Home Technical Talk

Odd Edges in Tessellated Normal Map Bake

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
I've been trying to convert the Substance Skewmesh baking process from 3ds max to Maya. I'm running into one odd problem though with my test. One piece always seems to bake weird. The lines are wavy and on the other edges the seams are somewhat visible.

When it is baked normally, that edge problem goes away but the bolts and stuff are skewed (which I'm trying to fix with Peter's method). I assume it has something to do with the way the model is triangulating after the divisions are added. Any insight would be appreciated. 

Bake result

Low poly. Edges are hardened, UVs are split. Pretty much all of the standard baking stuff is taken care of. Extra divisions are for the bake.

High poly:

In addition, I'm curious if the triangulation problem in Maya is due to the way it triangulated when add divisions is used. Here is the tessellate modifier in Max applied which I assume will work. Anything similar to that in Maya?

So when I bring this mesh into Maya and export, it bakes without a problem. Hmm. I'm leaning towards the triangulation then. Any way to get a similar result to 3ds max triangulation when adding divisions in Maya?

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Try changing from faceweighted normals to unweighted.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    So here's the fixes that the guys on Slack helped me with.

In Maya, add divisions using quads. Before triangulating, lock the normals and switch the shape mesh in Attribute editor to Angle weighted (Mesh Controls > Vertex Normal Method > Angle Weighted). 

It should bake fine after that. I probably will not get the chance to record a tutorial today but I will have one over the weekend for sure!
  • HugoLANDA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HugoLANDA null
    hi all, i have the same problem, and i tryed to use the fixes that you say beefaroni but i think i am doing something wrong, have you done the tutorial of how you make it work, it would be very helpful.