Home General Discussion

Looking for new IPS monitor

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Higuy polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys - I know these topics are always popping up here, but wanted to know your opinion. I currently have a triple monitor setup and I'm looking to replace the monitors I have now with three identical ones - the ones now are each just slightly different and are also getting a bit old. They are definitely showing their age.

I'm also looking for a monitor with tilt/vertical functionality.

I've come across these two monitors which seem nice, but I'm by no means a monitor expert here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236453 - 25" Asus at 2k

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260174 -24" Dell at 1080p

My current monitors right now are at 1080p each, but I wouldn't mind moving to 2k. My main concern is color accuracy (something that isn't consistent between the monitors I have now) and just overall being decent - I spend most of my time in game engines like UE4.

Thoughts? They are much appreciated!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1080p is basically 2k, do you mean 1440p?

Also I'd also suggest looking at all IPS monitors with vesa mounts, instead of just ones with pivot, you can easily get your own stand with the features you want. 
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry yeah, that's what I mean, as you can see I definitely have a lot to learn here when it comes to monitors lol.

Thanks for the tip, I'll start looking into those then!
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I'm no expert but I have the Dell U2415, which is like the 16:10 version of the U2414H, and I like it a lot.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Dell monitors are a good bet; check out the UP2516D
    I run a 1200p IPS Dell monitor atm and am happy with it.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I have been using a Dell U2715H for a few months now. I love it. It's 1440p, IPS, 27 inches and 97% (iirc) sRGB accurate. it's beautiful, can't fault it. I have it mounted on an ergotron arm, which allows a massive amount of repositioning - really nice for changing how you work, or rotating to read stuff in portrait. These aren't cheap options though, I think the monitor is around £400 and the arm is about £110. I think there is a 24 inch version of the monitor for cheaper. I can't fault the setup though.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Lot of Dell owners here, I have a U2415. I basically just picked it by going through TFTCentrals monitor selector tool, very happy with it.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I recently bought a P2416D. It is a nice display for the price (I paid 320 shipped). It isn't 4k, but QHD is still pretty good :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a big fan of Dell monitors, but I wouldn't get a 1080P 24" screen. Given the choice between these two monitors I would go with the Asus, which appears to have a nice panel. Asus and Dell monitors often use exactly the same panels, so it's not like Dell has some secret sauce here.

As far as color accuracy goes, with an AH-IPS panel that is almost certainly 8-bit, the Asus screen should be perfectly capable of showing accurate colors. What is less certain is how well calibrated it will be out of the box, so you should probably look into a hardware calibrator if you're doing color critical work. This applies to the Dell equally as well and pretty much any monitor that isn't a top end model from NEC designed for color work.
  • Geexile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geexile polycounter lvl 8
    I was huge fan of Dell monitors as well, but the last one that i bought is U2415 and i`m not happy with that model at all , it has very bad IPS glow. I think they made those models with very cheap backlight , and the problem is really bad , so bad that when i play Alien Isolation i see that glow all the time. But it seams to be not problem to all U2415 , so maybe if you have luck you can buy a decent one. Anyway i`ll be choosing different brand next , maybe BenQ ......decide just to share to have this in mind ;)
    Cheers
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I bought this not too long ago:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002809

Not as large as the ones you've picked out, but I can say I'm happy with the quality and the brand.  It calibrated well, the inputs are nice (I've got my tablet's wifi adapter plugged in discreetly in the side).  Can't speak to the speaker quality but pretty sure nobody buys monitors for their speakers.

Just throwing another possibility your way.

• Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    For what its worth I have 2 HP 25xi at home and I love them. I can't tell the difference between my ultrasharps at work and those at home.
  • Geexile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geexile polycounter lvl 8
    Btw i`m considering buying BenQ SW2700PT  next , it looks really promising you can check it out if you want , there is a review in Tom`s Hardware .
    It`s twice as expensive as Dell 2415, but it has almost perfect color reproduction .
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm still looking into this and going to keep looking into it until I can find something I'm happy with. I'm definitely thinking I might upgrade to 1440p this time around rather than stick with 1080p, but not sure how big the monitors will need to be. If I go bigger than 24" I'll probably have to go back down to 2 monitors rather than 3 because of space on my desk, but not sure I'd want to do that right now. Price is also something I'm trying to keep in mind since its sort of a big purchase and I'd have to buy multiple lol.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Definitely go for 1440p its just so much better than 1080p.
    Selling my 4k monitor because its just too dense and I have really good eyesight, really can not recommend 4k on anything under 32" especially not considering most programs are not ready for proper scaling, including windows.
    1440p is the best of both worlds right now.
    Currently have 2x Asus RPG PG279Q , theyre for gaming but the colors were so similar to my "pro" LG 4k that I decided to stick with 2 of them.

that asus with IPS you linked for 350 dollar, thats a steal