Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Change working photoshop resolution

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Is there any way to change the working resolution in photoshop like there use to be ? WOrking with 8k documents it killing the speed and making it unworkable 

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Skyline, a couple of things you can do:

Use dDo's flatten maps feature to non-destructively flatten your textures, allowing you to speed your work up. Save, close Photoshop, and reopen afterward to see the benefit.
    Reimport at a lower resolution and then reimport at 8k when you're done.
    Invest in more RAM (If you're using 32, try using 64 - just as a thought :smile: ) - 8k texturing is a very intensive process.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Yea our work machines have 32 but its struggling lol. I did not know you could flatten them NON DESTRUCTIVELY . is there a link or vid on how to use that feature ?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's in the main dDo window - should be called "flatten below this layer" or something similar. :smile: 

I also forgot another thing you can do: lower Photoshop's history states to 5 or fewer, preferably 1. That may help with RAM, in addition to closing everything that isn't Photoshop and the SUITE while you're working.
  • Raphki
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphki null

Reimport at a lower resolution and then reimport at 8k when you're done
    does this work completely non-destructive? its not really clear for me.
    my project is 4k right now, so i could hit the reimport button, change the resolution to 2k, recreate, continue my work and when im done, go to reimport again and change it back to 4k before export without losing any detail?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I don't see why you'd lose any detail. The masks are procedural and based on *.XML code - so you should be able to go up and down in resolution without any trouble. :)
  • Raphki
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphki null
    thats awesome. thanks for the quick reply B)