Home Technical Talk

[Modo] Stop background grid from dynamically adding subdivisions to itself

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Been getting into Modo these past couple of weeks.

How do I get Modo to STOP dynamically subdividing the background grid (not the Workplane) when I zoom in or out?

Replies

• Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Snapping settings or preferences.
    Force fixed grid.

This isn't a solution since it forces you to snap to a specific  increment(i.e. 6"). They need to implement fix grid, it's really needed for level design.

@Brian,
    If you have an account on the foundry forum, file a bug report and instead of a bug file it as a feature request.

I asked for the same thing, David Box  reply on this: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=32&t=109585&page=8

• repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    It's actually very easy to set this up, I still use the po2 grid settings because I am cute like that but you can set it up to what ever metric unit you want:

I can change grid settings on the fly without losing my selection:

The menus I have as buttons on my main viewport so I can quickly change the settings while I work. BTW don't use force fixed use fixed instead as it makes life easier when snapping to verts !!! 

If your handy with scripting you could just add 2 buttons to your vp to simply go up and down in increments.

• StormyBA
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    ^^ I had something similar to this but seems to have stopped working in some of the more recent updates. Maybe I just need to spend some time getting it setup again. 

The script I've got installed is called "powertool" - although i just made my own form and assigned the included commands to my own popup for ease of use. 
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    This is the macro:
    #LXMacro#
    tool.snapType component grid true
    pref.value opengl.gridSnap fixed
    pref.value opengl.gridFixed .16

It's set for po2 but you can set it to whatever unit you want.