Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First photogrammetry test

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ANıL İŞBİLİR polycounter lvl 8
Low Poly meshes from photogrammetry data. Planning to bake normal maps create an Unreal scene from detailed versions.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These look neat! But please post JPGs instead of PNGs. Please read the sticky Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions, especially "Make Your Artwork Easy to View" which explains how to solve this.

• ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These look neat! But please post JPGs instead of PNGs. Please read the sticky Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions, especially "Make Your Artwork Easy to View" which explains how to solve this.

Thanks. Sorry about the PNGs. Just fixed them.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

New bark material, tessellated and displaced from a cylinder mesh.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    This is pretty good, especially the bark.

Your AO might be too strong on your rocks and ground, I don't know if it's the AO map or the delighting which causes the issue.
    I could be wrong but it seems you're only baking yout normal map from the high poly, which makes it a bit smooth, you can combine it with a normal map created from the diffuse to get a sharper look.

Keep up the good work :smile: 
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Anilisbilir,

Those look very nice, specially the 8th picture :)
    Some of them look a bit soft, like SEBVHE said, you can overlay a normal map created in a plugin like nDo or nVidia to make it look sharper :)

Sebvhe said:

Your AO might be too strong on your rocks and ground, I don't know if it's the AO map or the delighting which causes the issue.
    I could be wrong but it seems you're only baking yout normal map from the high poly, which makes it a bit smooth, you can combine it with a normal map created from the diffuse to get a sharper look.

I just read your tutorial about photogrammetry, very nice stuff man, I'm going to take some pictures and practise it as soon as I get a good lightning condition (here in Birmingham is quite easy to get a cast sky!)

n4uj

• ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj said:
    Hi Anilisbilir,

Those look very nice, specially the 8th picture :)
    Some of them look a bit soft, like SEBVHE said, you can overlay a normal map created in a plugin like nDo or nVidia to make it look sharper :)

Sebvhe said:

I just read your tutorial about photogrammetry, very nice stuff man, I'm going to take some pictures and practise it as soon as I get a good lightning condition (here in Birmingham is quite easy to get a cast sky!)

n4uj

Thanks, I envy you, few more weeks and I'll lose the overcast weather. Those were the test models with less detail. I just completed my second game ready model from these. Around 2000 polys, I baked the small details to normal map and I'm pretty happy from the results right now. I will try the detail normal method with the bark too.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Yes that last rock is very good, I can feel it's way sharper than your first rocks, good job !

n4uj said:

Thanks dude, I hope I'm going to see more and more awesome photogrammetry on Polycount !
    And yes living close to Birmingham myself I can tell that the issue is more about getting a dry ground than an overcast sky :wink: 

• ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Another low poly mesh done. There are several texture bugs I am planning to fix soon.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Do you have a good reference for a tutorial about photogrammetry? I think these materials and meshes look really nice and would be interested in trying it out myself a bit. I especially like the bark materials you have.
    Also, have you tested how well this looks in an engine like UE4? You're using Marmoset to test the materials currently correct? I'd be curious to see how well it actually transferred over. I know Marmoset is meant to be very close to how it'd look in UE4 but it always seems to be sliiiightly different. Also there are a lot of things you can do with the material editor in UE4 that you can't do in Marmoset that might be interesting to look into for something like this. More just my curiosity, I don't think for displaying things like this that one is necessarily more correct than the other. :)
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    ANıL İŞBİLİR At this point if you want some feedback you will need to upload a Marmoset viewer, because these pictures just look great :wink:

@nickcomeau : I just made tutorial about photogrammetry, it focuses more on tileable textures but it still explains all the photogrammetry process. You could also have a look at the notes from the UE4 Kite Demo.
    In Marmoset if you set the shader to be Metalness or Adv. Metalness it's very very close to what Unreal does, I think if you don't get the same result, you'd better change the lighting setup rather than the textures. I'm going to import all my photogrammetry textures soon in UE4, I'll see if it's matching what I get in Marmoset.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a tree stump for my first scan too :) Looks like you are getting some good results those latest rocks look very nice indeed!
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First screenshots in UE, grassy parts look kinda dull. Any advice on grass/vegetation materials?

• n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    what texture size and what polycount do you use for the in game assets?

The last rocks look awesome!!
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj said:
    what texture size and what polycount do you use for the in game assets?

The last rocks look awesome!!
    Thanks,
    8k textures, I'll probably set them to 4k, at least the diffuse map. 2350 triangles, without tessellation on.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This one is done with over 30 photos, took a while to process them. I'm pretty happy with the result I'm getting now.
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Please tell me you mean 300 photo  o-o

These just keep getting better though.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1439036619645915/
    Alot of the really good photogrammetry guys/studios are on this group.

• ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please tell me you mean 300 photo  o-o

These just keep getting better though.
    Haha, no, 30 is enough actually. This time I took my time and got more stable photos and from more extreme angles. Also I worked more carefully on the textures, especially the normal map.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 said:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1439036619645915/
    Alot of the really good photogrammetry guys/studios are on this group.

Thanks. Definitely look into it.
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    I guess that the number of shoots depends on the quality of the camera, the resolution of the photo and the experience of the photographer. I normally take between 60 and 160 shots, but my camera is an old dslr with the autofocus a bit weary!
    Have you ever tried to make a model of a human face?
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Hey there! Nice scans, the realtime render look pretty realistic to me!
    May I ask you for the settings you use?
    I started scanning too, but I came up with some error in Agisoft even if I'm using less than 10 pictures it just crashes at half way of the progress bar when generating the mesh... And it's not like my computer can't handle it I have some Asus Rog laptop thing.
    Thank you

• ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj said:
    I guess that the number of shoots depends on the quality of the camera, the resolution of the photo and the experience of the photographer. I normally take between 60 and 160 shots, but my camera is an old dslr with the autofocus a bit weary!
    Have you ever tried to make a model of a human face?
    Right. If you are going for a low poly mesh, a decent camera and Agisoft Photoscan is more than enough. But it has problems with surface details if you want something more complex.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey there! Nice scans, the realtime render look pretty realistic to me!
    May I ask you for the settings you use?
    I started scanning too, but I came up with some error in Agisoft even if I'm using less than 10 pictures it just crashes at half way of the progress bar when generating the mesh... And it's not like my computer can't handle it I have some Asus Rog laptop thing.
    Thank you

Thanks. Agisoft may have problems building cloud data if you have less than 10 photos. It haven't crashed, but I got a big blob instead of a mesh when I tested it with low quality photos. Make sure you disable any blurred or out of focus photos when building your cloud data at the start. Also laptops tend to have low amount of rams, even the gaming ones, it might be a problem too. Other than that I have no idea why it crashes when building mesh.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here is a branch we captured earlier. I didn't have enough photos, so I had to reconstruct the gaps in the mesh.
    https://www.artstation.com/p/91lxW