Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Arrow Death Animation

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BradleyMAdams polycounter lvl 3

Arrow Death Animation from Bradley Adams on Vimeo.

Updated

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/168697466" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">Arrow Death Animation Final</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user10917796">Bradley Adams</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

https://vimeo.com/168697466

Animation - By me
Rig - Body Mechanics Rigs by Joe Daniels artofjoe.blogspot.com

Replies

• BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    embedded the video, Please do reply with any criticisms or comment.....I never seem to get any replies on my threads on this site :neutral: 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This is a pretty good start, Brad. A few crits for ya. Would be easier if you had a syncsketch link.

-The arrow should move quicker. Seems like a slow shot. 
    -The guy reacts with just 1 hand, likes he's trying to grab it with one hand. When you're surprised by something, or are trying to block something, you better believe both hands will come up.
    - when he's getting knocked back, on that final step, he feels off balance for a wee bit. 
    -Having that front foot stay planted like that, I think you could really add to your piece if you added a few more steps in. not just moving backward, but also if you added one or 2 struggle steps forward, instead of getting knocked back, pausing for a long time, then dropping. Add to that struggle of dying
    -you need more hip motion. When your left foot steps all the way back, the hips stay parallel. the left hip would go back with the leg. The hips are also tilting too far back, causing a weird shape in your body. You can get a nice C shape out of your hips and spine if you tilt the hips forward. Again, easier to explain if I could draw over on syncsketch

Hope this helps.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Solid start. A few notes.

At the start, I like how you're breaking up the chest so it drags before the head. Apply the same principle to the hands so they're more natural and have some ambient motion in them. Break it up so his right hand doesn't move at the same rate as everything else.

He anticipates the arrow grab too much before the arrow has actually penetrated him. Takes energy away from the actual hit.

The fall is too slow. Speed it up. Also, break up the fall so everything doesn't hit at the same time. Think of the hips, chest and head as separate masses. Have one hit and as that rebounds, the other mass hits and so on.

I like how the arms and feet drop at the end but it feels like its all in one axis, make sure all your body parts are moving in all 3 axes so it feels more natural.

Keep it up, its looking good.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both of you, I'll get on with adding those suggestions
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Bradelymadams, just a quick simple question. I really want to get into Animation and I just wonder how long it took for you to create this cool piece?
  • BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick said:
    Hey Bradelymadams, just a quick simple question. I really want to get into Animation and I just wonder how long it took for you to create this cool piece?
    Sorry for the late reply, I only noticed I'd got a reply.

I did this more or less through an afternoon to evening. I wasn't really tracking my time, I should start doing that now. But if I had to guess I'd say around 5-6 hours.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back to this animation and improved it by making some adjustments and adding things in.

Video is in the original post.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    just saw this on front page imgur! nicely done!
  • BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito said:
    just saw this on front page imgur! nicely done!
    Thats amazing aha, thank you very much.