[Modo] Stop background grid from dynamically adding subdivisions to itself

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi interpolator
Been getting into Modo these past couple of weeks.

How do I get Modo to STOP dynamically subdividing the background grid (not the Workplane) when I zoom in or out?

Replies

• Tidal Blast
    Offline / Send Message
    Tidal Blast polycounter lvl 3
    Snapping settings or preferences.
    Force fixed grid.
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Snapping settings or preferences.
    Force fixed grid.

This isn't a solution since it forces you to snap to a specific  increment(i.e. 6"). They need to implement fix grid, it's really needed for level design.

@Brian,
    If you have an account on the foundry forum, file a bug report and instead of a bug file it as a feature request.

I asked for the same thing, David Box  reply on this: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=32&t=109585&page=8

• Tidal Blast
    Offline / Send Message
    Tidal Blast polycounter lvl 3
    As much as I agree that it is not "perfect", it's workable. I usually either create a box that I keep in the background and once that's done... I'm not sure why you would need the grid. Even if the ratio changes when zooming in or out, you can easily deduce what ratio actually matches with the forced grid.

It's one of thise features like not being able to hide backface faces that leaves you wondering why are those little important features not there already when they keep saying games, games, ganes, games, lol.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 4
    It's actually very easy to set this up, I still use the po2 grid settings because I am cute like that but you can set it up to what ever metric unit you want:

I can change grid settings on the fly without losing my selection:

The menus I have as buttons on my main viewport so I can quickly change the settings while I work. BTW don't use force fixed use fixed instead as it makes life easier when snapping to verts !!! 

If your handy with scripting you could just add 2 buttons to your vp to simply go up and down in increments.

• StormyBA
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 2
    ^^ I had something similar to this but seems to have stopped working in some of the more recent updates. Maybe I just need to spend some time getting it setup again. 

The script I've got installed is called "powertool" - although i just made my own form and assigned the included commands to my own popup for ease of use. 
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 4
    This is the macro:
    #LXMacro#
    tool.snapType component grid true
    pref.value opengl.gridSnap fixed
    pref.value opengl.gridFixed .16

It's set for po2 but you can set it to whatever unit you want.