Home Technical Talk

Zbrush doesn't start

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
Hey when i try to open zbrush it makes a loud windows sound then my mouse changes to a blue ring and keeps loading i already tried to re install it that didn't solve the problem

Replies

• Hamakua
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamakua polycounter lvl 4
    I have the very same issue and have put in a ticket to Pixologic as well as made a small forum post in their troubleshooting section.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the issue as until now I haven't seen any word on it.

Windows 10 Pro,  32gb ram, 5930k, 980ti.

the feel I get is that either an Nvidia driver or Windows update broke something - but I haven't been able to find a fix.  I tried rolling back the Nvidia drivers to one that I knew worked and have uninstalled - cleaned registry and user prefs, reinstalled Zbrush multiple times,  same drive, different drive, different install file source.

none worked.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Hamakua said:
    I have the very same issue and have put in a ticket to Pixologic as well as made a small forum post in their troubleshooting section.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the issue as until now I haven't seen any word on it.

Windows 10 Pro,  32gb ram, 5930k, 980ti.

the feel I get is that either an Nvidia driver or Windows update broke something - but I haven't been able to find a fix.  I tried rolling back the Nvidia drivers to one that I knew worked and have uninstalled - cleaned registry and user prefs, reinstalled Zbrush multiple times,  same drive, different drive, different install file source.

none worked.
    Hey i found my fix i changed the the path where all the cage files where being saved and deleted that map as soon as i changed that path to  an existing map it worked 
  • Hamakua
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamakua polycounter lvl 4
    TY, it worked - I deleted the ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt and let her reset it.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Hamakua said:
    TY, it worked - I deleted the ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt and let her reset it.
    no problem happy that it worked
  • nacn
    Hello, I'm sorry to revive this topic. I tried deleting entire ZBrushData folder and it indeed restarts itself when I try to open Zbrush however the program still hangs up in eternal blue ring of loading. It used to work perfectly fine, even today, before it randomly stopped, without me restarting pc or running any updates on it. Is there any other way to fix it or should I do more than just deleting ZbrushData folder?

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    nacn said:
    Hello, I'm sorry to revive this topic. I tried deleting entire ZBrushData folder and it indeed restarts itself when I try to open Zbrush however the program still hangs up in eternal blue ring of loading. It used to work perfectly fine, even today, before it randomly stopped, without me restarting pc or running any updates on it. Is there any other way to fix it or should I do more than just deleting ZbrushData folder?

Try changing the path in ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt to a different location that solved all my problems.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    This is good to know. Never happened to me but I can imagine few things worse than not being able to use Zbrush....:)
  • CptCornflakes
    hey guys, I have the same problem starting ZBrush but don't have any file called "ZBrushScratchDiskPath" in my ZBrush folder..
    what could I do?
  • hvg5696
    Offline / Send Message
    hvg5696 null
    Hey guys, Im having the completely same issue too and I have my assignment due next week! would anyone please be able to help me ???
    I also don't have the file called "ZBrushScratchDiskPath" in my ZBrush folder :'(
  • Michael_Ingrassia
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
    Its definitely a low memory issue. I had a similar problem and realized my 1t hard drive had 30 gb left and zb wouldnt launch. It likes at least 60gb min to be avail.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Its definitely a low memory issue. I had a similar problem and realized my 1t hard drive had 30 gb left and zb wouldnt launch. It likes at least 60gb min to be avail.
    Don't think this is necessarily the case. My own drive has often been down to under 15g and ZB starts no bother.

As for low memory, ZB has been built from the ground up with low memory in mind(one of the trade-offs being a 2.5d canvas rather than an OpenGL viewport) and has only gone 64bit since R7.

Is everyone who's experiencing this on win10?
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Don't think this is necessarily the case. My own drive has often been down to under 15g and ZB starts no bother.

As for low memory, ZB has been built from the ground up with low memory in mind(one of the trade-offs being a 2.5d canvas rather than an OpenGL viewport) and has only gone 64bit since R7.

Is everyone who's experiencing this on win10?
    My drive is under 15 a lot of the times both ssd and hdd never had the problem on windows 10.
  • McGavish
    Offline / Send Message
    McGavish polycounter lvl 4
    Hello, I'm sorry to revive this topic, but I ran this problem and found working solution. For me the problem was caused by these two files, deleting them solved problem:

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    McGavish said:
    Hello, I'm sorry to revive this topic, but I ran this problem and found working solution. For me the problem was caused by these two files, deleting them solved problem:

Always good to know thx for sharing.
  • caam95
    Offline / Send Message
    caam95 null
    This weekend i started to have the same problems, nothing here works, but when i uninstall my wacom drivers zbrush lauches and closes as normal. Also Zbrush launches when i restart my computer and open it as soon as i can, after i closes it refuses to lauch. :neutral:

• PolyTony
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyTony null
    I found a fix to this problem : 

Merge your subtool that has this problem with any other subtool. From what I can see this seems to be doing some sort of "Delete History" like in Maya.

Then obviously we need to separate the subtools again, so you can re-import only the one you want to.
    Go to Polygroups>Auto Groups
    Then Subtool>Split>Group Split

Try to reimport your subtool now, it worked fine fore me after doing these steps.
  • SDimitrius
    Offline / Send Message
    SDimitrius polycounter lvl 14
    Just refreshing this thread and adding the solution that I found. Which was a little different than other people's here.

I found that running the program as admin allowed me to open up no problem, and without causing the infinite blue loading circle. 
    But, I hated that I would have to make those extra few clicks every time I wanted to open Zbrush. 

Ultimately, I found that changing the permissions for the entire folder that my Zbrush was installed to (D:\Program Files\ZBrush 4R7) allowed me to open the program just like I used to without issue.

So,
    >right click install folder which for me is: D:\Program Files\ZBrush 4R7 
    >properties
    >click "security" tab
    >click "edit"
    >under "group or user names" make sure that "everyone" has full permissions to the folder.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Guess anyone attempting to install zbrush anywhere other than C: volume label will run into this issue, yea i remember getting this when i also did this, plugin installation also gets ruined like no GOz option because they compile the exe's with no other path option.  Who knows why, i don't but i dislike it.  Just a heads up anyone attempting to reinstall under a different drive letter.
    Edit, if you managed to install plugins like GoZ share how you managed that cause it never works for me.(then again i also edit the registry.)