Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Fredric Lind

PaxTerra
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PaxTerra polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone and welcome to my sketchbook thread. Hopefully this thread will eventually be filled with content as I work towards getting employed in the game industry. :smile: 

My name is Fredric and I am a graduate from Gscept, a Computer Graphic Arts school located in northern Sweden where I studied from 2011-2015. For eight months now, I have been building a new portfolio from scratch as I realised too late while in school what it was I really wanted to work with: Game Environments

For the longest time in school, I always thought that I wanted to work with character creation and character animation, a field that I have heard is very popular among students but really difficult to find jobs except if you're very good. I did some work with characters but when I look back upon it now, I realise that it was all sub-par and that I really should've focused on something else. It took until three months before graduation that I finally realised what I wanted to do and it is not fun to think of all those years toiling for a field I was never going to have a chance in and now had to start over. 

Thus, this is what I have created for the past eight months (all in Unreal Engine 4):

Hospital Wing (2015)
Since I had never really focused on environments before, this was a new field for me but its clear to me that I love doing it even though its not up to par with the seasoned artists up there (but I'm working towards it!). The programs I used for this was UE4, Photoshop and Maya. It took me around two months to fully complete it (way too long time for sure!).

Apartment (2015)
This was a much bigger project than the previous one and its still a WIP. The thing I must push in this one is lighting and shadows and improve textures. The same programs were used at this project as on the previous one though I have started to test Substance Painter and Designer a bit as well. Still a lot to learn about those programs though. 

Sci-fi Server Room
This is the latest project I'm working on simultaneously with the Apartment project. This project is less than two weeks work though so I'm improving yet slowly. :neutral: I wanted to create something really sci-fi-ish, with emissive lights and streamlined architecture. It's too dark at present but it's a WIP. 
----

As a final note for this post, I would strongly appreciate all kinds of feedback, comments and ideas that would help me improve my work as I really want to work in the game industry one day. I have not applied to any job in the industry yet as I feel my work is not good enough yet.(am I right or wrong? I can handle the truth!) 

I do know that I need to work on lighting and improving my texture skills and workflow as I feel they are very lacking in regards to the other Environmental Artists out there. Anything else I need to focus on and improve? Please tell me. :smiley: 

Replies