Home Technical Talk

Something like Blender F2 addon for 3ds max?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
I was wondering if anyone knows a script or plugin for 3ds max that works like the Blender F2 addon? https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Modeling/F2

Detailed explanation

Quad from vertex

When a single vertex is selected, a new quad is created by creating a new vertex. The position of this new vertex is calculated based on the three existing vertices. These are the selected vertex, and two vertices to which it is connected via open edges. An open edge is an edge which is only part of one face, or none at all. The newly created quad has the same material and normal direction as the neighbouring faces.

Quad from edge

Similar to the quad from vertex functionality, this is based on open edges. The selected edge has to be connected to two open edges. The vertices which belong to these edges are used to create a new quad.

Direction control

If there are multiple ways to create a new quad, the position of the mouse cursor is taken into account. Of the multiple new faces which are possible, the one which will be closest to the mouse cursor (in 2d screen-space) is the one which will be created.

I only know about the RappaTools bridge functionality and Rapid Tools Quick QCap but those are much more restricted/specific in their usage.

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Don't know of any existing tools that do those things, but they wouldn't take that long to make.

Edit: Check lower post for script.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your effort Polyhertz! Your script doesn't quite do yet what i have in mind but much appreciated.
    I guess what i'm looking for going by the Blender modelling videos is a mix between regular shift+drag edge extruding and freeform strips. Something that takes into account the direction i'm moving towards with the mouse like the strips method but at the same time obeys to the angle and size of the quad that i'm extruding from. What's annoying about regular shift+drag extruding is that when i model a more organic shape i constantly have to adjust and rotate the newly created edge around corners. Strips doesn't work for that either because the new geometry is always completely flat unless "painted" onto an already existing mesh for retopo.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Have you tried StepBuild and Extend in the graphite toolset under the freeform tab?
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes i know of them. Use them for retopo. None of them work as simple, straightforward and painless as this Blender F2 addon seems to work tho.
    This guy uses the F2 like retopo tools kinda, except it seems to work flawless in mid air which could be a huge time safer for semi organic polygon modeling.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOcV6kideQ

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that video in the other thread and I want that in maya's Quad Draw tool, it's really slick. We can Tab+LMB to draw out strips with directionality, but it doesn't have the elegance, precision and little need for cleanup that the F2 script has.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that video in the other thread and I want that in maya's Quad Draw tool, it's really slick. We can Tab+LMB to draw out strips with directionality, but it doesn't have the elegance, precision and little need for cleanup that the F2 script has.
    Yea exactly. Currently, for me the best way to model something like in the video above is to start with lines, model it flat then add depth to it eventualy, which has the disadvantage that i have to guess the best geometry and flow of it long in advance before actualy modeling it out instead of just straight modeling the shape as i see it on the ref.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Not exactly what you want but, check out Alles Im Fluss, it's not updated anymore, it's 10 euro's and there a free trial/evaluation http://allesimfluss.biz/
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to looking at "Quad From Vertex", combined it with a slightly updated version of "Quad From Edge" (selects the newest edge so you can do what this guy does at 1:30 ) in a macro so a hotkey can be assigned to it.

I know it's not exactly what you're after (you can't extrude edges without faces like in Blender, so I'm not sure how I'd implement the cursor-based functionality in Max ), but hopefully it helps :)

Edit: Script removed while I make a more fully featured version. pm me if interested.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyhertz, the quad from edge script works well. I just found out that RappaTools has this functionality in the bridge tools tho. Makes me feel bad telling you since you put the effort in to write the script.

The Quad from vertex script unfortunately gives me an error. Have tested it in max 14 and 15.
    http://i.imgur.com/QnAUGJl.jpg

This one certainly would be the bigger time safer of the two and i haven't found anything like that for 3ds max yet.
    I got to play around with Blender the last two days and what i definitely miss most in 3dsmax from what i've seen is the ability to extrude edges and pointing the new edge in a direction without having to tweak rotation afterwards. This isn't part of the Blender F2 addon but out of the box Blender tool. These things work really well in conjunction tho for this ornamental modelling as seen in the video above.

If you would script a proper plugin for all this functionality i'm sure ther's a market for it. I would be willing to pay for something like that for sure.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't even realize RappaTools was still around. Well that's ok, at least this is free.
    Quad From Vertex should work fine now, sorry about that. Just fyi, It works slow on Edit Poly modifiers atm (about a 1/3 second delay on my PC).

About writing a plugin for edge extrusions like in Blender; It would take quite a while to do since it would need to use a bunch of tricks to make sure it was compatible with Maxs existing toolset. You might want to check and see if Maiuu would be interested, seems right up his alley.
  • shogunato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shogunato polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic script !
    Thanks a lot !
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necro bump!
    If anyone still wants this script, I just uploaded a fixed up version that works for Max 2021 here: https://gumroad.com/l/xxwms