Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skateboard, medium poly Marmoset render.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Dusted off this model I did quite some time ago. Added more geometry to it, created new textures and materials, and rendered in Toolbag. I'm happy with the result, always wanted to do an exploded model.

Replies

• QuadroMan1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QuadroMan1 polycounter lvl 4
    Looks awesome!  Would be cool to see a grunged up version of it as well but that's a whole other project in itself ;)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QUADROMAN1, thanks appreciate it. Yeah a dirty version would take some extra time for sure.
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing job man!! I think the metal looks a bit too shinny, even for a brand new skate, specially in the 5th picture.
    Those hard surfaces are great! Really impresive!!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4UJ, thanks! Yeah I went back and forth on the some of the metals and ended up leaving it a bit smoother in the end for a higher contrast product render look.
    Here is one of the refs I was working from. The trucks that I modeled are also an older style so they don't look the same shape wise compared to the photo ref and don't have the logo on the front.

• n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    haha, don't get me wrong, it still looks really good! It is just that in real world we dont have perfect materials, and it looked a bit too perfect, but I guess that brand new trucks may look like that! By the way what texture res are you using? the stikers look very very sharp!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Always love see new stuff you post Malcolm. Be sweet if you animated the exploding model. Maybe like a turn table video that explodes and goes back together as it rotates.

Also +1 to a scuffed up, dirty variant too. Be cool to see duct tape on the board, scratches all over, chips, etc.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    Great work. I feel like I've seen this before? I believe we may have a mutual friend in Clinton and I saw it on his Facebook?

Another +1 on a weathered version. The bottom paint would be a lot of fun to scuff up.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avenali312, yeah Clint and I work together at The Coalition, he sits right behind me.

Thanks Jeff!

N4UJ, I might try upping the contrast on my smoothness map to get some more breakup, I have to go back in just realized those bolts look really unrealistic.
    3 textures, board, wheel, and truck.
    wheel 1024x1024
    board 8192x4096
    truck  4096x4096

• martygalinskas3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martygalinskas3d polycounter lvl 4
    where's the washers for the bearings! those wheels will never spin! jk lol, looks great, but a grunged up version would be cool. Especially the grip tape, even if it's brand new it's put on by a human and is never cut absolutely perfectly so there are sometimes some jagged edges or left over parts sticking to the side edge of the board.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, did some fixes, and then Marmoset crashed while taking a screenshot locked up my computer and it deleted all the layers in my .psd for the trucks and corrupted the file with red and black stripes. Lost two nights of work aaaaarg, so lame!

Anyways, just finished redoing all that work, I'm happier with it now.  Going to call this complete and move on to my next project.
    -Roughness scratches added to all surfaces.
    -Machining marks added to trucks in normal map and additional scuffs and imperfections.
    -Normal map added to board graphic to simulate paint bumpiness.
    -New nuts that actually look like nuts.
    -Washers are gold now so you can see them.
    -Added text to top of trucks and machine marks.
    -Scaled bumpy normal map on trucks to be the correct size, fixes the scale quite a bit.