Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Ghost of Wings

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
MOST RECENT:

-----
I'm finally making a topic for this concept that I've been brooding over for the last couple weeks.

I don't know the full detailed background of my beast yet but my basic idea is that at one time this supernatural creature had wings and lost them, maybe akin to something like a fallen angel. Consumed by rage and misery he kept his beauties (a pair of white birds) caged to keep him company. In doing this he also effectively keeps them from using their own wings to fly, helping him feel better to think they're all grounded together. He wouldn't realise that this is what causes him become a beast. But the birds have somehow managed to escape, and now he's left holding an empty cage in anguish while subconsciously touching the remnants of feathers left from his lost wings, unable to join them in flight.

My reference gathering includes images that I personally find chilling and therefore fitting for a beast. Most of them feature skinny, spindly beings with hollow eyes that translates to a lack of soul.

I spent a few days in ZBrush trying to get a good pose and really went to town pushing the form around at the cost of overlooking anatomy for the time being. I haven't worked out if I want the feet to be hooves, leaning towards a more demonic type of being, but I don't think the hooves would compliment the idea of feathers and flying either. I would also like to have four arms - two smaller ones holding the empty cage, one of the larger hands touching the feathers on his shoulder and the last hand reaching out in the direction of where the birds flew away.

Note: the arm reference is from the movie Black Swan during the transition sequence from human to swan when feathers start to grow from Natalie Portman's character's skin.

I think the pose is pretty good for now, so I have to start getting some of that anatomy worked out. I know it's very sloppy at the moment but you have to start somewhere. Please also note that I haven't done any work on the arms as of yet either. The extra two limbs might make building the back muscles a bit challenging and there will also likely be bony remnants of where the wing joints are around the shoulder blades. Any thoughts with this would be great. :) Thanks for reading!

Replies