Home General Discussion

Nintendo's NX leak gamepad prototypes

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199996

Looks fishy, honestly...Seriously, I don't know what to expect from them anymore...

The WII U, as of today, was a terrible disaster and this doesn't look promising. I hope they ditch this concept seriously. This is worst than Sony's PS3 boomerang controller...

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was looking at this yesterday, and it looks like an attempt at a new handheld system. If it's meant to be a new controller, then I hope it's just meant to test a concept, and the actual controller will be much larger. That looks like your hands would be cramping, after a bit of gaming
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea that looks very prototype'ish. Most of the 'screen' looks like it'll be obstructed by the players hands, and the lack of buttons is concerning.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    We can't use the xbox controller forever. You gotta give credit to Nintendo, at least they aren't afraid to try something new. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I think they know the stakes are high with this one. Looking forward to E3.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Kinda a shame they've abandoning the Wii U so quickly.

It's my personal favourite console this generation, also has the most critically acclaimed games.

Still highly anticipating Zelda.

Interested to see what's in store with this new console.

• Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Because that looks exactly like the patent I am pretty sure it is fake.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow said:
    Because that looks exactly like the patent I am pretty sure it is fake.
    I would normally agree, because yes, it's much like the patent that went around a few months ago, but there are a lot of images/angles (with cables moved). Seems like a lot of work for a hoax. I'm just hoping it's a smaller part of a larger device (and that just pops out). I'm still not a fan of possibly 'rendered' buttons too, with no feedback

• FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    notman said:
     If it's meant to be a new controller, then I hope it's just meant to test a concept, and the actual controller will be much larger.
    I heard that the NX is meant to be a console/ handheld hybrid?  Or maybe a name for the "family" of devices...maybe this controller IS the handheld as well?  

They've talked about pulling together the disparate architecture/ games/ users before and the NX seems like a shot to try and get on board with the crossbuy/ "buy once, play anywhere" approach that's being popularised by a lot of companies at the minute.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Pretty sure it's fake, it looks nothing like a nintendo console. It looks like something a parent would NEVER let a kid touch.

I love the wii u, one of my most favorite console too :< Gamepad is so nice =3=
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP said:
    notman said:
     If it's meant to be a new controller, then I hope it's just meant to test a concept, and the actual controller will be much larger.
    I heard that the NX is meant to be a console/ handheld hybrid?  Or maybe a name for the "family" of devices...maybe this controller IS the handheld as well?  

They've talked about pulling together the disparate architecture/ games/ users before and the NX seems like a shot to try and get on board with the crossbuy/ "buy once, play anywhere" approach that's being popularised by a lot of companies at the minute.
    Agreed, that's where I think they are going too... again, which is why I think this may be part of a larger object.

Overall, it looks too small to actually be functional. That's why it would not shock me if this was faked, I'm just amazed at the level of effort put into faking it, if it is
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Latest news is: It's fake, the faker showed how they faked it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    notman said:
    I was looking at this yesterday, and it looks like an attempt at a new handheld system. If it's meant to be a new controller, then I hope it's just meant to test a concept, and the actual controller will be much larger. That looks like your hands would be cramping, after a bit of gaming
    this is totally an issue of target groups, while i think the xbox controller is pretty much perfect in size, my girlfriend and also many kids think it is way too big and clunky, buttons are harder to reach when compared to the os4 co troller for instance.

nintendo always targeted at kids, not male adults. Ideally there would be a few sizes of a controller but i guess thats pretty unrealistic.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP said:
    Latest news is: It's fake, the faker showed how they faked it.
    Haha, so as I thought, he went through a lot of effort to fake it. I guess, with how easy it is to access great prototyping equipment, it's much easier to fake this things these days... time to step up my skepticism 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B65J86D_8

• Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Well that was pretty obvious.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Props to the second "leaker". He actually went through the trouble of making a physical thing. 

That said, I'm curious what the bigwigs at Nintendo think about this. I've seen this leak reported on many mainstream non-gaming sites and seen dozens of comments from people claiming they won't buy it based on those pictures. Seeing that leaks are becoming more and more prevalent (legit or not) I'm wandering what impact they have on sales. I still see people who say they wouldn't buy an Xbox because it's always online (even though that's not the case anymore)  so the first impression is extremely important. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I still see people who say they wouldn't buy an Xbox because it's always online (even though that's not the case anymore)  so the first impression is extremely important. 
    Even though that isn't true anymore, users do have to go online the first time the system is run (unless they've changed this since launch?), and I think some games require a net connection (RARE Replay requires an update to run the 360 games at all, or was it the N64 games...?).
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Seeing that leaks are becoming more and more prevalent (legit or not) I'm wandering what impact they have on sales. I still see people who say they wouldn't buy an Xbox because it's always online (even though that's not the case anymore)  so the first impression is extremely important. 

Gamers are a fickle bunch, they'll say anything. When Star Wars battlefront was coming out, comments were littered with "no campaign, not buying. Or "$50 DLC, not buying". Last I checked sales were through the roof.

Anyway Nintendo is somewhat dissimliar to xbox , more people I think aren't willing to pass on exclusive mario, pokemon, zelda games etc.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I still think Nintendo has the best games this console generation.

Critics seems to agree with me (if you take away all of the 'ported from 360/PS3 games).

• teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Fuiosg said:

Gamers are a fickle bunch, they'll say anything. When Star Wars battlefront was coming out, comments were littered with "no campaign, not buying. Or "$50 DLC, not buying". Last I checked sales were through the roof.

Anyway Nintendo is somewhat dissimliar to xbox , more people I think aren't willing to pass on exclusive mario, pokemon, zelda games etc.
    Oh that's true for sure. However, I was talking about people who do not follow the news as closely as hardcore gamers. There's a large number of people who buy games yet pay no attention to the gaming media. I've seen this leak reported by dozens of large, non-gaming sites and I feel that in the era of social media, where fake information spreads like wildfire things like that might have an impact. More so with Nintendo which has a large casual userbase. 

polyhertz:

True, although I keep getting surprised by how many people keep thinking you have to be online all the time. Maybe not so much today, but a year after Xbox One release I heard this come up fairly often. Even though Microsoft backpedalled on this immediately, the message went out there.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Fake Nintendo leaks have existed for like 2 decades now online yet people keep falling for it. Remember the Nintendo ON?
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    I am going to uncritically believe every nintendo rumor that I encounter from now until the end of time because that's like half the fun of being a nintendo fanboy. I ain't scared.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Odow said:
    Pretty sure it's fake, it looks nothing like a nintendo console. It looks like something a parent would NEVER let a kid touch.

I love the wii u, one of my most favorite console too :< Gamepad is so nice =3=
    I regularly see parents hand their fussy 3 year old an iPad or iPhone to play with.  The lack of good joysticks is the biggest problem with smartphones and tablets and I'm sure Nintendo notices the fact that more people are playing with smartphones than their own handhelds these days.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    shame this was a fake. a ninty gadget that actually looks like a 21st century device would have been nice for a change. i wanted it to be true. :)

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It did look pretty damn convincing on this mockup here - 

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    even fake, that looks pretty cool. If they worked on the ergonomics and had good haptic feedback, that'd actually be quite genius. Devs could essentially make the button layout themselves for games.
  • VisionNova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VisionNova polycounter lvl 2
    I think if the mock up is sort of real it needs to be larger then that. 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Touch buttons really wouldn't work. I like the idea for the screen like that but you have to have actual buttons.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, I feel the same. I think most gamers want actually buttons, as a reference point, at minimum. I don't want to look at my controller, to make sure I'm over the jump button, and then guess at the rest of them. This sounds fine, in concept, and also works well, if you're looking at the screen, but for a console, I don't think this would work.