Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Past Indie Game Model

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
Hello everybody!  I know I keep coming and going here on Polycount and I'm sorry about that.  I need to gather your opinions on some Indie game art I've done.  I created this ship model for the commercial game.  The idea was for it to have stylized cartoonish textures.  The company accepted the model, but shortly after that the game was cancelled.  

[img]http://i.imgur.com/MlycYRy.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TVMavLv.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sfucpYT.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RunQUFU.jpg[/img]

Although the project ended up cancelled, the company was impressed by this model.  So here's my question.  Do you think it is worth showcasing on my website or not?

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Compared to the rest of your folio, are these of better or less quality ?
  • CGXel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGXel polycounter lvl 3
     Do you think it is worth showcasing on my website or not?
    May I ask what's the name of the company?

Regarding the model, I can't tell you if you should or not showcase it, but I personally wouldn't, the textures look rather unfinished, don't forget to show the wireframe because its supposed to be a game model, and the render is not helping either.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pyrzern, to be honest I guess I would say less quality.
    CGXel, the company is Bermuda Software.  I assume they are a start up company.  And if you think this one shouldn't be showcased for sub-par texturing, that's fine.  I understand.  I just thought since it was for an indie game it was worth asking you all.  Thank you.

• CGXel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGXel polycounter lvl 3
    CGXel, the company is Bermuda Software.  I assume they are a start up company.  And if you think this one shouldn't be showcased for sub-par texturing, that's fine.  I understand.  I just thought since it was for an indie game it was worth asking you all.  Thank you.

I apologize because after reading my own comment it has a feeling of destructive criticism and that's not my intention, sorry.

What I tried to say is that in its current state you shouldn't upload it, because it feels unfinished, but it has potential to be really good, you could add a couple more props, work on the texture and finally give it a nice render, I went ahead and took a look at your portfolio, and I can guarantee you that you have the skill set to polish that ship, it all depends on whether or not you want to do it :)
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see.  It's okay, lol.  I know you weren't trying to be destructive in your feedback.  I guess I could spruce it up a little bit and put it on my site.  The thing that made me hesitate was that the game never got complete, and I would for sure rather show work I've done on a game that got released.  But although the game never got released I thought I'd prove what I have on my resume.  

I appreciate your concern CGXEL.  Sorry if I made you feel like a jerk, lol.  I'm thankful for your feedback and I hope to continue to collect your critique on future projects.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I was in similar boat. Made some models for indie games that went no where. Decided not to put those stuff on my folio, because my personal proj were way better...
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to brag or anything, but I feel the same way about my personal work, lol.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done work on an Indie game and decided not to use the work for website reasons.  By the way, where do you usually go when you are looking for Indie game projects to be a part of?