Home Dota 2

2016 Spring Cleaning: SMD discontinued

Edit: The problem is solved for me, however removed the "(solved)" from the title to encourage more experienced members to help out those who still have issues with the dmx format. 

Hello,

While reading the patch notes for the most recent update: "Spring Cleaning 2016", I came across these;

"-Item Workshop Tool: SMD file support has been discontinued for workshop models and animations — existing SMD submissions can be processed, but new submissions must use either FBX or DMX file formats

-Item Workshop Tool: New and updated workshop hero reference files are now FBX binary for compatibility with Blender "

As a Blender user that had been exporting files as "smd" I am quite worried about this change of workflow. I rushed to an old submission and attempted to export it as a "dmx" file instead in order to test it, however upon attempting to submit it, I received an error saying "nonexistent file: (file directory) ".

Does anybody know how to export files from Blender so that they are compatible with the new workshop tools? I have not been working on a submission since Source 2 became obligatory, so it is entirely possible that I need to find an updated guide on Blender and DotA 2 workshop, however so far I have not been able to find such a guide. 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Replies

• MickeyMania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Updating both Blender and the Source Tools, as well as exporting as DMX solved the issue.
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I have latest blender 2.77 and 2.6.2 source tool, but I am still getting the nonexistent file error. Is there any proper setup for exporting DMX?
  • MickeyMania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Here are the settings I used;

On the "Source Engine Export" panel, I set the "DMX Version" to "Binary 9" and "Model 22". Hope this helps. 
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks! now it works, but now the model has some issue, example i re-export a done model(boots) which was worn properly by the hero, is now out of place and not animated properly, or I can say its not really affected by the Weights anymore.

Well, maybe is it the issue when I am exporting it has a Warning says that certain number of vertices have over weight links. Source does not support this. ? If so, how do I solve it then, because all the time I transfer weights from the existing model and tweak abit and it works fine for SMD until this DMX changes.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
  • MickeyMania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    archie said:
    Cool thanks! now it works, but now the model has some issue, example i re-export a done model(boots) which was worn properly by the hero, is now out of place and not animated properly, or I can say its not really affected by the Weights anymore.

Well, maybe is it the issue when I am exporting it has a Warning says that certain number of vertices have over weight links. Source does not support this. ? If so, how do I solve it then, because all the time I transfer weights from the existing model and tweak abit and it works fine for SMD until this DMX changes.
     I'm afraid I am not familiar with this problem. All I can think of is to re-attach the model to the bones of the hero, also to make sure the models' x,y and z coordinates are "0". If the hero model was updated in the latest patch, you might want to download the new hero files and attach the model there, though looking at the list I can't see a hero that would have customizable boots (except maybe Juggernaut). Sorry :(
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the problem in which in Source, vertices in SMD meshes can have as many weight-links to different bones as it wants, but in Source 2, vertices in DMX meshes can only have the most 4 weight-links. I did not adjust the Limit Total and the Weight Link threshold therefore theres the Warning error and cause my models not working properly.