's a lot of potential there if you know what you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-ANQvMkXg

@pior I think that first set of models is from the atelier games which i've always admired for their character models. It's possible some of those images came from models ripped from the game?

I see a few japanese artists on sites like sketchfab and i've also been seeing zbrush use become more popular when artists are making figures. But i don't know how much of any of that is independant work. 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    by the way:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mcnZCy22Y

Not the biggest GI Fan, but that trailer looks interesting (especially the new footage).

by the by the way:
    A lot of people are concerned if the game will be accpted in the west for it's Japanese J-Pop look...well if the west isn't they have a problem because japan def. not. Preorders are the worst in FF history (while it is still at Nr. 1 on Amazon germany and US).
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Given the relatively low sales of PS4 in Japan, I'm seriously wondering how they intend to make that 10 million copies sold breakpoint. I really do feel this game would have benefitted from  some changes to character designs. I watch anime and play lots of Japanese games and even for me this type of aesthetic is rather unappealing.

I  have the impression that Square made some significant changes under Tabata, but I still feel Nomura's aesthetic sense will limit the appeal of this game.

I guess it was probably too late to change that and it would risk alienating Japanese fanbase. But overall it seems Square is aware they need the western mainstream audiences more thanever hence the event being in English and the more approachable character design in the upcoming movie.

At this point I'm really curious how the next numbered FF game will look.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    The worst part about all this (at least for me) is no PC release.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Dataday said:
    The worst part about all this (at least for me) is no PC release.
    They still haven't said no and practically said yes, but it certainly won't launch on PC. 
    I really do feel this game would have benefitted from  some changes to character designs. I watch anime and play lots of Japanese games and even for me this type of aesthetic is rather unappealing.

I  have the impression that Square made some significant changes under Tabata, but I still feel Nomura's aesthetic sense will limit the appeal of this game.
    I still feel like the designs were made to appeal to ladies more than anything :P
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Let's all stay optimist for this one. I have a great feeling about this title.

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm not sure how good their english skills are. But maybe I could hit them up with questions on the internal messengers.

Thing is, most of what I've seen is just painstaking brute force methods to everything.

We had the pleasure of working directly with SE VisualWorks on our pre-rendered DX trailers, and their work just seemed flawless.

No clipping, no strange topology, no wierd artifacts that were hidden.

Just flawless models with flawless displacement bakes and textures.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Lol, asians maintaining asians' reputation at the top.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Well  koreans tend to culturally hate the japanese.  

;p

But I'm really a canadian through and through.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Arka : I like the designs too. I was sold when I noticed the red soles under the shoes of the main character - a nice contemporary touch which tells a lot about what they are trying to achieve here. 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo the new Game Informer Interview with Tabata. Kudos, really good interview and kudos to Tabata for being very honest, very humble, critial and realistic about the situation. I can't imagine the pressure on this game and the team. Iam glad someone like him is in control of this project. He seems to know how to take something to the end (Nomura is a great person in the Square roaster but still it must have been a total mess with him). Also the tidbits of new stuff look fantastic. 

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9

Yo'd be appalled," says Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy 15. "Just as a reference, I sleep maybe three hours each day. It's difficult every day ...

"There is a sense that this is shortening my lifespan. But it's all worth it."

When it came to setting the tone for Final Fantasy games on PS4 and Xbox One, Tabata says Square Enix didn't set out with a clear idea of what that future should look like. After all, the Final Fantasy franchise has spanned generations of consoles and explored dozens of different themes and settings.

"I knew whatever lifespan I'd already shortened with Type-0 would be even further shortened with 15," Tabata says. "But after a minute or two of thinking it over, I thought, 'That shouldn't be much of a problem.'"

It's not just sleep Tabata is sacrificing, either. As a husband, and as a father to a daughter in kindergarten, he says the time he spends at home never feels like enough. He cranks into the early hours of the morning during the week in order to spend his weekends playing with his daughter or eating with his wife. His own alone time is nearly non-existent, pushed back into the hours he spends in the car on the way to work.

"In the car, I listen to music," Tabata says. "That's all I really do. In essence, that's the only place where I listen to music now."

Yet by taking on these projects — and by tackling Final Fantasy 15 specifically — Tabata feels that the reward will outweigh the work.

"I can finally kind of be on the same battlefield as some of the globally popular AAA titles, the major hits," Tabata says. "That's been one of the best feelings that's come from working on this."

There's something special about watching Final Fantasy fans get excited, too, he says. Tabata says it's worth all the struggle when a game is finally released and feedback comes pouring in. Criticism is only a temporary setback, and it inspires him want to work harder. But the real joy is finding the players who enjoy the team's work.

"Once we receive news of fans enjoying this game, it all kind of is worth it," Tabata says. "You forget about all the struggles that you faced during the development ... I think that's what keeps me going."

"I think it was at that point that I started to feel like it's OK — it's really not a big deal if I'm shortening my lifespan to bring enjoyment to others. That's when my mindset started to change."

This mentality is typical of Japanese game developers, Tabata says. For Final Fantasy in particular, Tabata sees it as a franchise that brings happiness. He's quick to offer lighthearted, if not cutting commentary about his work ("I wouldn't really recommend developing games at Square Enix much. We don't sleep."), but there's a sharp sense of pride there, too.

"It's really the drive to create the best experience. Something that surpasses everything ... That's just what Final Fantasy development is like.

Ok, give that man a cake!

And a bed!

http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Tabata-Final-Fantasy-15
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    played the demo and wasnt very impressed. demo is not a good word for it. more like tech demo. really weird environment with unclear goals. gameplay wise, the combat and steering isnt very good. combat annoys me the most, this whole jumping between enemies without any control or direction, whilst you just button mashes got to stop. too common with console games, witcher 3 is one example. attacking enemies outside of the camera just gets ridiculous. i shouldnt get suprised by the attacks my own character makes.
    the combat worked much better fighting the bigger boss. then it wasnt a problem with all that jumping around, and i got punished for button mashing and had to do smarter things like evading.

• xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty much the same experience for me with the demo. I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy anyway though. I like the SNES games and 9, but I don't care for most of the rest. Even though the games don't usually hold my attention, I do think they always look really impressive.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    black shirts, black pants, black shoes driving a black car... ugh what uninspired character design.  Have they been hanging around at too many game dev conventions?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the black "JRPG yakuza" style look.
    However, another interview with Tabata:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipTGqVSXwRg&t=1m12s
    Biggest Takeaway? The team played A LOT of western RPG and is especially loving The Witcher 3. Interesting, i never really heard other directors from japan talking western games as inspiration.