Home General Discussion

GDC 2016 Vault Talks?

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
beefaroni sublime tool
Anyone know when the talks will be posted online? Looking forward to watching them.

Replies

• kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    They usually take around  3 weeks or so.  
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ah alright. Hopefully around mid-april
  • LiamWong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamWong polycounter lvl 2
    All the GDC talks are up as of this week :smile:
    Anyone have any recommendations for talks?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm.

An Architects Guide to Creating Expressive Game Environments
    Pretty interesting overall. A few parts felt a bit dry to me but the examples she went through (Bioshock, Dark Souls, etc) were pretty spot on.

Both of the Lawbreakers talks (Surrounded by 800lb Gorillas+ 360 art direction) were great. The former is avaliable for free with a login
    http://www.gdcvault.com/search.php#&category=free&firstfocus=&keyword=lawbreakers&conference_id=

Restructuring a Warship at Full Steam covered the restructuring process at Wargaming. It has some interesting data about the amount of people required to do a task (implementing chat in his example) before and after.

Would love to hear some other recommendations as well for when I'm at work!
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    merwynl polycounter lvl 8

Fallout 4's' Modular Level Design
    Excellent tips and primer on building modular kits and environments. This one's available for free. 

Technical Artist Bootcamp: Shaders 101: Foundational Shader Concepts for Tech Artists
    Great introductory concepts for those looking to get into some shader work. It's mostly done in UE4's material editor but he does go over the hlsl code of the example shaders he built as well.

An End-to-End Approach to Physically Based Rendering
    Great primer and hands-on-approach to understanding pbr. As someone who's still trying to grasp some of the fundamental concepts, this really helped to solidify some of the core principals. Also a great companion piece I think to the pbr guides that already exist on Allegorithmic's site