Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP of Thomas

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Nomad33 greentooth
Hi everyone,
That my first post on polycount, and I would like to present you my last personnal project, Starkiller from "Star Wars the force unleashed"
I still have a lot to learn and I would like to have your opinion on this project so all critics are welcome!

Thanks for watching my post !

Replies

• 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dflasher polycounter lvl 17
    Damn that's tight!!!  Just got a couple crits that can be ignored, but the scalp to hair transition could be a bit smoother or more detailed and the hair section itself could use some more detailing.  it reads like a flat color almost.  Also the tear in the arm band has a quick read of geo peaking out of the mesh and not a tear (even though cloth can very well tear like that).  Those round even shapes can be deceiving.

Top notch work!   And great shader work also! :smile: 
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Either your subsurface is way too strong or you have a red light on him?  Probably both.  Still, a solid piece...nice work!
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Thanks guys for your replies !
    3DFlasher --> It's true that I'm still struggling to work well the hair, especially when they are shaved like that, I will try to rework that part !
    Slosh --> This is just a red light,
    but maybe my subsurface is too much that can give this impression ... I'll be down the intensity of the light to see what happens ! Thanks !
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hey man this is pretty good!

Couple of things though:

1. Don't rely on the lightsaber for actual lighting. Despite the brightness of the blades core, the falloff is actually quite steep. So steep in fact that in a room with very little other lighting, neither character in this scene is lit by their blades:

2. Even without that light i would guess that your subdermis is set way too high, he has an extreme case of jelly-skin going on. crank that back a bit and see how it looks.

3. The dirt on the skin has subdermis, it shouldn't. Make sure any dirt transfers to the alpha channel of the subdermis map (the alpha of that map in toolbag turns subdermis on/off, so white for any areas you want skin, black for areas you don't, and anything in between for finer control).

4. There's something funky going on with the reflections of his scelera... they're just coming across as a flat white highlight in some angles.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wenglish polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man this is pretty good!

Couple of things though:

1. Don't rely on the lightsaber for actual lighting. Despite the brightness of the blades core, the falloff is actually quite steep. So steep in fact that in a room with very little other lighting, neither character in this scene is lit by their blades:

2. Even without that light i would guess that your subdermis is set way too high, he has an extreme case of jelly-skin going on. crank that back a bit and see how it looks.

3. The dirt on the skin has subdermis, it shouldn't. Make sure any dirt transfers to the alpha channel of the subdermis map (the alpha of that map in toolbag turns subdermis on/off, so white for any areas you want skin, black for areas you don't, and anything in between for finer control).

4. There's something funky going on with the reflections of his scelera... they're just coming across as a flat white highlight in some angles.
    of course, that scene was created on physical film in the '70s... theres no telling if lucas would have made the sabers light everything up if he could have
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Hey almighty_gir ! Thanks for your replie !
    If I can say something, I did a "dark" scene with only two source of light and the first is the red light of the light saber ! If you are in the dark and you've got a lightsaber, the light will inevitably enlighten me, right? But maybe the red light is to strong !
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    blah
    of course, that scene was created on physical film in the '70s... theres no telling if lucas would have made the sabers light everything up if he could have

have some more examples of lightsabers not illuminating stuff then... i'm actually kinda surprised about Yoda though, he's REALLY close to it.

Nomad33 said:
    Here the wireframe.

Yeah your skin material is what's killing things right now. Overall his skin is too glossy, it's reading as waxy. And both the subdermis and transmission are reading way too strongly (could be that you have sky transmission/subdermis turned on... turn those off). It also looks like you have shadow blurring turned up pretty high.

Keep plugging away dude. Skin is hard to get right.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    blah

have some more examples of lightsabers not illuminating stuff then... i'm actually kinda surprised about Yoda though, he's REALLY close to it.

Nomad33 said:
    Here the wireframe.

Yeah your skin material is what's killing things right now. Overall his skin is too glossy, it's reading as waxy. And both the subdermis and transmission are reading way too strongly (could be that you have sky transmission/subdermis turned on... turn those off). It also looks like you have shadow blurring turned up pretty high.

Keep plugging away dude. Skin is hard to get right.
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Hi guys !
    I decided to rename this post "WIP of Thomas" to avoid creating a post every time I am showing you my work..!
    First, thank a lot
    almighty_gir for your feedback on the skin ! Like you said, skin is hard to get right but I'll do my best to correct it !

Second, I would like to show you my new personal project, JD, next character of the future game Gears of War 4. Still a WIP, I started this project Monday.. Tell me what you think guys !
    Thanks !

• Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Little update of the face... The eyes are too small xD

• Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
  • Nomad33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad33 greentooth
    Hey guys,

I started today to work on the skin texture.. I tried to follow to the advice given to me on my last project "Starkiller".
    Tell me what ou think, any critics are welcome :)
    Cheers