Home Technical Talk

MODO retop backface hide

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

When im retopoing in MODO, how do I make the ref mesh block visibility of the backfaces of the retopomesh?
Like in 3D Coat, for example.

In MODO, I get this result, which is fine on this little sphere, but gets out of control on bigger assets.

Replies

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    You have 3 choices:

A:
    B:
    C:

You can of course change the wire frame color and the transparency of it.

Cheers

PS you should have modo set up that you don't even need the topo layout (modo boiled my head so much because I had to keep changing layouts, so I made my own). You can have one view port that does it all with a few macros/scripts and a click of the mouse !!!
    Create a custom vp Spoon you wont regret it :)  
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, Repete!
    I am still doing something wrong, though. Either I have topology mode (top) and the front displays nicely, but I see the backfaces through the ref mesh. 
    Or, I disable topology mode (bottom pic) and the backfaces disappear, but my front faces will dip into the ref mesh now and then, like if I do retopo in Max.
    There is no mix between these, like 3D coat?

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    can you pm me with a small part of the mesh ? there is a feature request that has gone up today regarding the retopo features in modo. The retopo work I have done regarding retopo has been from pretty basic mudbox sculpts and I have not had many issues with it.  Don't get me wrong btw modo is no match for 3D coat's retopo tools
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am having similar problem. I tried different views but my result is like Spoon is having on his second image.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    1) Buy 3D coat on steam.
    2) ???
    3) Profit

Well, actually its a loss of profit, but.. yeah. Less frustration for me :)
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon said:
    1) Buy 3D coat on steam.
    2) ???
    3) Profit

Well, actually its a loss of profit, but.. yeah. Less frustration for me :)
    Heh doing retopo in 3d coat while writing this =) But the thing is , I really like modo and its retopo and that you can use modeling tools with retopo tools at the same moment .Its just the default  topology view mode which I hate. I really wish to know how it is possible to mod it so it looks closer to 3d coat. 
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    that's exactly how I felt.
    I bought MODO, but pretty much only use it for the occasional UVs now and then (My tests showed it had better packing than coat, which has better packing than 3ds max).
    So if you ever solve this, please return to this thread. I would love to know!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    It seems to me MODO is sooo great in soooo many ways, but there are just these small tiny quirks here and there, there is just enough to throw me off.

For example, can we now split UV edge without a script? :D 
    What do people with the steam version do?
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon said:
    It seems to me MODO is sooo great in soooo many ways, but there are just these small tiny quirks here and there, there is just enough to throw me off.

For example, can we now split UV edge without a script? :D 
    What do people with the steam version do?
    you can highlight edges you want to split and press unwrap or you can select and move a polygon in unwrap window and check the "Tear Off" option to split it. I have been actually using modo professionally for many years and overall I am very happy with it apart from some small cons.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    How do you then prevent it from re-unwrapping the whole mesh?
    If you want to just split a few edges on one UV shell, without affecting anything else?

I bought MODO 801, and I couldnt figure it out back then, without using a script that did it.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I see it now, there is no edge split option even in modo 10 or at least I cant find it. Anyway, I have been always using tear off function.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Spoon said:
    How do you then prevent it from re-unwrapping the whole mesh?
    invert selection ( [ ), lock ( j ). Unlock with ( i ).

Not sure what purpose/usefulness splitting UV by edge selection has; won't you have to then make a poly selection anyway to move those pieces? In that case why not just use the poly selection with tear off in the first place?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Perhaps it's simply a matter of habit.
    I often find I have to select way less, if I want to rip 2 islands from each other.

yesterday, I had 2 big complex islands that I wanted to split. They had 1 shared edge. And I felt a little handicapped having to select the whole giant island, instead of just splitting this 1 edge, like I can in max and maya.

is it simply a matter of old habits? :)
    It seems like a small, easy thing there would be no reason NOT to implement, to me.

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Spoon said:
    is it simply a matter of old habits? :)
    Not necessarily; it could just be that I, not having had the option of splitting UV's by edge, haven't had the chance to find it useful (though Farfarer does have a script for it).
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, and thats the script I used :) His tools and help in general is\was amazing.
    Anyway, I simply meant to point out, that it is the smaller things throwing me off a bit :)