Home General Discussion

A discussion about branding

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Hi everyone.

Yesterday I found myself thinking about branding, as a game artist.

Obviously we know our online identity is basically a brand, being the type of artist that we are in the modern age. Consistency is important, and so it usability/readability, especially in relation to our websites, but also avatars, and things like that.

That being said, it isn't just about having a good brand/consistent design elements. There are preferred styles, and not falling into line can either make you more appealing, or a major turn off, depending on how it's executed, and on who's viewing.

An example of unique branding, that is executed really well, is Marie-M Pepin's website. It's clean and classy, and very different than most portfolio designs for game artists. It's an absolute favorite of mine, branding wise. But I imagine some people dislike the serif logo font, and the pure white background (which to me, are the most defining elements of it.

So here's the thing; how adventurous can we get with our branding before turning people off? Is a white background admissible, if the design is good, and if your work isn't super dark, and therefore hard to view by contrast? Or do some people see white, and just immediately complain? And is it ok to alienate people like that, for the sake of a good, unique, and consistent brand?

And as someone who has a strong view about design, and a unique taste; is it better to go with the crowd, when designing your website (i.e. Design by committee), or to do what brings you the most joy, and what you feel is most consistent with who you are, and how you want your website and branding to be?

TL;DR: Is it more important for your website and branding to be agreeable to the most people, or unique/true to who you are?

And also, if your work is amazing, do you have more flexibility in this regard than someone who is good, but not great?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Website design ultimately does not matter at all. Employers just want to get to the meat as quickly and easily as possible, so they can judge whether the artist is suitable or not. Marie's site is great at this. 

We have some good info here about branding. I don't want to repeat it all, trust me it's worth reading.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think you are overthinking it a little - as said above, the quality of work really is what matters. And if a potential viewer ( future boss ? art director ?) can't see past a font choice, then you probably don't want to work for that person anyways :)

However ... for the sake of being productive, If I may take your own site as an example I think you may have gone overboard with font/text use. There is no real need to cover your own art with text to a point where it ends up breaking the careful compositions you have spend hours crafting. It almost looks as if someone else took you art and added text on top and around it to distract from it, and this is unnecessary. I think your portfolio layout needs to breathe much more - at the moment it feels on the cramped side, and very dark.

I hope this makes sense !
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    For those of you who are saying that your website design doesn't ultimately matter (just usability), I only agree if you're looking for studio jobs.  If you're looking to become a sought after artist with a large online following that largely does freelance or personal projects to pay the bills, then I definitely think you need to set yourself apart and offer and consistent unique visual style.  Of course for "game artists" that's a much less traveled path, but for illustrators (as an example) I think it's definitely important.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I remember sitting in a meeting to look at potential candidates and the only thing the art director was interested in was the work and how quickly the images loaded. The second that a website was hard to navigate or an image took too long to load (5mb .pngs..) he stopped looking at it. He actually mentioned that he would rather be looking at an Artstation portfolio than some of the websites we looked at (in terms of usability). That should give you an idea of what art directors / recruiters are looking for in a website. 

I don't have much experience with freelance / a large online following through. 

When there's 40 applicants to look through, good branding is nice; however, ease of navigation and quick image loading are the most important factors. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The domain name should be the full name of the artist if that artist is a freelancer (my mistake cause I invented a business name that is now registered). The domain name should not have free hosting directories in that name (except wp and so).

The website should be clean, no loaders. The very first page should tell your public what you do without having to read. The real name of the artist should be in full at the top of that page. For example http://pioroberson.com/wp2014/ That takes care of white.

Having said that write text and include descriptions in your site to help SEO

Target your work and site to the people you want to sell to. That takes care of style.

If your work is stellar you can get away with a free blog and as your work sells itself the rules above dont apply. However great artists always have their name prominently displayed. That takes care of geniuses!

Your website will not sell itself and if you are of middle ability then you should use all the other social platforms and personal networking to point to your professional self. It's quite a bit of work but these days I think its necessary.

Cheerio

• Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Echoing what's been mentioned above, most important thing is that your images can be accessed and viewed with ease. Very frustrating to cycle through a website that has massive loading times (you don't have to upload massive images to showcase your work).

Another thing to consider is the platform your website will be viewed in. When I was at Uni I HTML coded my own website and, as a result, you could only view it on google chrome because if you tried anything else it was broken. I then switched to Squarespaced (which is the platform Marie-M Pepin is using) for my website and that basically sorts out all of the coding for me and my site works on every platform.

Some people like to make logos and stuff like that but I now just prefer to have my name, what I do and then my artwork (which is what is most important).
    Ultimately I think a critical aspect of portfolio branding is how you "brand" the images. I personally have all of my images on my website branded with my name and website link. Imagine someone likes your work, saves it to their desktop and after a few months they want to get hold of you but don't know where or how to do so. Brand your images :)

To get picky I would look into consistency. Same fonts, sizes, colours, spacing, CV in style with website and all that will help to give an overall good impression. You show that you have taken consideration into how you present yourself and that is also noted.

Oh, and I prefer dark value to light value as I think it frames the image better, but that's just personal opinion :smiley: 

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I think as an artist, you should try to apply your artistic skills in every field, this includes graphic design and webdesign. If I see a portfolio with text written in comic sans, or images with a generic sci fi font, stretched out, with black bars and patterns all over the image, I would assume that person has not reached an artistic sensibility level where he can appreciate simplicity, cleanliness - achieving what is needed and nothing more. It looks like it's lacking finesse, or a personal touch, and I think those things are good to have.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    huffer said:
    I think as an artist, you should try to apply your artistic skills in every field, this includes graphic design and webdesign.
    I fully agree with this, and that's part of what got me to thinking.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies; this is exactly what I wanted to get going. A discussion on branding, so we can see a little more about it, from personal perspectives. I know a lot of the things people "generally agree upon" get boiled down into a kind of gospel, and as such, I find it can be a little simplistic and one-sided at times.

But I think the individual ideas here in this thread so far show how diverse the opinions can truly be.

kanga , while I like the idea of the full-name domain name, I find it's pretty difficult, unless you want to tack on other words. Take my name, for instance: Andrew Leslie. AndrewLeslie dot com is taken by a photographer, and AndyLeslie dot com is taken by a website that's blocked on my work computer for mature content. I think I made the logical choice here, which I've seen many make: if you have a username you've used forever, and it's not taken, it can be a good domain name, as well. It is, after all, your brand. But I definitely agree about having your full name, writ large, on your website's header.

Beefaroni, you're right, for sure. Speed of loading and ease of use are absolutely most important. I think there is really no argument to say otherwise. No use having a beautiful website if no one ever sees it.

And Pior, thanks for the feedback on my own site. I certainly see its flaws, and get the urge to redesign it regularly, haha. But it's unfortunately not a natural talent of mine, and I'll probably switch over to a premade solution at some point.

• SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Ahhh that makes me cringe a little bit.
    You're a game artist mang.
    Work on some projects and make a bunch of cool stuff.
    Then work on some more projects and make some cooler stuff
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    People overthink branding... It's not 2005 anymore, nobody saves .jpgs to a "potential hires" folder. They follow you on Artstation, they know your name, they contact you through social media. If you post your work broadly, people will know you by it. If it gets stolen it barely matters (doesn't hurt you, doesn't help the thief pass an art test...) I used to type my name on all my renders, now I don't even do that. It's not needed. If you go so far as to have some kind of custom graphic branding stamp it can actually cross over into looking embarrassing. Just churn out good assets, focus on that. Present them cleanly and post them to all the relevant places.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I used to type my name on all my renders, now I don't even do that. It's not needed
    I'd disagree. I've had people reach out because they saw a render of mine on "x" site without actually being on my artstation/website. If my name or website wasn't on the images they would have never found me. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, name and/or website written in a corner doesn't hurt. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I get emails from people who found my old art reposted to pinterest so I think it probably helps. In my case anyway (non-3D art).

I don't even put a name on my work it's just an email in the corner.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    As mentioned above, just looking for a studio position and wanting to be a well known artist/freelancer is two different things,  good branding etc to get popularity and be recognized is the way to go if your goal is to be asked to work on projects. it has almost no meaning if you are applying to the position yourself, other then that they maybe recognize your work, that might matter to some people.

But regardless good work would still be needed.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    beefaroni said:
    I'd disagree. I've had people reach out because they saw a render of mine on "x" site without actually being on my artstation/website. If my name or website wasn't on the images they would have never found me. 
    YMMV. Reverse image search etc. It doesn't hurt to write your name on shit but in my experience it's less important than many think. Certainly big graphic logos are not needed
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Reverse image search etc.
    Very good point. Now, reverse image search is as easy (in chrome at least) as right clicking on the image, and choosing search by image. Or clicking and dragging into google's image search. If someone likes your art enough, I imagine that wouldn't be too much effort for them to go through.

But including your website address or something, somewhere small on the image, can only make it that much easier to find you and your work. Even if it isn't the dealbreaker it used to be.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    C'mon, most Art Directors or Recruiters aren't reverse image searching your stuff. Maybe some younger guys will. You never want someone to have to do extra work to see your stuff.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I don't know about that, if someone likes your image enough to want to see what else you've done by manually typing the url into their browser then they'll probably be willing to right click->image search.

I mentioned above that I only put my email on my work and I've gotten emails from people who found it on pinterest, most of them only emailed me after they tried searching for it online first. Unfortunately my old work isn't online anywhere (posted by me anyway) so reverse searching it just yields a bunch of pinterest and tumblr reposts.

I agree with Amsterdam that it probably isn't critically important, but considering the trivial shit people get focused on when talking about portfolios (domain names for example....) I think watermarking is definitely in the realm of demonstrably providing real value.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I don't know about that, if someone likes your image enough to want to see what else you've done by manually typing the url into their browser then they'll probably be willing to right click->image search.
    I think you're assuming that everyone in the industry is more tech savvy than they really are. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    beefaroni said:
    I think you're assuming that everyone in the industry is more tech savvy than they really are. 
    Not everyone needs to be, just the ones who matter and I like to think that most art directors/leads know how to use a browser. I suppose I could be wrong.