Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Can't add keys because of foot steps??

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
So I loaded up a bip file onto my biped, tweaked the animation and now I want to add to it but apparently I can't add any key frames to the feet past the end of the bip sequence because it used foot steps? I've been googling like crazy but can't find an answer on how to fix this. If I delete the foot steps it removes the entire animation and if I disable foot steps, I can't add keys anywhere. Supposedly you can change the timing of the foot steps through the Dope Sheet editor but I can't see how. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Essentially I just want to extend the end frame for the footsteps from 172 up to 370 so I can add more animation to the scene. 

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Command Panel > Motion Tab > Biped rollout > Convert (it looks like two arrows circling each other, next to the save icon).
    This will turn your footstep animation into "freeform" keys. In some cases, you can convert them back into footsteps but only if you haven't added or removed the keys it originally made.

Once you convert to freeform the "can't add keys past the end of footsteps" restriction should be lifted, but I've run into a few cases where it has stuck around and caused problems. Exporting and reimporting the animation normally resets that restriction.

To edit footsteps, turn on footstep mode (same menu as above). Then go, Main Menu > Graph Editors > Trackview > DopeSheet and in the list find the biped footsteps node and expand it, you'll see some blue and green bars. You can edit those bars to adjust the footsteps. The blue and green bars only show up when you're in footstep 
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Mark, you're my hero! Somehow I knew you'd be the one to answer my question! You're a Max God!