Home General Discussion

I don't like to be associated with the term ''artist''

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
We've had this recent discussion with one of my friends. 

It's such a complex discussion but I think we have to talk about it. I don't know about you guys, but when I say I wanna work in CG art, nobody takes my career choice seriously (not even my parents sadly). For my friends who study in engineering and science, I'm always bound to be that clueless naive guy who study art...''it's an artist''.... :confused: 

The term ''artist'' has grown to have a pejorative connotation sometimes and for a reason; If anyone can call himself an artist, then nobody really is one...

A guy that hasn't obtained its diploma in engineering and worked in the field cannot call himself an engineer. Same goes for a doctor, a nurse, an architect, even a teacher.

:neutral: 

See, the problem with artist is that like I said, nowadays, you don't need to do much to call yourself an artist, everybody can become one apparently. It's the same phenomenon that for example, professional cooks are living. Some people don't see ''cooks'' as being relevant professionally because every one can cook at home and call himself a cook..-_-

Same goes for artist. We've probably all witnessed it some time or another...People with little to no knowledge of photography, takes a few macro photos every month with an average cam and calls himself a ''photograph''; thus reducing the credibility of the profession in the eyes of the world .Of course, industrial workers will be able to recognize the difference between a hobbyist and a professional photograph, but I'm talking about the average person here (family, friends, consumers,etc.) :

This phenomenon can be seen among other artistic fields like professional visual artists , dancers, musicians,  people who study theater and acting; said fields aren't considered seriously because too many people have ''dumbed down'' the professional side of them.

A guy who scribbles a few sketches in his notebook at school can call himself an artist, amateurs who participates in improvisation contest can call himself an actor,  people who sing or dance at home can call themselves dancers; all of this groups the said phenomenon that is not seen in other fields like I said up there...
Not anyone can call themselves an engineer, an architect,etc. without the necessary qualifications to be called so...

When I was a kid, I would watch those ''behind the scene'' videos of traditional Disney animators working their skills unto the paper, flipping pages and drawing masterpieces, sheets after sheets. For me, they didn't look like artist; at least, not the conventional one. THEY WERE DRAFTSMAN (or ''artisan'' in french), a term Jacques Choi already employed once here, (which really stroke me)...

We don't do this thing only for fun or creativity,  we all aspire to get better, to be among the top workers in our field, which itself is an industrial field. We deal with technical constraints day after day, we're not just people drawing or sculpting. We have to evolve, adapting ourselves with strict pipeline and available tools...

Why is it so that people who haven't worked professionally can call themselves a 3D artist? How is it that people with bad skills can call themselves an artist just because he enjoys it?  Even I, don't wanna call myself an artist; because first, I don't have the professional qualifications to be one yet. Second; people don't take artists seriously because too many of them doesn't have any professional credibility...

Not anyone can or should call themselves an artist!
Yet, everyone at my school does...

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Artists don't have to be good at what they do to express themselves, admittedly.  As sucky as it may be, if an individual is creating something of aesthetic value, he/she is an artist.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I personally do not care too much about titles. I feel it may be partially about the fact that titles such as Engineer and architect are usually earned when people have acquired jobs in their field, meanwhile the term Artist is applied mostly to people who are hobbyist or do it very occasionally and very casually, opposed to jobs such the ones I previously identified which are done much less on the hobbyist level. 

One thing I have found is that the more specific you are with your titles the more likely people are going to recognise it as a more professional thing e.g. Technical artist, Environment artist.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Artists don't have to be good at what they do to express themselves, admittedly.  As sucky as it may be, if an individual is creating something of aesthetic value, he/she is an artist.

See, I know that. I know all about it. I can make sculptures with feces in the snow and call myself an artist....
    But what about all the other professionals one that are also called ''artists'', do you really think, they wanna be associated with me?

People who builds stuff or building with legos, can they call themselves engineer?

I know this thread really seems stupid or obsolete but I've become tired to explain to my peers and family that I'm not just ''drawing stuff'' at schools...
    For me, ''artist'' has such a reductive connotation I don't wanna be associated with it anymore...
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Actually Engineers don't need a degree if you do engineering you are an Engineer, I actually heard this from an Engineer with a degree lol, but there is a difference between a hobbyist Engineer and a professional Engineer, same way there is a difference between a hobbyist artist and a Professional artist.

I would not worry about labels too much though you can call an unsigned musician a musician, you can call a crappy artist an artist.

and for those so obsessed with the label of being called an artist and not producing good works and advancing, well you can call a tortoise a bird, even coat it in feathers, but it's still never going to fly.

and finally don't forget, Hitler was an artist, so at least they aren't Hitler.
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    I get what you're saying and I agree that people may think when you call yourself an "artist" they may not think much of it. I personally don't refer to myself as a straight-up artist, I call myself a more specific term - 3d artist, or game artist, or I just tell people I work in the game industry. That usually makes what I do sound more serious and interesting. Sometimes people don't know what it means to be a 3d/game artist, so I get a chance to explain what it is. Maybe you're being to broad when talking to people about what you do/plan on doing. I'm not sure what your goal is, but if you actually are looking into becoming a traditional artist, tell people you are working on becoming a concept artist or illustrator, and it will hold more ground. Just be more specific about your goals and people will take you more seriously. That's just me thinking out loud ;)
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Who cares?

Just put the time in and make cool art. Stop being insecure about being an "artist". 
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Words are just labels - that is to say, conversational tools.

This discussion is actually not that complex. As soon as someone uses a vague term that can apply to many different things (in this case, "artist"), simply ask for their precise definition of it. If it matches with your own, then the conversation can continue ; if it doesn't, or is too vague, then agree on one precise definition ... or use another word altogether (like "Smurf" or anything alien like that ).

From there the conversation becomes crystal clear, and someone getting into the "debate" just for the sake of being controversial or stirring shit up by twisting words will have nothing to add. It's also a good way to distinguish between people who are genuinely interested in chatting with you and the ones who just want to be annoying and have no interest in expanding their views.

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Blond said:
    I don't know about you guys, but when I say I wanna work in CG art, nobody takes my career choice seriously (not even my parents sadly). For my friends who study in engineering and science, I'm always bound to be that clueless naive guy who study art...''it's an artist''...
    You got two problems here:
    1) You're saying instead of showing (don't say you want to be a CG artist, be a CG artist and have your work speak for you).
    2) Giving too much weight to what other people with different values, upbringings and aspirations are saying about you. What they're saying is being more important to you than your passion for the field.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    Care less about what other people think of you.
  • zetheros
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Just call yourself a "Digital Media Producer" like myself :D
    You can almost smell the money *rubs fingers together*
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    As a former ballroom dancer/instructor, technically you can only call someone a dancer after
    1. He/She has competed,
    2. He/She has been employed to dance/teach for a living, or
    3. He/She has performed. And this one is REALLY pushing it.
    Taking dance classes here and there doesn't make you a dancer.

Is it not the same in other fields ?
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Don't get yourself worked up about the philosophical trap that entails what the term "art" is and what it applies to, people in the fine arts community have debated what is art or what makes an artist forever.

Titles mean nothing besides what your current job title is during payroll. I used to do freelance contractor work at a little advertising agency that put me on their website and called me an "Art Director," but in reality I was a contractor production artist.

Heck, if you wanted to sound smart you could say you engineer models, which technically isn't incorrect according to the dictonary:
    "to arrange, manage, or carry through by skillful or artful contrivance:
    He certainly engineered the election campaign beautifully."
    but has 0 things to do with knowing programming and math unless you do dabble in scripting, or are a technical artist. Heck, alot of people think making 3D models and animations require someone whose amazing at programming and using a computer. Some people think it means I'm an IT guy and know how to fix their internet problems they're having. Even now I get a ton of recruiters spamming my email each day with job applications for programming whereas my resume clearly states I'm a 3D modeler first and foremost.

Point is, don't lose sleep over titles. Just describe what you do at your job. My sister and I both found it funny how I ended up becoming a Database Developer afterall, where as her title as a programmer is also developer. (Mind you, the title makes sense if you're in the simulation industry as you do have to do a lot of things besides modeling such as QA, generating radar and geographical files, etc. , but to an outsider I'm a programmer from that title.)

Nowadays I just tell people I have a salary sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day and go swimming afterwards to counteract it, or better yet just show them your work :)
    I used to be in computer science and engineering for a semester when I was at college, when I told my engineering friends I was switching to the fine arts department they laughed and said good luck making money. I then proceeded to tell them how much do you think the artist got paid who designed that coke can that you're drinking from. That shut them up.

What you have to realize is someone who is not in a particular field, especially things like production art or design, have no idea to the extent what the field entails or how much it affects their perception and daily lives. A lot of people in general fail to realize everything that they buy, everything that they wear, look at, write on, surf the web on, view business powerpoint presentations, signs, logos, etc probably at one point had someone work on it who had a background in some form of visual aesthetics in order to capture someone's attention in the modern world of consumerism.

• Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I've started thinking "Artisan" is a more professional term because "artist" is too generalized.

According to Merriem-Webster.com:
    Artist
    "A person who creates art : a person who is skilled at drawing, painting, etc."
    The "etc." is where the definition is too generalized and is probably there because "art" is completely open to interpretation.

Artisan:
    "A worker who practices a trade or handicraft."
    In this case, they're using the word "trade", which is synonymous with "profession", but also stipulating that it's "handcraft", meaning not done automatically.  Computers are just our tools instead of brushes, saws, etc.

In the end, I agree with everyone else who says you shouldn't worry.  These are all just semantics that have no actual impact on what you produce.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    So... what do you want me to call you then, special snowflake?
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I use the generic term 'commercial artist', seems to fit ok. I could be a bit snooty and add an 'e' on the end if you like.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Equanim said:
    I've started thinking "Artisan" is a more professional term
    The only thing I ever associate this word with is cheesemaking
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Equanim said:
    I've started thinking "Artisan" is a more professional term
    The only thing I ever associate this word with is cheesemaking
    Or sandwich artisan at Subway. :p

Nah,  Blond, you are taking it way too far. You are animating. And/or you are modelling. And/or you are drawing. And/or you are programming. Whatever.
    It really really doesn't matter, you are getting paid to do what you are interested in. It is not your friends' or anyone's business what you do for a job. If they want to put you in the same category as someone who throws up on their fridge door in the morning and call it art, then, fine, they should go ahead and do that.

• Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    If you want you could always call yourself a designer. I'm currently studying Industrial Design but i want to move into game design/VR design.

In my opinion an artist makes thing for themselves (expression of themselves) where as a designer makes things for other people. 3D game "art" is a highly procedual activity that is always focusing on the end user. So in my opinion its more design than art
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ^ agreed. we're more like craftsmen than artists. but whatever. better than being called an operator (still happens in vfx from what i've seen). in games the designation designer is already taken for another discipline however.

personally what i dislike is the term 'senior'. supposedly relates to experience but would never slap that onto myself since in my native german it's a commonly used synonym for old fart. 1st world problem right there. :) somebody hand me a hashtag!
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I've been telling people that I'm artisan but I found it creates even more confusion. 
    Let them call it whatever they want...
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I tell them I use a a PC and not a mac.

That usually clears it all up.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I dissasociated myself with the term 'artist' a long time ago and have embraced the title  'self-made entrepeneur and visual futurist'  I'm also a vegan. 

• 0xffff
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Maybe quit talking about work so much, there are 1001 things other in life to see and experience and talk about. Go and do some of that.
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    Why is it so important what other people think of you?

You are an artist if you decided that it is your calling in life to make art and you're going through with that. Naturally, a lot of people have issues with that because everybody is being measured according to how much money they have or make. Artists traditionally don't live up to that measure. When you decide to become an artist, you leave that part of society or those considerations behind. It is a profession that is impossible to measure.

If it's so important to you what your parents think of you, well then get a degree in some generally accepted profession. Unfortunately, that might make you unhappy if you would rather make art instead. Why do your parents not support you in trying to live your dream, is perhaps a good question.

Sometimes you just have to say to yourself "I'm sorry parents, but I'm an artist." I think most artists have to do that actually. It is your good right to do what you want with your life. Life is short and you shouldn't give too much for what others would have you do with it. You'll notice this as you get older. You can't seriously spend your life trying to conform to other people's ideas about you because that would be a waste of time. And your time is limited.

Personally I call myself a game developer, which is more understandable to people in general, but even that is something that has to be fought for. It is only recently that some people have said to me, "you know it is kinda cool that you're sticking with your dreams." Some people are starting to notice that I might actually mean it for real. I guess you just need to rough it out and eventually prove to people that you really mean it. Showing your work to people helps. You can win people over that way.

I guess that's what you gotta do when your chosen profession is "artist" as well. After a couple years, when you're still doing it, people will start to take you seriously no matter how much money you make. Of course a regular income making art will help a lot since that's how people measure people, unfortunately.

Winning over your parents is hardest ;-)

BTW design is not making art for others, design is creating things with a function in mind. Art doesn't have to adhere to that limit. It is completely possible to make great art for yourself. Making art is pretty selfish, which might be another reason why some people look down on it, but on the flipside humans have always made art so much so that it became one of the pillars of humanity.

First they laugh at you, then they fight you...

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Usually those talks about what your profession is continues on to what you do, and if you have games or movie titles under your belt
    that's really all you need for them to understand it's a real profession, they might think you are sitting in front of a computer coding art into the game
    but at least most people know there is a lot of money in games and movies, so should be enough to make it sound professional.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I think your main issue is that you think about careless stuff too much. Are you a artist ? are you proud to be one ? Then push it down the throat of your friend. " Yes I am an artist" They way you're talking it's like it was a shame to be an artist, it is not. you don't need to work for disney to be an artist, creating art make you an artist. If you're one of those who really insist just freaking add title before " Hobby artist" " Professional Artist" That also why in our domain we got term like " 3D student/graduee" "Junior" Intermediate" "senior" "lead" "director"
  • slipsius
    I'm not an artist. I'm a professional artist. There's a difference.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    There's a few divergent answers here but in the end the verdict seems to be ''don't care about what other people say'' which is extremely hard for me to do since I've been living according to what others expected of me...Changing that will be very hard.

Nonetheless, despite your answers, there's still something about calling myself (students) and hobbyists ''artists'' pretty weird...

Hope I'll change my perspective when I get older.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    So? You make games?

Does that mean you play games all day??
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Keep in mind that the people who are dismissive of what you are doing or playing dumb when you are explaining it to them are probably not worth hanging out with in the first place. There no reason to keep toxic people around !
  • EarthQuake
    pior said:
    Words are just labels - that is to say, conversational tools.

This discussion is actually not that complex. As soon as someone uses a vague term that can apply to many different things (in this case, "artist"), simply ask for their precise definition of it. If it matches with your own, then the conversation can continue ; if it doesn't, or is too vague, then agree on one precise definition ... or use another word altogether (like "Smurf" or anything alien like that ).

From there the conversation becomes crystal clear, and someone getting into the "debate" just for the sake of being controversial or stirring shit up by twisting words will have nothing to add. It's also a good way to distinguish between people who are genuinely interested in chatting with you and the ones who just want to be annoying and have no interest in expanding their views.

Pior wins thread. Why are you people still posting?
  • slipsius
    Well, when it comes down to it, you are an artist. Whether you like the label or not. You should be proud of who / what you are. That could be an age thing. As you get older, you start to care less and less what people think of you. But, be proud of what you do. If you can't find pride in your work, you probably won't make it very far. If this is what you truly love to do, then just own it. And remember, you`re responsible for what you do. If your family doesn't understand what you do, that's their problem. Not yours. They`re responsible for how they take it, but quite frankly, how they take it is none of your business. Just do you
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Just prove yourself and that will shut people up.

"Oh so you're an artist?" 

"Yea I made some of the levels in Call of Duty"

"Woah really!? That's awesome!"

It doesn't matter what profession you are in people will never praise you for your potential, you only ever get praise from your output of work. People don't care how good you think you will be some day, they only care about how good you are right now.

Also as someone who was studying engineering I know first hand that engineers are extremely arrogant and will fall back on their proffession given any opportunity.
  • xhi
    Offline / Send Message
    xhi polycounter lvl 2
    im an R-tist...they said im a good drawer... so i pursued it...male me munny pls.

Relevant and not relevant- at least we're not so unlucky to be considered drawers like illustrators.
  • CGXel
    Offline / Send Message
    CGXel polycounter lvl 3
    xhi said:
    im an R-tist...they said im a good drawer... so i pursued it...male me munny pls.

LOL

Dear OP what's wrong with the term artist?, WHAT IS IT? :'c

• Supposable Lion
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    Well, unlike an engineer or scientist, an artist's work is actually all visual or rather to be experienced. Anyone can call themselves an artist, but to really earn the title of a 'great' artist anyone and everyone interested will actually see it for themselves if you've put in the hard work for it. Put your work out there, show them.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My conversations usually go like this:

Wealthy professional like a doctor, lawyer etc.. ask me what I do, I tell them I'm an artist in the game industry, they turn into a 10 year old kid and get all starry eyed about how awesome that is.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you maybe should be worrying less about random things, like being called an artist or about african culture in games and get some work done on your art : P
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    You could do what 95% of artstation did and call yourself a "Concept Designer"... Not sure why that became a thing tbh. I prefer letting people know i'm and "Concept Artist" but every time i think about it I keep thinking to myself "Concep Tardist" which makes me giggle. Might change my title to that.

Either way. Your work will speak for itself and your job title, whatever it might be is matter less. And just a way for people to be categoriesed in a profession.

p.s. A professional Cook is usually known as a Chef
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    aren't you an animator anyways?
  • slipsius
    Animator's are still artists. 

And no, a professional cook is not a Chef. Chef is reserved for the head of a restaurant, usually. The art director of the kitchen. most people in kitchens are usually called line cooks. 
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter

And no, a professional cook is not a Chef. Chef is reserved for the head of a restaurant, usually. The art director of the kitchen. most people in kitchens are usually called line cooks. 
    hense the use of the word "usually" in my statement. And No, Chef is not "usually" reserved for the head chef in a kitchen. There are many different types of Chef in a kitchen and they are not usually called line cooks... Not in the UK anyway...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef
    You say "potato" and I say "potato". Thread derailed... Moving along....

And No...Animators are not artists they are strange folk that live neither in the dark nor the light. They should be approached with great care and only when absolutely necassary.

• slipsius
    Well, as an animator, I`ll agree with that last part...
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Does it really matter? Everyone assumes I do programming when I tell them I am a game artist :pensive: 
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    Blond said:
    There's a few divergent answers here but in the end the verdict seems to be ''don't care about what other people say'' which is extremely hard for me to do since I've been living according to what others expected of me...Changing that will be very hard.

You know, start small. Change it little by little. Take some liberties here and there. You're not a robot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_Gogh

I find this inspiring. Van Gogh rarely lived according to what others expected of him, in fact he often acted like a crazy man. And then he went and did The Starry Night.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    VP of Vertex Operations, President of Polygons, Pixel Pusher, Texture Technician, Edgeloop Engineer...
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    slipsius said:
    I'm not an artist. I'm a professional artist. There's a difference.
    There's no real difference for me except that for the rest of the world adding professional mean you get paid.
  • Panupat
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    You're making Artist sounds like Philosopher now. Too convoluted lol.

They call me a tech guy but I'll be very happy to call myself, and become, an artist. I don't care if others don't take me seriously, it's not about them. Being an artist is about ME.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
     I've been thinking about this myself, actually; except I like the term artist, but don't feel like we quite match it, in every way. Certainly, we are artists. In the same way a black smith or a carpenter is an artist. But primarily, they are craftsmen (or craftswomen, or craftspeople, if you prefer). And I've grown to like that term myself, and I do think it's maybe a more accurate representation of what we do. We make functional art, and we often make it to someone else's specifications.

But at the same time, I don't feel like people will get it if you say "I'm a video-game craftsman", so... There's that. But I do think treating as a craft instead of "art" will help people realize it isn't just a career of passion, and that we expect to be compensated fairly for our time. But then, unionizing would help that too.