Home Unity Store

Super High res SSAA screenshots in Unity

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Shrike interpolator
Hey guys

we worked on a new feature for our SSAA tool which you can use to make really nice screenshots in Unity

The cool thing is that you can work as usual on your scene in a small Unity workspace window,
but take a screenshot in the size and format you want any time.

So you could be working in 550 x 550 and then make a p.Ex. 4000 × 2000 picture in 21:9 Cinema Widescreen the next second. The best thing is that the screenshot is 4x Super Sampled on top (which would be rendered at 16000 x 8000 then downscaled in this case), for insane image quality. You can go as high as your GPU allows.

Here is a screenshot we made, its only 2880x1620 but thats because the scene looks best from afar ; ) the assets don't hold up close but thats unrelated. You can see the edges, general image sharpness and texture sampling is outstanding.
> https://hostr.co/file/tGwIJzldhHLQ/High-res-screen6.png We tested up to 8K (final res) with 3GB vram,
with a titan you could likely be making 16-32k images but not 100% sure.

To get an impression what SSAA alone does in realtime:

The Ultra Screenshot feature is part of our SSAA for Unity, which is currently on Sale for just 13 bucks or so.
The update is actually not live yet, but should be there like today or tomorrow, really any day.
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/37214  Figured this might be interesting!

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Good job!

Sounds like a strange request, but is there any way you can remove all filtering, compression, and mipping from all textures?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Not sure what you mean, you mean all the Unity built in things ? This is kinda unrelated tho

If you want to have sharp pixel style textures, set your filtering to point (which is nearest neighbor, so no interpolation) the texture setting to automatic truecolor (uncompressed but large file size) and mip mapping can be turned off too if you set the texture type to advanced.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    lol, first I thought this was realtime and was getting excited. :D
    Unity is so 2010 ... unbelievable.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Shrike said:
    Not sure what you mean, you mean all the Unity built in things ? This is kinda unrelated tho

If you want to have sharp pixel style textures, set your filtering to point (which is nearest neighbor, so no interpolation) the texture setting to automatic truecolor (uncompressed but large file size) and mip mapping can be turned off too if you set the texture type to advanced.
    Yeah.... you could do those things for sure. But when taking a screenshot, it can be annoying turning those all off on every single texture, then taking the screenshot, then reverting it all back to how it was each time I wanna take a screen.

I've always personally wanted these things for an ultra-screenshot tool I've always wanted these things but have never managed to successfully convince anyone.

;/

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    defragger said:
    lol, first I thought this was realtime and was getting excited. :D
    Unity is so 2010 ... unbelievable.
    SSAA is realtime. Here is our realtime web demo: > http://www.flowfiregames.com/#!ssaaviewer/c1thf

@Jacque - I see, you can set mip mapping globally, but not make textures uncompressed thats true. Well SSAA improves your textures so much that you would not gain any noticeable difference from doing these things either way.

• Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    You know you could just have the screenshot tool scripted to generate a camera rig and take any screenshot size you want regardless of hardware (admittedly you'd then have to stitch it together hence the watermarks on this image, but you get the same result.)... like something I did back in 2009, done on a pentium 4 with about 1gb of ram (it took a while and opening it in an image editor took forever, luckily PS had a the PSB format as it was too large pixel wise for a PSD).
    http://gigapan.com/gigapans/24413 (disclaimer: I was still young, immature and newbie (arguably still so) so ignore the description, also fail at not turning off the DoF! I'm actually surprised I could still find it (the image) tbh)

The SSAA looks interesting, but how much does it cost performance wise vs the other methods in Unity?

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Stitching is not needed unless you want to make screenshots that far surpass your GPU limitations, like something crazy as 20k+.
    In your case you had the high res screenshots (similar to how people used to make them in Unreal 3) but not have them Super Sampled on top which is one of the key things. How were the dimensions of that image actually ? Our function was not really meant to break size records or something, not sure where the limits are within Unity. We made a 8k screenshot that was ssampled from 16k on a 3GB ATI card.
    The realtime SSAA effect can be scaled linearly, it is expensive but you can make it cost as much as your PC allows / you want. You can actually even go negative for increased FPS and lower quality. 

Actually I will load the blacksmith demo and try how high I can go with my 6GB 980 Ti.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    IIRC the dimension of the final image was around 72,000 * 16,000 or some distribution of that.