Home General Discussion

How do YOU give feedback?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
I haven't posted anything in a while so here's something I've wondered about the way people give feedback.

So you see someone's work and you comment on it. What goes through your head to decide what to say?
  • Do you have a list of criteria that you look out for? (e.g. accuracy, lighting, material definition etc.)
  • Do you give feedback on something you don't feel like you have a strong knowledge about?
  • How much experience do you have in that field before you feel you have an informed opinion?
  • How do you go about subjective matters like design direction? What is your advice based upon?
Btw, I'm not trying to say "if you aren't an expert in something then don't bother commenting". I just want to understand the thought process behind giving more constructive feedback.

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I think the most important thing is general artistic feel, as in the first thing you see or feel about the piece, and it's easy to spot something wrong, or the attention to detail, composition, contrasts, etc. In-short, it should be as cool as it can! :P

I think this sells the piece (gets the viewer interested), and then you can start going in-depth, on functionality (like this will not work, doesn't move this way, etc) and on the technical aspects, which I consider mostly nitpicks, like texture seams, artifacts, layout of UV's and so on.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    1: Has the artist stated their intent?
    i.e. Stylized realistic hand painted hunter, Post Apocalyptic Scifi PBR Environment, etc.
    This is the most important question IMO. Telling someone that the eyes are too big when they're sculpting a PowerPuff Girl is misguided and a waste of time.

2: What are the trying to accomplish/learn, i.e. Why are they doing this?
    Is it a figure study? A lighting study? Texture study? Its not a study, just an idea that they want to explore and get see how people respond?

3: What do I think is wrong VS What do I know is wrong?
    One is subjective (I do not think that shade of blue works) and one is objective (That shade of blue is wrong based on the concept provided)
    For characters, I try and take into account whether or not the thing Im looking at falls into an acceptable range stylistically and anatomically.

4: What do I like and why do I like it?
    The more I understand this question the more strongly I can build a case for my crits.

5: Whats a technical limitation and whats a skill limitation?
    Ex- Bad shading, your normals are fucked / Face looks like a potato... Uhhh, whats your reference?

I dont write every crit with these questions like a checklist, these are just things going through my head when i choose to give feedback.

Edit:
    Forgot one of the most important things, I usually double check what I've written and remove any emotional language if it's slipped in.

• Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I avoid giving feedback on a lot of content since I feel I don't know enough to provide much value. I'm horrible with anatomy, so aside from more glaring errors, I struggle to provide useful critical feedback.
    That said, I do try to provide feedback when I can pin point what appears "off", and I like to highlight what works about the piece and what doesn't.

Sometimes, I honestly don't have any critiques to point out, but I do try to make a point of calling out that I like it. Sometimes it feels a little hollow, but I like to think that everyone likes a little bit of encouragement over silence. 

The more art I do myself, the more I learn and feel like I am able to provide feedback.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    aggressively and without mercy.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Shit sandwich.

That's the best way to give feedback. You start with something good about the model, then just start listing everything that is bad and finish with another good thing. It really help to get your point across with people who are not used to get feedback.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I only critique animations, as that's my field. When I do, I crit the execution side of it all. the 12 principles. As best as I can. I try not to crit their idea. If I have a suggestion that changes their over all idea, I try to make a suggestion that would stick to their idea as closely as possible, while still improving upon it. I feel when you start to critique peoples ideas, rather than the execution, it's all subjective, and you can definitely come across as a douche. Of course, there are ways around that, and sometimes peoples ideas just don't make sense or are unclear, so they need a bit of guidance. But it's their reel. Their portfolio. 

If you do need to help guide their idea, i find it's best to ask what their intention is first. What point are they trying to make. What do they want the piece to say to the audience. So when do you make your suggestions, they are educated suggestions that are helping them work towards their goal. You should also always note that it is your personal preference, when it comes to changing their ideas, and that it's up to them to decide if they like it or not. That is, of course, for the extreme noobs. Experienced guys know this, so you dont have to tip toe as much. That's also the tricky part with noobs. You have to be firm but fair. And it's best to shit sandwich them. Try not to discourage them, but rather push them in the right direction and get them to keep trying.

Critiques, after all, are not about telling people exactly what to do, but rather, they are to help people learn how to make better decisions, and how to execute their ideas better and more clearly. They are suppose to teach people how to improve. They are NOT suppose to take the thinking out of it all, where they just mindlessly fix what you tell them. 

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Usually I like I comment on first read. You know, first impression.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I like to mix it as well.. the "sandwich".
    Point out you like it/what you like and then note what could be done... but I guess the positive starter ends up feeling forced anyway. :/
    To me it still feels like the kind of respect the person deserves for putting so much effort into it.
    Sometimes brutal honesty is ok as well.

Oh and I like to avoid any fanboy comments that don't help anyone.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    A lot more bluntly than I probably should. I have a very difficult time padding my criticism with hollow praise to soften the blow. I understand why people do this, new artists need to be encouraged and I think that is probably the right attitude. But I hate being on the receiving end of it, it feels patronizing.

I mainly just try to make sure I am always explaining my reasoning, I absolutely hate when people post shit without explanation. If something is just my opinion then I try to state it as such, either by saying it's an opinion or by saying it's just what I would do were I in their shoes.

I don't like leaving generalized or non-specific feedback. If the best advice I can give without spending an hour writing a long post and doing paintovers is "Spend more time, study anatomy and pay closer attention to your refs" then I usually just won't comment at all.

• Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    huffer said:
    I think the most important thing is general artistic feel, as in the first thing you see or feel about the piece, and it's easy to spot something wrong, or the attention to detail, composition, contrasts, etc.
    @huffer
    I wonder if you can elaborate a bit on what would lead you to think something was off about a piece and what advice you would give them to improve it?

MrHobo said:
    4: What do I like and why do I like it?
    The more I understand this question the more strongly I can build a case for my crits.
    @mrhobo
    This is the thing, what's the answer to this question? It's not always clear why you might like something so how do you go about breaking it down?

@marshkin
    I think I'm in the same boat as you here. I don't feel well versed enough to crit with any real merit, so I just observe what other people write and try and learn from them.

@almighty_gir
    Haha, but for real?

@popol
    I hear you about the way to deliver feedback, I'm just more curious about the way you go about finding the good and bad.

@slipsius
    Ok right, so you stick to what you know and being an animator means you can give objective animation feedback. Your points about subjective feedback are also interesting, thanks.

@panupat
    I see, what would you give you a good/bad first impression then and what would you feed back to them?

@cay
    Yeah I'm not sure about fanboying either. I guess I would also ask you about what might prompt you to comment on a piece?

@atticusmars
    I resonate with your points here. This is Polycount, and should be about improvement more than just praise. Explaining your reasoning is something I wish I saw more of. It's kind of why I made this thread. Sometimes you just want to know how someone reached their decision. Time is also a massive factor in feedback, yes. I've spent ages before deliberating on what to say to someone only to end up saying nothing!
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    REFERENCE

MAKE SURE YOU USE REFERENCE
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I usually give them a compliment(cause most people deserve that, we all know this stuff isn't easy to make) and then tell them some of the biggest things I've spotted that may improve the overall quality of their work, eg the lighting is too harsh or the proportions of the arms look weird. I don't usually go into the minutia like the skin doesn't quite look real enough or those tiling textures have slightly too many repeats for my liking as I think these things may be subjective.

If necessary I will also try to explain why my criticism will help them improve the quality of their work, its always good to know someones reasoning rather than just getting comments like "make the edges softer" and not knowing why that would help you get a better bake.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator

Kroma! said:
    @huffer
    I wonder if you can elaborate a bit on what would lead you to think something was off about a piece and what advice you would give them to improve it?

Well I value a piece over it's artistic merit, as in traditional values, I think it's the most important thing, above technical details or functionality.

For example, if it's a drawing, I might look at overall composition, in the classical sense (framing, point of interests, color contrast, etc), and then on details like brush strokes, plasticity, confidence. These things are easy to spot as long as you trained your eye a lot (by looking over tons of great pieces =D), and you can only analyse as far as your eye is trained. When I was just getting into art I would look at some drawings and be impressed, but years later I can see obvious mistakes and now I know what could be improved, and I can see the skill level of the artist.

For something 3D I'll look at the general flow of shapes, whether repeating patterns and large shapes mixed together are pleasing, contrast of hard lines and soft shapes, etc, and then the same color contrasts and interest points (which can even be little cool details).

And you don't really have to think a lot about these, they just pop, and if everything is good, then you can go in-depth and analyze what or how could be improved (for example changing colors, rounding off some parts, etc). But if nothing is off and it's already visually pleasing, I think changes are subjective at this point, and you can never definitely say that doing this or that is better then what the artist already did. Unless your feedback is on a technical, or functional level, not artistic. In those cases the critique can be objective.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I try and just point out what is obviously wrong, not make any artistic judgements these days. that generally leads to people saying that
    it is a stylistic choice, or maybe I just don't bother
    I think polycount used to give much more honest criticism, these days people seem loathe to comment at all.
    I like to point out nice pieces because I am  not a dick. nothing wrong with giving praise where it's due.

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I try hard being harsh because so little people give any good comments, especially the good artists never seem to get anything valuable out of their threads, and just say what I think. I personally find it very sad when I cant get any good harsh critique on my work so I try doing that as much of that as possible, thats kinda my agenda here, although ive did more in the past, too much to do currently sadly
    Ive mostly focussed around people trying to get their first job as they need portfolio critique the most and you can quickly summarize
    a lot of things with bulletpoints, sometimes I did paintovers or webpage mockups, often a lot of text with quick bullet points as if I were in a rush.

no rules behind but packing in some praise is certainly a good idea, even if its all bad, you have to realize the current skill level
    and then base some things around that. If per example texturing is below their current skill level, its important to point that out and vice versa. Its all about locating their level and then give critique around that. The better ones get very specific critique the other ones more broad suggestions and general things. People that have perfect modeling and texturing etc are getting critique on their presentation, lighting, photoshop work logo  and theres always something to help with.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    I have tried several types of giving feedback. Regular feedback, shit sandwich, points...

Overall, the best method I have found is to do paint-overs:

1. They help you get into the right mood for critiquing. The right mood being that you want to get this art piece as good as possible.
    2. They help identifying problems. Even though we visualise how certain fixes can help, doing a paint-over sets them into practice, and helps identifying other issues. Furthermore, because you are interacting with the image, you see more.
    3. They take far less time than you think.
    4. They communicate very effectively what you think needs changing, how that would look, and most importantly, it allows the other artist to judge if that is what they want.
    5. They prevent communication errors caused by unusual art-terminology. The most difficult critique I had wasn't critique that was harsh, rather it was critique I just didn't understand. Mostly because the other person was under the impression I was being touchy-feely, while I just didn't understand what the hell they were going on about.(We were both speaking normal plain english, it just seems we came from different traditions of talking about form)
    6. They make you a better artist as well. Doing a paint-over requires you to go back and look at the basics so you can explain them properly. Then applying those basics onto a paint-over is a very good exercise, and allows you to re-evaluate your own skills.

I don't always do paint-overs, though I think I should do them more, especially with advanced 2d artists. Generally, I favour them due to the way they help communicate, especially when it comes to the fiddly communicating that is necessary for stylised work, because it allows you to get past the boring 'what do you mean stage' and into the goody 'oh, but I would like to solve it like this'.

You also don't have to shit-sandwich this way. Just start with weak points, finish with strong points.

Maybe not always applicable with 3d art, but it should help a lot.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    @Ryswick
    Of course! Reference is so key!

@Ged
    Yeah once again explaining critiques it helps so much. Say if you were talking about lighting, would you point out to the person "Your lighting is too harsh because of a,b,c. You can fix it by doing x,y,z"?

@huffer
    Thanks, this is the sort of answer I was hoping for! As far as training your eye, how did you get to the stage you are at now? Was it a lot of classical art theory? I find your breakdown of 3D pieces interesting, those points would probably not occur to me at this stage. How could someone learn to create artwork with these in mind?

@dustinbrown
    Yeah, I mean, that's what Polycount is all about right? Could you possibly expand upon what you might critique an artist about?

@Ruz
    I know what you mean, you can only go so far with objective crits. I hope Polycount hasn't lost that vibe, it's kind of what it's known for.

@Shrike
    Shame you feel that people don't give good comments, how could this be changed? I always see you giving crits on guns, what are you looking for on those pieces and how did you come to have such an understanding of them?

@Wolthera
    These are some great points, they make complete sense. Seeing as you're a 2D artist, do you look for more traditional art principles upon which to base your feedback?

Also thanks for everyone's input so far, it's great!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Yeah once again explaining critiques it helps so much. Say if you were talking about lighting, would you point out to the person "Your lighting is too harsh because of a,b,c. You can fix it by doing x,y,z"?

Its tricky because some people on here have been making games for many years and may feel patronised if you explain how to handle common things to them. I try to gauge where the person is at and explain based on my assumptions, sometimes I probably get it wrong and look like a bit of a prat. Some people just have different workflows and prefer to leave certain tasks till the end etc and may not appreciate feedback on things they have planned to do later.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I generally critique on Anatomy/Likeness/Faithful recreation of concept, and then more technical skills.

I generally try to avoid critiquing designs, unless they're seriously flawed or off-putting.

That said, if the concept is what I consider weak, I probably won't comment at all.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Popol said:
    Shit sandwich.

That's the best way to give feedback. You start with something good about the model, then just start listing everything that is bad and finish with another good thing. It really help to get your point across with people who are not used to get feedback.
    Yeah the sandwitch. I dont want that when people comment on my work here because it is a waste of their time. People shouldnt have to waste energy on being nice, it is an extra step, they should feel free to go right for the throat. I feel that encourages more responses and those reactions are way more usefull anyhow. Personally when teaching I always use the sandwitch outlined by Popol above and especially in private instruction, but that is a different situation to a forum. Private instruction is 4x 4 hour slots where the student has to process loads of information (concentrating for that length of time can be exhausting for anyone) and encouragement really helps to lighten the load and create a more comfortable learning environment.

Criticizing in a work environment is different again. In a learning situation people are doing things for the first time but in a commercial setting the only aim is to produce the best possible product in the shortest time. In an ideal team if I am your art-director you should know I love you and your work or you wouldn't be sitting there!  Ideally then we should be able to get down to business minus the hearts and flowers. I think that is the most efficient work method, its a pity that is seldom the case though. Just about everyone needs a kind word to perform properly.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    @Ged
    It's tricky because people have such diverse levels of knowledge. Something one person might think is common knowledge could actually be alien to another. Maybe it's best to just start with basic feedback and get more complex if the response is positive.

@JacqueChoi
    That's interesting, your feedback is mostly objective? So what would you consider to be weak design, or even the opposite, strong design?

@kanga
    4x 4 hour slots? With such long sessions, you must be heavily deconstructing their work. What sort of critique would you cover with a student in one of your classes?

@dustinbrown
    Ah you're similar to Jacque in that you stay objective. As you're a character artist, I see on your website that you took lots of courses about anatomy and sculpting. How much of the feedback you give would you say was based on traditional artistic principles like those?
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Jacque is 100x the artist I am; heed his advice.

I try to keep my feedback  as close to completely grounded in those principles as I can. Anything beyond that is subjectivity and not often helpful to the artist receiving the feedback. It's more an analytical process than one based on feelings. Thoughtful application of those grounded principles almost always leads to a stronger design in the end, as long as you understand their intent. We often learn these design principles when we are young adults learning about art, but they go in one ear and out the other at that time. It's only through years of working up your own skill level that you slowly start to see the value in each of those principles and truly internalize them. I use that internalization as a sort of lens for critiquing other's work. You can also think of it as a simple checklist. As long as the artist is hitting all the design principles on the list, everything else is up to personal taste. The one exception that comes to mind being craft, meaning attention to detail and the overall adroitness displayed in your work.
    This is such a great answer, thanks. I feel like I am very much in that phase of being aware of those principles but it's not ingrained or comprehensive. Time to make some more art!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ohh staahp   dustin.  You're a rad artist.

;P

Kroma! said:

@JacqueChoi
    That's interesting, your feedback is mostly objective? So what would you consider to be weak design, or even the opposite, strong design?

Not coming from an 'Art Directors' PoV, but simply for artists looking to find work:
    It's hard to break down, but it has to have an impressive level of detail, and execution, while avoiding the pitfalls of using 'style' as a crutch.

No matter how amazingly exceptionally well made you can make this fire hydrant, it will never ever be remotely as impressive as a Harrier Jet Engine:

Other times, simple things can have a TON of appeal, but I wouldn't  know how to critique that. Sometimes we can strengthen a silhouette, or a design choice, or fix things feel non-functional.

• Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    Actually, there is a way to give proper concrit for stylistic choices... But it involves finding similar styles and digging into the philosophical grounding of a style(yes, yes, put on your monocles).

For example, if someone does a handpainted model, we can analyse the style and assume it's inspired by looney tunes, or by disney princess films, or by anime, or by warcraft painted models. Like a good example of this was... a year back or so? Someone was obviously doing a texturing attempt at warcraft style, and someone else said something along the lines of 'hmz, I think warcraft has baked in the specular and ambient occlusion. Maybe it's an idea to look at DotA style models as well if you are intent on seperating the specular?'

That was a good comment because it first assesses the style(this is warcraft inspired), then points out a problem (warcraft style textures have the specular baked in, so any style separating those will look different), proposes a solution (check out the dota models, maybe?), but leaves it up to the artist to decide what they'll do.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I don't critique art often these days. But usually I prefer if the outcome of a critique is a mutual understanding, and, ideally, the artist learning something, so he can avoid the problem in the future. However, I have no problem pointing out the same mistakes again, and again, and again until the artist improves. Is it annoying? Sure, but you will be happy once you "got it" and the supervisor doesn't point out the same flaw yet again.
    About how direct I have to be... that depends. Eventually you will understand how to handle different people in your team, and which approach works best - however, keep in mind you'll have to work with them every day, so agressive or insulting or embarassing feedback is generally not a good idea. If there's anything like this ever required, then it should happen in private.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I usually try to keep my critiques as objective as possible with reference whenever possible. The fact that I don't like the overall style or design of something because of personal preference would end up creating friction in the critique and make it less beneficial. If it is someone I know well, I may toss out a few subjective suggestions but I usually keep them very brief and don't harp on them. More of something for the person to try if they're in the mood. 

Furthermore, I try to find a relevant real work or conceptual example with my critiques. I find that it helps the person receiving the critique understand where I'm coming from more often. Lets say a material isn't reading properly. It's easy to say "add more surface variation to this rubber". It's more beneficial to say that and include a visual example of what you're talking about. That gives a clear and direct goal for the artist to hit. If the model is too visually noisy with panel cuts all over the place, I'll link a tutorial or a collection of artist works that show a good ratio of minimal and heavy detail (70/30 rule kinda). 

I also like to point out areas that could be fixed on the next model. There are times where a model is good but there are a few little things in the high poly or UV that could be fixed on the next piece. Stuff that isn't worth spending another week going back and fixing but is beneficial to know the next time around. 

Finally, I usually don't spend too much time harping on the same critique unless it's a person that I know well. Most of the time I will try to be as detailed as possible and leave it at that. It's up to the artist whether or not they want to incorporate them. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Kroma! said:

@kanga
    4x 4 hour slots? With such long sessions, you must be heavily deconstructing their work. What sort of critique would you cover with a student in one of your classes?
    Hey Kroma! Yeah the 4x4 hour slots are instruction, so a student is full on learning to use an app. In my case that is ZBrush or 3DSMax. As a general rule straight up teaching should not be longer than 40 minutes because most people cant concentrate past that period of time. You know yourself that you can work at computer graphics for very long periods so instruction is broken up with practical exercises otherwise such long timeslots wouldn't work. Here good information and encouragement are appropriate.

Cheers
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, I am still reading these!

@JacqueChoi
    So it's about finding something that strikes the balance between visually appealing and technically complex. For someone to design something like that whilst also making sure it remains functional sounds like a real challenge.

@Wolthera
    Oh right, that's awesome, having a broad knowledge of styles and techniques and then being able to help someone. That kind of comment can really boost some of the less experienced artists.

@Kwramm
    It's a fine line you tread there! About pointing out the same mistakes, are they technical or design based (or other)?

@beefaroni
    Great answer, thanks. Your kind of feedback is exactly what an artist would need in order to improve. If you were going to give someone subjective suggestions, what kind of things would you talk about?

@kanga
    Thanks for the reply, are those students complete beginners then? I guess you aren't critiquing them too heavily in that case, is it more fundamentals of accuracy and technique?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yes its like you say. All I really wanted to contribute is there are different situations that require different approaches.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Kroma! said:
    Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, I am still reading these!

@Kwramm
    It's a fine line you tread there! About pointing out the same mistakes, are they technical or design based (or other)?

Most of those are sloppiness mistakes, either technical or artistic. Artists need to give their work a final check against the reference or brief, or against previous feedback (that's why you should take notes if it's not written down by anyone), regardless if they work on a shader, VFX or a script. The best insurance, for an artist, is to have a consistent quality and completeness checking approach before calling a supervisor for review. Then everyone will be happy: the review will be short and painless and the artist won't hear the same complaints again. The challenge lies in "artists being artists" and not everyone takes notes or has strong organization for their own work.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    @kanga
    Alright, thanks for your input!

@Kwramm
    A checklist for quality? That sounds great, do you use one yourself?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Yes, we do. We usually get checklists from our clients (I work for an outsourcer), regarding artistic and technical issues we have to adhere to. Sometimes we get an art bible too, if it exists. The big clients, who can afford it, are usually very thorough in their documentation. Other clients are less thorough. On top we have our own checklists, so we can shorten the feedback loop between us and client - the less often the asset goes back-and-forth between us and client, the better. Artists too can look up the checklists and shorten the internal feedback loop between them and the art director. When possible we also use automatic checking tools for technical things, where the artists can check their assets. Some of our clients also have such tools, which they use on the assets they receive, in addition to an art review.

Your main goal is: keep feedback loops short and reduce the number of iterations per feedback loop, for best efficiency.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    @Kwramm
    That's really interesting, thanks for the insight :smile: