Home General Discussion

Will Donald Trump ban all immigration to the United States

pangaea
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
pangaea polycounter lvl 5
Hi Guys,

I'm really confused on why Donald Trump is so popular in the US. He seems the definition of Hitler. If you replace the word Muslim and Mexicans with Jewish people it would be the exact same thing. 

It just really frustrating especially when people get say an art degree just so they can move to the US, but he wants to just blanket ban all Muslims from entering the US. 

How can he claim all Mexicans are rapist and criminals and his poll numbers go up. He probably going to win the Republican nomination and that means its 50/50 if he would become president. 

Its insanity. 

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    because he is simply looking for attention, playing the media, and pandering to an ignorant populace who unfortunately feel these things would be a good thing to do.  I don't think something like that would ever come to pass, but I would agree that it's very disheartening to see hate speech of any kind coming from or tolerated by an elected official these days.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    He's no elected official. Just a rich loud mouth. 
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Thankfully, for now, we have a systems of checks and balances in the US. He could never get that law to pass through congress or the house. Trump panders to the, "They took our jerbs!" crowd. They scream the loudest, just like him. Trump is an extreme and in these days, extreme gets all of the press. People eat it up. Trump is well aware of the old phrase that the only bad press is no press at all. So he keeps saying stupid shit to stay relevant. Anytime he slips in popularity, he says something dumb and the media just eats it up. It's like Howard Stern back in the day. Half his listeners hated his guts but listened to him daily because they wanted to see what he'll do next.

Trump does well in social media and in random person polling, yet he doesn't do so well at the ballot box. At least for the time being, we thankfully don't elect people on Twitter.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I keep hoping that this is all a big social experiment, and one day he's going to take the stage, and explain that this was all done to point out people's prejudices, and hatred. Honestly, I'm saddened by the people who have been supporting him, and the things they say. What makes things worse are the followers trying to justify their discrimination, by claiming they are fighting 'political correctness'. 

Sadly, even the Republican alternatives are completely insane. Most of them want to run this country purely from their religious beliefs, and assume that's what the rest of the country wants. I don't like to align with either party, but the Republican party has gone to extremely right... the only candidate that I considered a valid option, was Chris Christie, and he has already dropped out
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    pangaea said:
    Donald Trump...He seems the definition of Hitler. If you replace the word Muslim and Mexicans with Jewish people it would be the exact same thing.
    He wants them deported, not sent to gas chambers. Small difference.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    PolyHertz said:
    pangaea said:
    Donald Trump...He seems the definition of Hitler. If you replace the word Muslim and Mexicans with Jewish people it would be the exact same thing.
    Hitler originally said to deport Jewish people to Africa.

If you read my struggle you won't find anything about putting Jewish people into gas chambers. 

Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from even entering the country when that would be against the law. He wants to bomb the women and children of Muslims in Iraq. He wants to bring back worse forms of torture than waterboarding. He even said Muslims celebrated 9/11 in new york that is like saying German Jewish people celebrated the defeat of Germany in WW1, which was a big lie.  
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    pangaea said:
    PolyHertz said:
    pangaea said:
    Hitler originally said to deport Jewish people to Africa.

If you read my struggle you won't find anything about putting Jewish people into gas chambers. 

Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from even entering the country when that would be against the law. He wants to bomb the women and children of Muslims in Iraq. He wants to bring back worse forms of torture than waterboarding. He even said Muslims celebrated 9/11 in new york that is like saying German Jewish people celebrated the defeat of Germany in WW1, which was a big lie.  
    Yeah, there are a lot of people here stateside drawing comparisons between Hitler and Trump. It seems like whenever you have a section of the population that feels disenfranchised or disillusioned, as the far right seems to now, then you have them looking around for people to blame: establishment politicians, immigrants, Muslims, liberals...Trump seems to have no trouble using blame and fear to motivate a population into supporting him.

That said, I don't believe any of it. I think he's saying what he says JUST to get the nomination. I think he'll start appealing to the moderates if he gets the nomination. I feel like some of the other republican candidates are a bit more...authentic...in their zealotry, and they worry me just as much.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea said:

Its insanity. 
    Actually it makes perfect sense.  Trump has already won.

If he wins or loses, it plays right into his brand.  The guy you watch because you hate him so much.

He makes his money from name recognition and public spectacle.  He has TV shows, appears on pro wrestling, sells steaks, loses money on real estate deals, etc.  He just took his gimmick to the next level.

This is what it's all about. 

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Donald Trump will not be president so it really doesn't make any difference what he says.

pangaea said:
    He probably going to win the Republican nomination and that means its 50/50 if he would become president. 
    This is not how probability works.
  • bounchfx
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7

Future president right derrrr

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    It's still hard to immigrate to the USA even under the current government. I don't think he will make immigration more difficult unless you're 1. An illegal immigrant or 2. Immigrating from a place like Iran / Iraq / Middle East.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    He's not "popular," he just makes headlines. This is proof it's working... we're talking about him on a 3D art forum.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Just be worried if he starts banning EMIGRATION - Nobody leaves Trump Island. Not alive anyway.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    This thread makes Donald Trump happy.
    He's running a front runner campaign for President of the United states and doing it on mostly free media coverage.
    I used to doubt him, I thought it was a joke that wouldn't last, but watching him win, and do it with coverage donated by a media that hates him, well it makes me wonder if he isn't actually capable of doing the things he says he wants to do AND make other people pay for it.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    To be fair, Trump never said "all mexicans are rapist". 
    There is an article written by a Bernie Supporter actually chastising the left for spreading that lie.
    http://www.salon.com/2015/12/21/the_media_needs_to_stop_telling_this_lie_about_donald_trump_im_a_sanders_supporter_and_value_honesty/

The bigger problem we have is that there is literally an extreme amount of divisiveness going on, lies and confirmation bias have become normal. You cannot really preserve a culture by importing a different one, nor can infrastructure handle any kind of mass migration. It would be great to be able to talk about real solutions and real problems without being labeled as racist, -phobic, or risk losing ones job because some activist want to punish those who are guilty of "thought crime".

Trump's support (and to some extent, Sander's as well) is resonating because too many people have to keep their thoughts and feelings hidden, that pent up frustration aimed at both parties (and the media) is finally being directed somewhere.

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Dataday said:

Trump's support (and to some extent, Sander's as well) is resonating because too many people have to keep their thoughts and feelings hidden, that pent up frustration aimed at both parties (and the media) is finally being directed somewhere.

People, on both sides of the spectrum are getting tired of the crap given to us by the establishment politicians who are bought by the donor money.

There is no Greater Issue in the United States at this time that Money in Elections. Until the money of big donors and special interests and corporations are purged from the US electoral system, none of the issues that truly matter will ever be resolved. That is because, aside from truly superficial issues that don't effect wealth and business, in the current situation, the legislature and policy will always side with that's best for the minority that make up the monied interests, not what's best for the majority of the people.

Trump and Sanders support comes strongly because they are not that establishment, though, Trump doesn't need the Donor Class, because he IS the Donor Class.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Trump isn't popular, he's leading the polls for the Republican party but is dead last in general electorate polls.  I find it funny when people outside the US sweat about Donald Trump, I find Marie Le Pen and other faaaar right politicians in Europe scarier.  He's like Rob Ford without any of the political experience and less chance of being elected into any role in government.

It's also great to see how poorly the establishment big money candidate is doing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCYMvaUcrA
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The main issue is that Trump does not talk about real solutions to real problems. He throws the most outrageous comments and ideas out there with no sign of any rational solution to any problem whatsoever. He throws lies and insults and basically incarnates every single of the worst cliches about americans but has no other plan than "we are going to do great".
    The main issue is that a lot of people feel so left out and are so defiant of "the establishment" that they take this bulshit as "true talk" and any rational discussion about the real issues is considered "politically correct" and irrelevant.
    I mean a lot of Trump's supporters would rather beleive Trump's blatant lies than any news or scientific source, even once you presented them the facts. Facts do not matter to most of these people, I feel they are driven only by the fear of everything and anything. I find it very scary that such a large portion of the population think this way.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    taking a percent of a percent, he seems to impress 12% to 14% of the country.  Now that may seem scary but around the same number of Americans think Obama is the antichrist and that didn't stop him from being a two term president.  I mean they think he is actually heralding in the biblical end of times!  The people who would vote for Trump also tried to start a revolution in Oregon and we saw how that went.

I do admit that the scariest thing about Trump is the fact that he's stopping people from talking about how dangerous Ted Cruz is.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    The guy has so much money, he just wants to get attention, very spoiled and rich person, I doubt the will ever win.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Jerc said:
    The main issue is that Trump does not talk about real solutions to real problems. He throws the most outrageous comments and ideas out there with no sign of any rational solution to any problem whatsoever. He throws lies and insults and basically incarnates every single of the worst cliches about americans but has no other plan than "we are going to do great".
    The main issue is that a lot of people feel so left out and are so defiant of "the establishment" that they take this bulshit as "true talk" and any rational discussion about the real issues is considered "politically correct" and irrelevant.
    I mean a lot of Trump's supporters would rather beleive Trump's blatant lies than any news or scientific source, even once you presented them the facts. Facts do not matter to most of these people, I feel they are driven only by the fear of everything and anything. I find it very scary that such a large portion of the population think this way.
    Just realized you have been given Mod status, Jeremie. Good move on PC's part.

So... I have been following this primary very closely and tried to do some proper vetting/research before coming to a conclusion on some of the candidates, especially Trump. I have found out that Trump has actually been very consistent on the subjects he is known for... which you can see on youtube if you search "Trump 1988". Since 1980, both those on the left and the right (american politics) have been trying to get him to run for president. The significance of him running now, is actually over 25 years in the making. So there is more to the story of Trump than most people probably realize. He has been a registered republican for just over 17 years, an independent for about 9 and a democrat for less than 4. In one interview he said that living and doing business in Manhattan affected his political alignment, but that he tried to get along with everyone as a result.

I could actually find very little in the way of "lies" with him, rather, if anything he exaggerates what he says. To some this might seem like pointless bravado and ego, but to my surprise it is actually something he does intentionally as laid out in his 1987 book, "the art of the deal". In it he refers to it as a rhetorical tool, a "truthful hyperbole" and an "innocent form of exaggeration — and a very effective form of promotion." Now I was also skeptical of its effectiveness at first, but seeing how everything he says becomes a media magnet, a kind of self promotion which results in free advertising... and one which literally sucks all the media attention away from everyone else... I have to say, it works. It starts to look like he plays both the left and right wing media like a fiddle. He uses controversy as a tool.

Here's a few quotes from it:
    "One thing I’ve learned about the press is that they’re always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better. It’s in the nature of the job, and I understand that. The point is that if you are a little different, or a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you. I’ve always done things a little differently, I don’t mind controversy, and my deals tend to be somewhat ambitious."

"I’m not saying that [journalists] necessarily like me. Sometimes they write positively, and sometimes they write negatively. But from a pure business point of view, the benefits of being written about have far outweighed the drawbacks. It’s really quite simple. If I take a full-page ad in the New York Times to publicize a project, it might cost $40,000, and in any case, people tend to be skeptical about advertising. But if the New York Times writes even a moderately positive one-column story about one of my deals, it doesn’t cost me anything, and it’s worth a lot more than $40,000."

"...when a reporter asks me a tough question, I try to frame a positive answer, even if that means shifting the ground. For example, if someone asks me what negative effects the world’s tallest building might have on the West Side, I turn the tables and talk about how New Yorkers deserve the world’s tallest building, and what a boost it will give the city to have that honor again. When a reporter asks why I build only for the rich, I note that the rich aren’t the only ones who benefit from my buildings. I explain that I put thousands of people to work who might otherwise be collecting unemployment, and that I add to the city’s tax base every time I build a new project. I also point out that buildings like Trump Tower have helped spark New York’s renaissance. The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people’s fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That’s why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular."

His methodology is actually very well documented, by himself...and this is back in 1987. He is a living, breathing, example of the effective strategy found in his book. When you realize what you are seeing in his words, his actions, you stop seeing a "bumbling idiot" and you start to see a fascinating, and perhaps brilliant "master persuader". You don't even have to like him to appreciate what you are seeing take place, the mastery of his own technique... and its effectiveness.

Dilbert Comic book creator, Scott Adam's has been documenting this from the moment he ran as a candidate.  He has an entire "master persuader" series in which he lays out both the 2D and 3D elements of what people see in Trump. Rather, the 2D is what it might look like to the untrained eye, but the 3D is more part of the larger strategy, intentionally executed with a goal in mind.
    Here is one quote from Scott:
    "Over time, more people will learn that Trump always makes a huge first ask in any negotiation, so he can control the conversation and protect his flexibility to negotiate. Most voters are still not aware of this pattern. And if you don’t know his pattern, it looks insane. My hypothesis is that the more you know of Trump’s history, the less you worry about his empathy, because his patterns of behavior are consistent to the point of ridiculous. And in those patterns, over a history that stretches for decades, there are curiously few – if any – red flags."
    You can read the rest here (as well as the entire series of continued blog posts...
    http://blog.dilbert.com/post/137221841136/charisma-vs-danger-master-persuader-series

There is also a reason he is not going into the specifics or numbers as you would expect a politician to do. First, you rarely see it at this point in the electoral process (they tend to save that talk for the general election, not the primary). The second reason is... well as you mentioned its scientific, behavioral science. People do not follow numbers and plans easily, the masses are drawn to something more visual, more consistent (repetition). Few if any will have a positive emotional response to laying out the exact number of debt we have and how much taxes or lack there of can reduce it. Instead, talking broadly, convincing people you are competent, talking about solutions they can imagine (such as a wall), react far more strongly. What he is doing is very disciplined by its very nature, while it may not look like he has nothing factual to say... he is staying true to the technique. He is in fact reaching the widest audience by design, and even C-Span has programming where democrats and independents are calling in to switch parties.

Now the question is, will he get more specific during the general when he can only compete against one other person? Or will he keep using the same strategy which has gotten him this far? Either way it will be intentional.

Again I have to stress, you dont have to like him to be fascinated by what he is doing, the mastery at which it is executed. I get that without knowing what he is doing, it will look stupid, but it is objectively far from that. Love him or hate him, he is forcing american politics to evolve (and many of us hope, it means evolving outside of the usual status quo we have grown to hate).
    (on a side note, there is one video worth looking at...its a bit borish but very specific... and that is this one...only interesting if you are researching more about who he is and whats been said about him.)

All that said, I think the globe is going through an upheaval of sorts, I am afraid we are heading towards another world war. Knock on wood that it doesnt happen, at least within our lifetime.

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    My interpretation remains that he's just a stooge to make the other guys seem less monstrous by comparison.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    My interpretation remains that he's just a stooge to make the other guys seem less monstrous by comparison.
    Lotta good that does them if he wins the nomination, it's not like people are just going to go to the polls and write in Kasich's name in.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15

So he plays dumb on purpose you think?
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat said:

So he plays dumb on purpose you think?

https://youtu.be/5NsrwH9I9vE[/youtube]

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Maybe he is a mock fascist - hasn't he donated to the democrats in the past.
    could be worse , imagine if Glenn Beck was president:/
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    OMG, Regan, Bush, who is next, Micky mouse? Oh yeah Trump, same same.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    What Donald Trump is doing is no different to what  UKIP did in the UK. Blaming immigrants for the problems of the country and redirect people's hate towards those as opposed to focusing on solving the actual problems. People do fall for it though which is worrying... 

The fact that he is a very wealthy person makes him even scarier. Most people running for president need the support of external companies for campaign funding which dictates what the candidate will do etc but this guy doesn't need that support, so he isn't attached in anyway to any agenda other than his own.

Anyway, out of the current people running I only view Sanders as a good option, time will tell!
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    That wrestling match was kinda fun
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I really hope colonel sanders wins:)
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savannakhet polycounter lvl 11
    "It's exciting watching footage of his rallies and thinking 'ooh this'll be on a documentary in 20 years time with ominous music playing in the background and here's me watching it live"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuW1n9vdFg
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Closing this thread. Polycount is not your blog. This is not even remotely related to game art.

Please read the Info sticky. Information About Polycount & New Member Introductions
This discussion has been closed.